A great Father's Day

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Torz Johnson, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My kids had to work today, so yesterday we did an early Father's day. Great BBQ, a great schlocky monster movie, and a gift certificate to the music store. This is the payoff for all of those years of challenges, triumphs and heartbreaks... and more than one run to the emergency room. :)

So today I'm just kicking back and playing the old Rickenbacker 660/6. Today it's plugged into the Orange Rocker 15 which is not exactly what you'd expect, but the clean sound on this thing is surprisingly good.

I always loved the sound of this guitar, but I learned a neat trick watching an old Tom Petty video. Mike Campbell was playing his old Rick 12 string and he had all of his knobs turned about halfway off, with the switch in the middle position.

Well, I already knew that the middle position and the 5th knob is where the real magic happens. I usually back off the bridge pickup a little, but never tried backing them both off. Now I was on to something... I raised them both up a little more, rolled the 5th knob about a quarter off, and there it was - my new favorite tone, right there.

Obligatory pic:

[​IMG]

2. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Enjoy the day!:)

3. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Awesome pic. My wife and daughter are watching the HBO thing--Big Little Lies. I'm alone in the basement with a glass of Lagavulin 16, doodling around on my acoustic. Nice father''s day.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

We had a nice one: daughter made me an omelette, wife made me cinnamon rolls, all 3 kids made me cards, and we went out and watched MIB International (not a great movie but fun to watch and pick apart afterwards). :)

Much better than last year, when basically nothing happened. :(

That's because this year I said "you guys were so lame last year; you better up your game or you're all sleeping on the deck." :lol:

Mr Scallywag likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

That's beautiful. Gorgeous!

6. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I got a new weed wacker. o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.