1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A lesson from Jaco Pastorius

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by superjam144, Jan 24, 2021.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm watching the doc, i did not know Jaco played with Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson! Good gosh, this man got around!

Ian even gave him a solo! all american alien boy!

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I think he got it from metheny

3. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I never met Jaco but I did know Pat Metheny before he was famous. I was in Boston in the mid 70's and managed to get lessons with Pat for several months. One day he said "you should come down to the Zircon, I'm doing a trio gig there with Bob Moses and a guy from Miami. His name is Jaco Pastorious and he's got as much chops on the bass as anyone does on any instrument."

At the time, I though he was exaggerating a bit to make a point. As it turned out it wasn't an exaggeration. I've been a Jaco fan ever since.

Here's a recording from one of those gigs. I realized later that the Zircon gig was a rehearsal for Pat's first album, Bright Size Life with that group. It's kind of interesting to hear what they sounded like in the early days, when they were just coming on to the music scene.

thunderbyrd, lupowitz and klasaine like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.