1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A good, simple, bedroom setup with headphones

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Headless Axeman, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

I have a Helix LT and if I was going for simple and had a thousand USD I’d go:

$399 Strymon Iridium Amp/Cab Sim
    Delay
    $299 Strymon Flint Tremolo/Reverb
    $79 MXR Microamp Boost
    $149 Audio Technica ATH-M50X Headphones

OR if you don’t mind a bit of digital/tech setup

$599 Line HX Stomp
    $149 Audio Technica ATH-M50X
    Then add pedals as you wish and expand.

2. WYfish

WYfish Tele-Meister

vox mini3 g2. Real happy with mine and SUPER simple to use. good luck with your quest

3. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

Here’s the thing, I play a lot on a park bench at lunch but a pocket pod is really good sounding once you get the hang of it. Don’t use the the presets just turn them off and dial something in ... not hard but the knobs are weird to fiddle with

4. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I practice through headphones most of the time. My rig is a Blackstar Fly 3 and a small pedalboard consisting of: tuner, distortion, reverb, and a looper.

5. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Yup, I like the Vox Amplug a lot also. And can recommend it for easy to get up and running quickly with good sounds. I have the Classic Rock version which is kind of middle of the road and covers a lot of bases. Didn't know they had a Blues version, but sounds interesting. At only 38 bucks, I might pick one up for a little variety.
    Vox Amplug.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    68Telebass likes this.
  6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Yes! I believe “Classic Rock” is more “Marshall” like while the “Blues” tends toward tweed Blues Junior type territory.
    All good fun- and again- that 2watt “cab” is way cool with them!

Maguchi likes this.
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Laney L5 Studio. 5 watts of pure tube goodness. Built in load, so it can be played with only headphones. Has a USB out to plug it into your DAW. Speaker sim built-in. XLR out. It has a beautiful and creamy sound. I'm enamoured with mine. I may be selling my Helix LT because I get the sounds I want out of the amp with a couple of pedals for flavor.

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I’ve had the original THR10 for quite some time now. Its sound quality and simplicity founded the new amp category “desktop amp”.

Yesterday the Positive Grid Spark I ordered arrived. It’s a blast! While the sound quality is not as good as the Yamaha, the convenience and sonic flexibility make up for it. Backing tracks with chord charts? (Okay, it only display cowboy chords, but still... no guessing the chord changes)

Don’t like lots of knobs? Use your phone or tablet to download a preset someone has already created for you from PG’s ToneCloud. If you like it, save it. If not, try another.

So, I guess I’m telling the OP to either “downgrade” to an original THR or go in a different direction and get a Spark. Either one makes a lot more sense than a tube amp for practicing with headphones. (Yes, I have a couple of tube amps I can use with headphones, so I’m speaking from personal experience)

Headless Axeman likes this.
  9. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

If you don’t want a lot of options I’d go with a small amplifier with a general sound you like. Blackstar has the little Fly, ID:CORE, and even the HT-1R that all sound awesome with headphones. Anything from Boss is good, the CUBE series has some options and knobs, no computer needed, just scribble down your favorites and plug in your headphones! Almost all the smaller solid state amps have headphone plugs. I’m the same way, I get overwhelmed and need simplicity.

10. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    $40.00 and does everything I need, and then some.

JRicoC likes this.
  11. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Iridium... If you need more of a tube sound/feel, add a tube buffer or use a tube headphone amp with it. It sounds amazing.

Mike M likes this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

14. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I just got the New Yamaha THR 10 II and have been very pleased. I go off in the RV quite a bit. I needed something that did everything in one package. I have been very pleased so far. I just use the tone, gain and master knobs and have no trouble finding pleasing tones. The sound from the speaker is amazing. The sound from the headphone jack is about as good as anything I have tried...... it is so good that I find myself using the headphones more and more (wife approves). It also does double duty as a very good bluetooth speaker.
    I fiddled around with the THR Remote app, but I find myself just dialing up the same tones, so I just set that aside and play.

15. Loambiker76

Loambiker76 TDPRI Member

I can't praise the HX Stomp plus decent headphones setup enough. IMO, and experience, IRs are essential to having a headphone experience you'll want to keep coming back to.

Of course, the POD Go and Iridium are good alternatives, but I tried the latter for a few weeks and its great if you already have a pedal board, and get your gain from pedals, but the lack of an fx loop really limits it's application.

Over the last few years I've tried a Vox Mini, 3 Katanas, an Iridium, an Orange 35rt, plus a few more random things, and all were pretty bad through headphones.

16. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Knowing what I know now, if I had a THR, I would add using a tube buffer in the signal chain.

17. JRicoC

JRicoC Tele-Meister

I saw this post a few weeks ago and got one of these. I'd bought a Valeton Asphalt desktop amp earlier in the year, so I was not suspicious of the sound quality. The Rushead Max is the best small-form-factor/travel option I've ever used. You can dial up a wide range of "in-the-spirit-of" tones with the various settings.

I also give it extra points in that it is a standalone device; no USB or Bluetooth connectivity to provide deep-dive adjustments.

For me, this is the Winner ...

bls82261 and Rocky058 like this.
  18. rave

rave Tele-Holic

I was in the same boat and did not want to buy another amp. I picked up little pedal called a cube baby. It has Bluetooth to stream your phone and a headphone jack. It also works as a multi effect pedal IR loader and computer interface. It was 50 on Amazon. Marketed under differ brands like islet muslady curvave. Here is a clip (not me)

19. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

try out a Donner Multi-Pad100 for $50. YT reviews are mixed but I got good tones out of it thru headphones and out of powered speaker via 1/4" out. Comes with AC adapter but also has 9V battery compartment.

61zZK7+KlQL._AC_SY450_.jpg

71QmqXrwiBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.