A home audio subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tomm Williams, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:16 PM.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

We don’t really have an appropriate place for this question so here I am.....

My home sound system consists of a pair of DCM Time Windows powered by an Adcom 545 II, and a Sony CD player. I’m considering getting a single DCM sub to add to everything but wondering if anyone with real world DCM knowledge can chime in ?
    They make numerous different subs so what’s the consensus?

2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I'll be very curious of the responses you get from those with "real world DCM knowledgel"

Why?....because I wonder how often an additional 'subfoofer' is really necessary in many cases.
    Of course, I'm admitting my ignorance and the genre one listens to could be a reason for that necessity.

I'm not questioning your desire at all but do you really feel the bass frequencies are that deficient even though I don't know of your listening environment, size of room, speaker placement or what EQ'ing you may have done?
    If you want the sub for sonic flexibility or just to feel the system would seem more complete for whatever reasons?......that's cool too. :)

Sorry I'm no real help but I'm genuinely interested in responses (in this context) and you got a bump.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:30 PM
  3. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

What model? DCM26,16? Are they tower speakers or bookshelf? I'm not familiar with DCM, just checked out their site. Nice stuff. Usually you would add a sub to small bookshelf or satellite speakers. The ones I looked at have 6.5" speakers using a transmission line enclosure to enhance the bass. If you're stereo is in a fairly big room it might be beneficial. The sub woofer would handle the very low frequencies from 100hz or so down depending on where the crossover is set at in the sub. This will "relieve" the woofer in your speaker from having to reproduce them and thus enhance it's sound in the mid bass and lower midrange frequencies. So they say anyway.:)

4. Tomm Williams

I have the Time Windows

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I have no real world experience with DCM subwoofers.

I have a lifetime of experience with subwoofers in general. I have designed and built tons of them, including the one that I used in my own home theater system. And I've got about half a dozen more that I've accumulated over the years.

If you can get more specific with your question, I may be able to help.

6. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I personally would consider a Hsu or SVS subwoofer, which maximize performance versus price, and will work with any speaker system. Just my .02 :)

7. Tomm Williams

I’ve had Time Windows over the years and love them. The specs say they respond down to 30hz as is so not sure a sub will matter ? Just wondering if removing the low frequency material from them (via Sub) would lower the distortion levels as the amp should be cruising along.
    Most of the DCM subs I’ve seen have an adjustable cross point and output gain.

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never seen/heard your speakers but for floorstanding loudspeakers with decent size drivers I never thought my Sub did much for music.

I had a 12" Velodyne Sub FWIW.

It definitely helped movies/home theater. If you're doing that it's a no brainer but that's really for action movies with their synthetic explosions and Hans Zimmer "BWAAM" sound effects.

We basically stopped caring about HT at some point (TV watching has dwindled to nothing) and the Sub annoyed the neighbors (condo) so I sold it a year or two ago.

9. TheGoodTexan

Again, I don't have any experience with the DCM Time Windows, but they appear to have two 6 1/2" woofers, and two dome tweeters in each cabinet, off axis from one another.

I would need to see a RTA curve from those speakers to comment definitively, but depending on how loud you're using them, I would say that your thought process is on track. It wouldn't take much of a woofer to blend well with those, but you'd probably benefit from adding a high-pass filter to them at around 80Hz and then turning up the woofer to find the sweet spot for a seamless blend between the two (which is the goal when primary purpose is music listening). You don't want to be able to locate the woofer while listening, but you want it to do more than the original speakers could do by themselves. And yes, if you do this, and back off the bass EQ on the main speakers, this should (in theory) allow them to play louder with less distortion. It will allow for slightly more headroom.

I would experiment with a good, but low cost subwoofer. Something like this would probably sound fantastic:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

(I've got one, and its just about the most bang for the buck available.)

studio likes this.
  10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Made my own Subwoofer cabinet to fit in my space under a mixing desk.
    Standalone cross over, dbx and separate amp.

Paul has some good commentary too:

11. dmvksv

dmvksv TDPRI Member

I don't know much about DCM subs but with the quality of their speakers, I would think they'd be great, but matching a sub to your fronts isn't as vital as the center of surrounds. Anything that pumps out adequate low frequencies will be fine. Interesting frogs fact, DAN was founded in Ann Arbor Michigan, and rumor has it that the initials DCM actually stood for " Drug Capital of Michigan".

12. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

In my experience, for symphonic music and home theater, you really want extension down to 20 Hz ideally. For modern music, 40 Hz is plenty. It takes a lot of power to move a 10 or 12 inch driver quickly enough to be responsive for either scenario (and that's what you need IMO to get that lower frequency extension). The key musically is in getting the right attack and decay curves to match the source material. When you get it right, it's magical in creating a very large aureal space for everyone listening.

Also, no offense but Daytons tend to have a relatively high noise floor. They can rock your world for home theater applications where noise floor doesn't matter, but for symphonic music, well, you get the idea.

studio likes this.
  13. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I have a certain respect for what a sub-woofer can do in a home system. Back in the 70's when I was in the audio field, Jan Rybar (the Canadian distributor for Visonik) gave me, as a Christmas gift, a set of Visonik David 702 satellites and the matching Visonik Goliath 12" sunwoofer (Neat piece enclosed in machined aluminum enclosure). It worked well, mainly because the sub was designed with a properly engineered crossover network that operated the woofer at a low level that seamlessly transitioned to the satellites. My criticism of many of the other homes sub systems I've seen is that they operate at far too high a volume level, producing that annoying whomp-whomp sound that is characteristic of car audio systems. A true subwoofer should disappear into the sound stage, rather than appearing to be a distinct sound source when you listen.

I agree with Rockhead....A system with DCM Time Windows could sound okay if it's crossed over low - at about 80 - 100hz.

14. TheGoodTexan

No offense taken. The OP didn't say anything about symphonic music, and it's not a home theater setup. And I suggested a subwoofer that was in the same basic price range as the speakers that he has.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.