A Kindness

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Yesterday there was a knock on our front door, we were not expecting anyone. It was an unfamiliar casually dressed man, in his 30s or 40s, who did not appear to be a delivery person, but many delivery drivers now don’t wear uniforms. We live behind a gate and so rarely does anyone appear that is not friends or family, or a delivery.

I opened the door, went outside and closed it behind me - to prevent the dog from running out.

The man named my wife and asked if she lived there. I did not see a delivery vehicle in our driveway, but a newish imported sedan. I thought perhaps he could be a process server or - my antenna went up - involved with a permanent restraining order my wife had gotten against a man who threatened violence against her. At one time we had law enforcement - uniformed and undercover - watching our house due to this threat. He did not, however, physically resemble my wife’s threat.

I said she lived here and he reached out and handed me my wife’s passport wallet. It contained her passport, drivers license, credit cards, vax card, cash, and other important stuff.

He told me he had found the wallet on the floor of a store and thought it important to return it in person. He had come eight miles across town. He was sincere, well spoken and well mannered.

I thanked him for his gracious kindness, we chatted for a minute, and shook hands. He wanted nothing more than to drop off the wallet.

My wife had no idea her wallet was missing. His act of kindness saved her an afternoon of backtracking and worry, and the difficulties of getting replacement cards and a passport - especially as we are going overseas in December.

Yesterday was another proof of the simple good in people.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
It doesn’t involve a passport, but here’s a great and uplifting Regina Spektor song about a similar incident:

I don’t think Blockbuster is a viable way to return people’s possessions anymore, your Good Samaritan’s approach was a kind-hearted and sensible one.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yesterday there was a knock on our front door, we were not expecting anyone. It was an unfamiliar casually dressed man, in his 30s or 40s, who did not appear to be a delivery person, but many delivery drivers now don’t wear uniforms. We live behind a gate and so rarely does anyone appear that is not friends or family, or a delivery.

I opened the door, went outside and closed it behind me - to prevent the dog from running out.

The man named my wife and asked if she lived there. I did not see a delivery vehicle in our driveway, but a newish imported sedan. I thought perhaps he could be a process server or - my antenna went up - involved with a permanent restraining order my wife had gotten against a man who threatened violence against her. At one time we had law enforcement - uniformed and undercover - watching our house due to this threat. He did not, however, physically resemble my wife’s threat.

I said she lived here and he reached out and handed me my wife’s passport wallet. It contained her passport, drivers license, credit cards, vax card, cash, and other important stuff.

He told me he had found the wallet on the floor of a store and thought it important to return it in person. He had come eight miles across town. He was sincere, well spoken and well mannered.

I thanked him for his gracious kindness, we chatted for a minute, and shook hands. He wanted nothing more than to drop off the wallet.

My wife had no idea her wallet was missing. His act of kindness saved her an afternoon of backtracking and worry, and the difficulties of getting replacement cards and a passport - especially as we are going overseas in December.

Yesterday was another proof of the simple good in people.
Great story......
....but I hope you got the car's license number, just in case you get burgled next week. :):):)

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Several years ago Jackie “lost” her purse at Home Depot. Searching through the store, calling her phone revealed nothing. The cops are called and the officer began taking information for his report

My phone rings and I almost blow off answering it but Jackie says to answer. It’s the owner of a gas station near our house.

This guy found her purse in a buggy that was in the row of buggies returned to the returned cart area.

He had to get back East and he recognized the address area (Cotton Valley) so he dropped it off at Ziggys’s. The owner called my number to let us know the purse was there and everything appeared to be there. And it was. Cask, cards, ID, etc

I called the guy the next day and offered him a reward for his kindness. He declined.

There still are some honest folks in the world

BlastingOneHundo

TDPRI Member
I used to work at a gas station/c-store. I found quiet a few lost valuables over the years.

I remember one wallet, a woman’s, with cash, cards, ID, etc. There was no contact information but her bank card was in there. I called the bank and asked them to call her and let her know we had her wallet. They were accommodating and the wallet was returned no problem.

This was close to 15 years ago. I don’t know if you’d be able to do that now. I can see a business refusing to act as a messenger service on behalf of a stranger on the phone.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
When I was in my early twenties I found a wallet by the dumpster as I was taking out the trash. It had the address of an apartment in the complex I lived in. So I walked all the way over to his apartment and knocked on the door. A women answered the door and I explained that I had found someone's wallet at this address. I saw a guy eating a bowl of cereal on the couch that looked like him. The lady thanked me and turned to the guy and said, "honey this man found your wallet by the dumpster and brought it back to you". The slob yelled at her with a full mouth of cereal "shut the damn door". The poor women nervously looked at me and thanked me again. I then left thinking I should have just thrown it in the dumpster. :mad:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
When I was 19 or 20 I lost my wallet with my driver's license, green card, college ID, socisl security card etc. A good Samaritan dropped it off in the mailbox with everything but the cash that was in it when I lost it. It wasn't much as I was a starving college student then. And I thought it was the least they deserved for going to the trouble of returning the wallet.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
And I thought it was the least they deserved for going to the trouble of returning the wallet.
Someone else took the cash, don't you think?

Once I found a bag of money in the carpark of a laundromat.
Pretty damn heavy.
I opened it up, and it was all coins, from the machines, I guess.
No doubt the manager put down the bag, got in his car, and drove off without it.
I thought about it, and took it inside to the duty assistant.
I just couldn't picture going into a bank with bag full of gold and silver coins.
I mean, I looked like a hippy, I didn't look like I should have a bag full of coins :lol:

:::

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
I once found broken bags of trash on some rural land I owned. In it was a utility bill and some junk mail. I decided to return part of trash to the address on the mail. I knocked on the door and a woman answered. She said the she had given her teenage kid some money to take the trash to the county transfer station, but he had apparently used the money for something else.

I told her that I would appreciate the rest of the trash removed from my land, and it was.