1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A guitar of my own design - my 3rd build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JUSS10, Aug 18, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Indeed it did!

What did you use to route out the little ring-shaped rabbets in the fingerboard? Very cool design.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

yeah binding would be cool indeed. May have to give that a try on a future build.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

I design my guitars in 3D cad software and do the cutting on a small CNC machine. I’m able to cut the inlays, shape the radius and slot for frets all on the machine with a few different tool changes. In the inlays are just a 1.5mm big cutting a circle. Used the same bit to cut the walnut circles out from a a piece of scrap wood. Glue them in with CA before I shape the fretboard.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 and tubegeek like this.
  4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

CNC, man, that is a powerful set of tools. I love how you see the prominent grain pattern continuously in the "eyes" of the rings, that's really nice. Really enjoying this build thread, it's all so cool.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

First off, thanks for the kind words. It’s been. Really fun process and a ton of learning along the way.

yes CNC is super powerful. And honestly it’s not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Lots of great machines can be had in the $1500 range. Heck my first guitar was built on a CNC I made for under $500. I think like any tool, it’s the understanding of how to use it properly. Anyone can buy one of these machines but it takes skill to design the models, create the tool paths and run the programs. I would argue it’s just as labor and skill intensive as hand shaping a guitar with a band saw and router. Just two different skills to hopefully get the same end result. I’m a designer and engineer by trade so it’s natural for me to use those skills in my building. That said, in the end it still comes down to hand sanding, filing and finishing.

6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I've given CAD drawing a try a few times and I've had a lot of trouble getting anywhere with it. And a CNC machine is certainly going to be a GIGO situation.

Not sure if my commitment to attention to detail, and patience, are up to the task. Not yet anyway.

But you and others have shown some really inspiring demos of what it is good for. The ability to keep much of a design while making incremental tweaks in it, that's pretty compelling, for example.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

yup, the ability to tweak is great. Down fall is if you aren’t good at labeling your files all of a sudden you have 10 files for a guitar neck and you can’t remember which is the right one...

I also wanted repeatability. If I find something I like, I want to be able to perfectly duplicate it. That’s a lot harder to do with hand shaping. To some that’s a bonus, no two necks for instance are exactly the same but in my case I want to clamp down a piece of wood and know it’ll come out the same as it did last time.

8. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Just pulled off the CNC. Quick hit it with 180 and some naphtha. Think I like it!

A36E3F2C-40E3-43F8-AB0E-BD5FB04BFA54.jpeg

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a fine looking neck!

JUSS10 and crazydave911 like this.
  10. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Continued development on this neck. Drilled the holes for the side markers and pressed in the frets. Little mad about the 12th fret side marker holes. Hickory has some deep grain and the bit wandered a tad so they aren’t perfectly in line. Going to have figure out a better way to do those holes long term. Maybe a really solid clamping jig in the drill press and really choke up on the 2mm bit so it doesn’t flex and wander. Oh well, this guitar is for me so I can deal.

hope to cut the truss rod slot in the neck tomorrow and glue up the board after nipping the fret ends.

CB90C4FF-3986-4F29-9C15-40456B331334.jpeg BB503772-6300-45D5-8B5B-1FEBC9C67137.jpeg

Jim_in_PA, crazydave911 and maple like this.
  11. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Getting closer on guitar number two. Talked to Ryan at bootstrap and it sounds like my pickups will be shipping this week. Got the truss rod slot cut, fretboard is glued on, and neck cleaned up. Certain things went better with neck, other things not so much. But mostly just little things that I know aren’t perfect and most people wouldn’t notice. Overall I’m pretty happy with it.

hope to level and crown the frets this week. Then going to do odies oil again like I did with the last neck but going to try their new thinner oil in a few coats then finish with their thicker traditional oil.

37E004E8-7ED3-45B2-902F-63A4BD55E5ED.jpeg F1185139-93D0-4DF0-812A-1ECA374297AB.jpeg F63B6427-8171-43F5-B172-1587CB621BC4.jpeg C0AC705F-89A3-40C3-84A0-ABEC3F3EFC10.jpeg 51CCFC23-840C-4CD2-81FC-7CF007403097.jpeg 5936235E-895A-4974-9994-C27FC48AF1E0.jpeg 81557536-682B-4E5F-B730-256ECC5E7A2A.jpeg

slypig, CraigB, crazydave911 and 3 others like this.
  12. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Terrific design and really impressive work! The unfinished one looks extra cool to me---if you haven't painted it yet, I wonder if a natural finish might be the way to go.

crazydave911 and JUSS10 like this.
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That is looking hotter than a hot day in hotpants. I love it all. The bridge looks fantastic.

14. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Not sure what one you mean as unfinished as the most unfinished one is the one I just posted and thats painted already. The natural one is pretty close to done so I guess thats unfinished as well though I have sat down and played a few notes to make sure it all works. Waiting on a setup for that one and new pickups to arrive as well. that said, yeah, I think I'll leave it natural for now though up close its not super pretty as there is some white filler and other stuff that was intended to be hidden with paint.

SecretSquirrel and crazydave911 like this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

you go go, go. go.

16. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Not too much to report the last few days. Neck is on the jig. Leveled and crowned. I actually really enjoy the process of fret work. Just need to polish. Would love to get others input on their preferred polishing methods. I’ve seen the fret erasers and those seem intriguing to me. Was told I can just wrap sand paper around a card or something with a little give and keep working my way up.

my pickups from bootstrap also shipped so that’s really exciting!

15915A60-D87C-432C-8EB8-BCFA113A81BD.jpeg FE087EF0-475A-42A5-BFB8-8A6D9196277D.jpeg

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I REALLY like the blue guitar :)

18. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

Thanks! I agree! its fast become my favorite of the two. number 3 will be a humbucker solid body version in a charcoal/black. body blank just got glued up yesterday. hope to get to cutting that one soon. unfortunately (for me, not them) bootstrap is now backed up 2-3 weeks on pickups so my humbuckers will be a while for guitar #3. hoping this blue one will be together by the end of next week.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

My method is very simple but it works very well. First I try to do as little leveling as possible, if the fretboard is flat when the frets go it then I don't have to take much off to level. I level to 400 grit, then crown with a 300 grit diamond file. I then put wet and dry sand paper (dry) in the next larger fret crowning file slot (ie if I'm doing medium frets I put it in the jumbo slot) and sand length wise. I start at 400 or 600 and go up to 1500 or so. Then I clean everything, including the board with 0000 steel wool. Finally I'll go back over the frets with micro mesh until I'm satisfied.

Since I glue frets I don't want any heat on them so dremels are forbidden.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. JUSS10

JUSS10 Tele-Meister

great point on heat. Didn’t think about that as I too have started to glue my frets.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.