1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A good wah at a reasonable price.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jack Clayton, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Holic

I've gone the Dunlop crybaby route, and I was NOT a fan. The buffer seems to be very poorly made, and the pedal sucked all the tone out of my signal, even if it's the only pedal in my chain. I bought it locally for forty dollars and almost immediately resold it for the same price.

I know JHS does a mod for the crybaby that apparently solves this problem, but it's not cheap. I've seen other wahs for sale locally by companies like vox. I also know there is more than one model of crybaby, and maybe there are some better ones I should be looking for.

Can anybody recommend a readily available wah that won't break the bank (I'd like to spend less than $100) or wreck my tone?

2. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I like the Vox 847a. I don’t know how it compares to the crybaby, though. Used prices are very good.

nojazzhere and Jack Clayton like this.
  3. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Holic

I've considered that one. I'm not as concerned about it's performance as a wah as I am that it won't suck my signal right out the window. Does your vox generally sound pretty good turned off?

4. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

Try to find a used Morley Bad Horsie (1st Gen) on Reverb. It has an optical switch so no scratchy pot to deal with. It has a bit more of a modern sweep to it.

Just, FYI, I was in your camp with Dunlops until I heard their Classic Cry Baby Wah with the Fasel inductor. Used, you can get them for $80 and they sound awesome.

Jack Clayton and JayFreddy like this.
  5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Ibanez Screaming Demon. Very flexible wah with lots of options and a robust build.

I found a used one for $25.

I also like like the Fasel Crybabys.

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Just an anecdote about the Cry Baby wah. A friend gave me a really old one, and it sucked tone and volume badly so I put away for a while.

I finally took a look inside and there was some deteriorated insulation in there. I replaced it with a peice of a foam egg carton cut to fit, and it suddenly worked much better.

Apparently the circuit board was shorting out on the enclosure.

7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Weeping Demon Jr. you can get at a great price, bought a used Morley Mark Tremontti Wah and it is now my favorite ever. Great sweep on that one!

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Behringer Hellbaby (waits for laughter and shaming to subside) All wahs suck tone but I find the build in boost can be used to (somewhat) offset this.. $50 new I paid 10 used. In your case I would get a new one for some place w/ a return privilege. BTW it is mostly plastic (heavy) but plastic NTL

9. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Mmm. Start by looking for true bypass. I tried a bunch. They're all a little different sounding on each rig, so I wouldn't obsess on tone until you've settled in. A Bud Wah works for me, a modded Vox was second.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Went through lots of wahs before deciding the Vox V847 (USA) was my favorite.

Haven't used wah since pedal boards grew bigger than the amps they run into though.

11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They are easy to mod for true bypass relieving the tone suck if you can solder or know someone that can.

12. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I think so. I’ve never noticed a huge tone suck.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

The mini Dunlop crybaby wahs sound ok. The Vox wah mentioned above is also a favorite. I use an Xotic Wah, which is not cheap, so may not fit your criteria, but dang it is versatile as all get out.

If you have a player’s wah sound in mind, you might look to see if they have a signature wah and what the price might be there.

14. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The Boss auto-way used with an expression pedal doesn't suck tone and sounds surprisingly good. Some (at least the VOX wah) doesn't seem to suck the tone out when a buffered pedal is used in front of it. Such as a Boss TU-3 tuner.

15. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

No wah. No tone suck. Costs zero $.

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

16. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Same here, been playing one for the last 10 years.

17. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

yep

Just a couple of bucks for another footswitch
    =Full bypass, no tone suck

CigBurn likes this.
  18. CigBurn

CigBurn TDPRI Member

Did the true bypass+led mod on my Crybaby and its fine. Couple bucks at most really and minimal soldering skills required.

RyCo1983 and Doghouse_Riley like this.
  19. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Favorite one I've ever owned is the BBE Wah. Vintage-correct circuit, sounded great to my ear; absolutely better than the Crybaby wahs that GC had at the time I went shopping. And it has an LED to show when it's on. Never underestimate the value of that.

20. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Good luck. Maybe one of those suggestions will work for you. Personally, I would never, ever buy a wah without trying it with my guitar and comparable rig. I find that the wah sound is so guitar-dependent that it's best by far to audition them in a setup like the one in which it will be used. I have a BYOC wah that has been modded to have 4 adjustment knobs, and a level control, on the outside of the unit. I can't imagine using a non-adjustable wah and actually having it somehow just match up great.

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.