A lifetime without compressors

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BigWillyInd, Dec 1, 2012.

1. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

I tried them with new 9V Alkaline batteries and Boss 9 volt power adapter. Made no difference with either unit.

2. teleburst87

teleburst87 NEW MEMBER!

I bought an MXR dynacomp a few months ago. I like what it does for my tone but I find that when I use it with a full band (6 members) I get kind of drowned out. Especially when I'm playing chords, I can hardly hear myself. It seems like I have little control over the overall volume. I usually have it with the output at 2 and the sensitivity at 10. If I turn the output up I get way too loud compared to when the pedal is off and the signal gets noisy. Is this an issue I am going to run into with any compressor? Should I upgrade to a custom comp or something a little more expensive?

3. tpenrod

tpenrod NEW MEMBER!

I'm in the "try 'em before you buy 'em camp. I have tried many, and love what they do for my sound. However - I am stunned by the almost total absence of discussion re: the difference in pickups and pedals, and how those two factors can impact the sound with a comp. I'm a gear hound, no doubt. I love the tonal possibilities. Still - changing a single pedal in the chain really means I'm starting over. My vintage '57 tele rings like a church bell, and sounds TOTALLY different than my custom shop tele with the greasebucket tone circuit through the same chain. Too many combos to pick a "best." I really like my Keeley and my Pigtronix. Kissed a bunch of toads to get there. Pucker up, friend. Take your guitar AND your pedalboard to your favorite retailer. Plug into an amp that's as close to yours as you can find, and a/b them until you find the right one, or decide there isn't a right one. P.S. if you find a perfect Wah, please let me know. :) enjoy the ride, friends.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.