1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A lifetime warranty - that’s being honored ! (Bicycle content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

3 yr old Trek DS4 hybrid bike . Was always a creaky ride but 3 weeks ago I found cracks through the welds where the top tube hits the seat tube. It’s an aluminum frame btw.

DEBEC217-97B3-4DBC-A22B-38E1DC25A7DA.jpeg

Took it to a Trek dealer and they said “yeah, it will probably be covered, but we’ll run it up the flag pole and see.”

Found out today - free replacement with their current DS4 or (and this is where I get into trouble) $1200 credit toward
    another Trek.

I have no use for a suspension fork though that DS4 was a great bike - I just don’t ride trails - at all.

I want this Checkpoint SL 5 (full carbon) gravel

D295AB8D-6C3B-48AB-A900-9EC7469471A4.jpeg
    but I’d have to pony up $1600 .

It’s probably going to end up being an aluminum something or other gravel bike like the ALR5

9B869EFA-6706-4526-8423-D2875A3D6F2D.jpeg
    where I’d only have to hand them $800 or so.

Long and short of it is , they are a huge company so they could just flick me off their shoulder and tell me to pack sand but - they are honoring their very ill-defined lifetime warranty.

I did buy all my road bikes from Trek in the 80’s (American made !) so, the way I figure it - they owe me ! :lol:

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

You bike guys are crazy!

Are you saying that orange bike is a 2800 dollar bike?

I don’t get it, I guess if you enjoy it that’s all that matters

It’s nice that they have good warranties

It’s a shame they can’t just fix the one you already have, it’s cheaper to dump it and give you a new one than really fixing it

nojazzhere and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

bad weld= new frame. Congrats. If you really prefer drop bars then maybe it's worth going full-on gravel bike, which is the new trendy thing. On the other hand there are some advantages to the flat bar configuration.

I think it's super cool that they're willing to give you a whole new bike rather than just a new frame. I've never cracked a frame but I've known lots of guys who have, and typically they just get a new frame and have to switch all their components over from their broken frame to their new frame. (Done for free by the licensed dealer, of course...). My guess is that at this spec level it's cheaper for the Trek factory to send you a whole bike rather than have to kick back whatever payment from them would be needed to cover the local dealer's labor to switch over the components. The good news is you can strip all the components off your old bike for spare parts. (For that reason alone I might go for the straight up replacement.)

4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'll probably be paying somewhere around that for the new bike I'm planning to get but it is an e-bike that will aid my ailing body in getting some exercise. It's either that or a scooter. :)

Driver3 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

From one amateur and underachieving cyclist to another, go for the upgrade. A $2k bike is 50% better than a $1k bike. But a $3k bike is only 15% better than a $2k. or something like that.

Deathray and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Think about that $2800 bike like a Custom Shop Telecaster . Most people are well-matched to an MIM Telecaster or Am Std Tele . Others are rich enough to afford or skilled enough to really want something better. Cycling is literally the only thing that ever came naturally to me , that I could do at a high-level from the get-go. I suck at everything else.

Nah - it doesn’t work that way . Free replacement of complete bike or credit toward something higher. I don’t get to keep any of my old bike.

7. chris m.

Fretting Out-- you are right, bikes are crazy expensive. They didn't used to be that way. Maybe it reflects increasing inequality in our society-- super expensive bikes vs. WalMart and Costco bikes..... but it is crazy that you can get a nice motorcycle for less than a human-powered mountain bike. Here's an example:

A Suzuki DRZ400S, a nice, street-licensed thumper bike with front and rear suspension costs $6,799 and can go just about anywhere and up to over 90 mph.

A top of the line Yeti SB165 mountain bike, front and rear suspension, designed for serious downhill mountain biking, with no motor of any kind, costs $8,799.

richiek65, yojimbo and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. 100LL

Bicycles are indeed a strange market, not unlike guitars in many ways (as stated).
    You can also buy a $14,000 Martin D-42 Dreadnought. That would feel pretty strange in my hands. Just like a $10k bike would feel to my behind.
    As they say, if it's not affordable to you then it's not enjoyable.

Last bike I bought cost more than my first car (yes, inflation adjusted). It is a Titanium Lynskey 1x12 SRAM etap road bike with hydraulic disc brakes. A bit of a stretch for me but not so much that I ride in fear.

I think the prices are just a consequence (like guitars) of their manufacturing process, influenced strongly by how much hand labor they get.

Mike Eskimo and chris m. like this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My advice is kick in the $1,600 and skip a step making yourself happy.

With boats it’s two foot itis. I want a boat two foot longer. Buy the one now four foot longer and be done with it.

Do the same thing with the bike and skip a step.

10. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I had a carbon Bianchi with Shimano Ultegra that I used for the better part of a decade. It was in your "custom shop" territory per the analogy. It didn't really translate from the Alps where I used it to Central London, so we parted ways.

These days, I'm over the brand name and I get everything from Decathlon, which is basically to sporting goods what IKEA is to furniture. I can get an aluminum frame bicycle from Decathlon (which I prefer over carbon) with the same Shimano components for slightly above 1/2 of the price of the Bianchi.

So my advice is to take the free like for like replacement and spend the $1600 or whatever the top of the line Decathlon bike costs (there will be an Ultegra equipped one somewhere in that price zone) and have two bikes! Trek may have been a USA made bike once but I would be seriously surprised to learn that this is the case now.

OT: I was born and raised in Detroit. It's been some time but where can one ride a bicycle safely there?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My advice is kick in the $1,600 and skip a step making yourself happy.

With boats it’s two foot itis. I want a boat two foot longer. Buy the one now four foot longer and be done with it.

Do the same thing with the bike and skip a step.

yojimbo likes this.
  12. chris m.

There are a few big advantages of staying with Trek, even without the $800 credit--

1) they have the nation's largest dealer network
    2) they have the best economies of scale so you will get super competitive prices. The only ones that can beat them are direct order companies like Canyon or bikesdirect.com, but then you don't get the convenience of the dealer network.
    3) they do lots of R&D on bike technology, because they can afford to, so they do make really good bikes at every price point.

Bikes do cost a lot....some of the cost is definitely the amount of human hands required, but there are also lots of costs through the distribution system and the larger ecosystem that makes all the components. I suppose for some higher end stuff the economies of scale are not really there-- still made in pretty small batches. I'm still amazed, though, that they can cost so much these days and not even have a motor. There's a lot of fine forging, laying up of carbon, machine work, etc., so there's definitely a great deal of fine craftsmanship involved. But still....wow.

13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Very true!

Markrkrk

14. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Lol is it that much more unrealistic than paying 3k for a gibson guitar that doesn’t give you transportation?

Driver3, Jakedog and Colo Springs E like this.
  15. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

Sounds way better than my Brother who has three bikes around ~$6500 and two other ~$3000.

Now he is looking at an electric bike..

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  16. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

I still ride my Gary Fisher Klunker most of the time, when my back and nerve damaged leg can handle Has a mixture of XT and XTR on it...all outdated I'm sure.

8568935f0fae1bbaf4c7bb690351bac5.jpg

17. chris m.

That Gary Fisher is outdated enough, and high enough quality at the time of its creation, that it is a bonafide collectible and from this point on will only go up in value, probably. Just like a new Toyota Camry will blow the doors off an ancient Rolls Royce, but the ancient Rolls Royce is worth many times the Camry....

On this one you can see the evolution from original beach cruisers descending "Repack" on Mt. Tamalpais to a more modern mtb frame design with more modern components. The frame is most interesting-- no oversize tubing, so like a beach cruiser they stiffen it up with an extra top tube. The curved upper top tube blending into the seatstays also is total beach cruiser. Finally, the handlebar grip angles are more like a beach cruiser than a modern flat bar. Looks like there are early gen thumb shifters on there-- indexed or friction? Probably friction. Very cool bike complete with classic leather Brooks saddle.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah....I'm wearing my bike helmet to protect against all the water bottles guys are gonna throw at me, but I don't get it either. I used to ride a BUNCH, not so much in recent years, but I have a Magna (or Magma) "trail"-style bike that I bought 15-20 years ago at Target for around $90, and it serves me well. Before that, I had a Montgomery Ward ten-speed from the seventies that was a "Bargain Room" (probably a return) Special for $50-60.
    And, for what it's worth.....I'd never buy a $2000 Custom Shop Telecaster, either. ;)

19. 100LL

25 lb bike and a 5 lb lock.

or a 15 lb bike and a 15 lb lock.

No sense in an expensive bike if it's for transportation. Exercise and organized rides are another story.

tubegeek, Mike Eskimo and nojazzhere like this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

And in Houston heat and humidity?.......I'll take my air-conditioned car, thanks. ;)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.