1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Hankerin' For Garbage Gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by paulblackford, Dec 15, 2020.

1. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Mark Lettieri had me wanting one of those Danelectro Baritones. Thankfully I have yet to encounter one.

BigBillow, johnny k and telemnemonics like this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever i buy might be considered junk. I don't have any 59 gold top, or vintage guitars. When i needed a delay pedal, i bought the cheapest one. I mean what is the difference between a cheap delay and an expensive one ? i just want the pedal to do 2 repetitions and fading, why would i buy an expensive delay ? Maybe if i played an expensive one, i would think it is better.

The thing is i don't even have the ear to notice that sort of things. Some people can, but i can't. If there is some sound coming out from the amp, i will put the treble on 10, a little bit of bass, i don't even know what mediums are for.;)

Masmus and paulblackford like this.
  3. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

Oh I would absolutely love a cheaper firebird that I could do terrible, wonderful things to.

4. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

I buy "cheap", because "f- it". I play for fun, not to "impress".

Still, we're always trying to gauge what is and what isn't "garbage", which is why we post newly acquired gear. Plus compliments give us joy.

We're only human after all.

5. johnny k

I often posted newly acquired cheap gear. I don't really need the compliments, but i like you guys being aghast at what i can buy.

P Thought and paulblackford like this.
  6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

My Fender Deluxe 112 Plus. Some bandmates regarded it as just another cheap solidstate amp.

IMHO it sounds good and it is a nice backup amp. I used it for open air gigs when we were expecting rain and I didn't wanted to bring my DRRI.

I has got the nice Fender cleans and it is made in the USA

paulblackford likes this.
  7. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

image1.jpeg Gibson Sonex. I love these.

8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Hmmm... I don't seem to remember liking anything of yours ;)

9. johnny k

For some reason, not everyone like my tastes. But i am pretty much on the opposite side on good tastes, so it might means you have got good tastes !

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've had similar experiences with my stock Epiphone LP Jr.

Honest Charley likes this.
  11. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I have a Fender Princeton Chorus, and I think it's an underrated solid state amp. I'm having to sell it, due to the times, but I'll miss it, for sure. Great Fender cleans, and it sounds great with an Emerson Paramount in front of it. It's awesome for 'bedroom' playing.

12. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I've got one in Pink (!). It's shocking how good the necks are, and they stay that way. The bridge kinda blows, and it too stays that way. Oh well.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

At least in part, I've always thought that, in order to forge a unique sound, I needed to check out gear that was obscure and/or the runt of the litter. I believe that's one of the secrets of not sounding like everyone else. My heroes tend to be contrarians.

14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I used to have next one up, the Ultimate Chorus. Same story, beautiful cleans, wretched unlistenable "overdrive."

15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

If you stick a simple “volume box” (an audio pot wired to two jacks in a plastic project box) in the effects loop of either of the amps mentioned by the above posters, it allows the preamp to be set for good tone without having the volume be ear-splitting. @FortyEight, please take note.

Don’t give up on these Fender solid state amps without trying this first. You might be pleasantly surprised. They’re excellent in-the-car backup amps that are surprisingly capable, especially with a pedalboard up front.

16. johnny k

this is plain awesome.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We now have so much info at our fingertips and even on the smartphone in our pockets that we can easily know most anything about most everything.
    So it's endlessly amazing how confused so many musicians, or specifically electric guitar players are about a couple of things.

1) Sound, tone, timbre or whatever we call it; is only one facet of a multi faceted thing known as music. And depending on the needs of the music, nasty or even ugly tone may be called for, while great music needn't include particularly great tone.

2) Gear is tools and we need serviceable tools, while specific tools tend to have specific sounds they are better suited for. But the final product is not the tools, it's the player and the rest of the players making the music.

How so many are still confused about those two basic facts of playing music is kind of mind blowing.

I think the marketing is partly to blame, but we as players are to blame as well, in terms of keeping those myths alive and not replacing them with clearer facts about the sources of "our sound".

Maybe none of that matters though?
    The cheap gear sells and the expensive gear sells.
    Most bands seem to play mid priced gear while a very few play the cheapest and a bigger few play the most expensive.

I find it harder to get the specific sounds and playability I want with the cheapest gear, while now and then something really cheap works really well.
    Part of that is i think that we each have some range of musical identity, or fall into musical roles.
    Some roles or identities fit common gear well, so the gear options are broader.
    Other roles, sounds, styles, or players seem to benefit more from very specific gear.
    It may not be that the specific gear costs more to make, it may be as much that the specific gear is less common, or is not the usual popular products the big brands all produce.

Small necks with small frets is what the racks are loaded with at GC.
    I have trouble with necks that have a narrow shoulder, and the way I phrase with bends is harder to pull off on small frets, worse still on small uneven frets.

While cheap guitars vary, and any run will have a few jems, if the jems have thin necks and low frets, I still can't use them.

Throwing money at gear won't make us sound great.
    Modding as well, is time spent not playing and working at the craft of music.
    Once we have serviceable gear that suits us we need to focus on using it to get to great sounding playing.

But on the internet it can easily appear that great sound comes from choosing gear that sounds great.

That's OK though because it makes for lots of used gear bargains as tone shoppers keep buying and trying but not hearing the work that other layers put in to get those sounds out of the same basic gear.

39martind18, paulblackford and Ronzo like this.
  18. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Jakedog and paulblackford like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think WRT the bridge, it's a masonite semi hollow and it is what it is.
    Mine is the really old version with the vintage style single wood saddle, really not unlike old archtop guitars.
    Recent production gets six saddle bridges which I'm not sure is an improvement?
    Still a sort of plinky attack combined with a thin tone, but useful if that sound suits a part.

For me at this time it's not really a guitar i need, so I'm not sure I'm keeping it.
    But they are a cool specialty food group in the huge variety of electric guitars.

The neck really is surprisingly good on this one, but as I recall circa Y2K they varied quite a bit and some were not that good.

20. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Directly to the OP, absolutely, unashamedly, and without reservation. Do what works for you.

I buy cheap stuff, and I buy nice stuff that's fortunately sometimes cheap. My "best" guitar neck is probably a mid-80's MIJ Fender 57 RI, at least in terms of internet board cred, but who can keep up? I remember being in a local music store in my teens and seeing literal barrels full of old Strat necks going for $30 a pop because everybody was dropping Floyd necks onto their strats. At the time, they were garbage, but now? My current favorite guitar is a Hamer Echotone, Korean-made 335 copy. Came to me as almost literal garbage, neck was cracked just below the nut and the previous owner decided to solve the resulting high action with a belt sander to the frets. Repaired the neck, dressed the frets down to almost nothing, cleaned it up a bit, and dropped a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniv's in it. It's great. For home use I play it through my little Champ 600, or my Mexican-made Princeton Chorus, or possibly my AVT20 combo, all of which have had hate from netizens over the years.

Peavey gets a lot of crap on a lot of boards, but I have a 130w Heritage VTX that's a terrific player's pedal platform. I have a couple other Peavey parts here and there in different instruments, and some stuff in the project pile, but never had a problem with any of it. Right now I have the 8" cab from a Piranha sitting on my desk, powered by one of a couple nano-size Hotone heads through a BBE sonic maximizer. Good rig for low volume metal sounds--the bass is present and it's not too muddy with the BBE engaged. Is it a Diezel through a 4x12 Mesa cab? No, but one of those wouldn't fit on my desk anyway. It does the job I need it to do.

Frankly, a lot of my gear fits somebody's definition of garbage. If it makes noises you like, by definition, it's not garbage. If it doesn't make noises you like, maybe somebody else will, which means it's not garbage. Ultimately, if it can be repaired, and somebody can use it, it's not garbage. It's only garbage if you quit on it and decide nobody else should use it either. My first pedal was a DOD Supra Distortion 55-B. I still have it. It still sounds tinny, buzzy, all of the 80's cliches about thin metal tone. Is it garbage? Not if that's the sound you want for whatever you're doing--I have an Ashdown Fallen Angel combo that's muddy, dark, sludgy, etc. straight through. Unless I play through that old DOD--then it cops decent 80's rhythm tones all day long. Two pieces of "garbage", but they work together.

As many others have said, if it looks good to you, sounds good to you, is inspirational for you, or just grabs your attention for a minute, give it a ride, and if it doesn't work for you, pass it along. Somebody out there is waiting for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.