1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A good, simple, bedroom setup with headphones

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Headless Axeman, Oct 22, 2020.

1. RobSzat

RobSzat TDPRI Member

Came here to say this. I have several amps, but the spark now sits on the corner of my desk, with headphones, ready to go all the time. It has inspired me to play far more frequently, because it’s always next to me and it won’t piss off the wife. If all you do it just dial in 4 tones you like and assign them to the presets, it’s well worth the money. The smart features, Bluetooth and interface are just icing on the cake.

FrogManBearPig likes this.
  2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

an acoustic is pretty loud, I was really just being flip, honestly even playing an unplugged electric guitar will certainly irritate those in the same room who are trying to read or watch tv or whatever in fairly short order. If I was really concerned with a quiet practice/good tone scenario, I think I would start to build a little studio of some kind and get one of those attenuator/cab emulators and run a tube amp into it, or maybe a preamp and some nice in ear headphones, some etymotics maybe?

3. doblander

doblander TDPRI Member

HEADPHONE AMP! HEADPHONE AMP!
    These are especially well suited to your special situation. There is a vast array of these available online for a wide range of prices with even the expensive ones costing well under $100.00. The various tones available through each model can be tweaked to your preference. You will not believe how good these sound through your headphones. Plus you can use them exactly as you would any guitar pedal plug guitar into headphone amp which then plugs into floor amplifier. Helluva good results right there. Bonus. The headfone amp occupies pretty much ZERO space in your house/duplex/apartment/camper/tent.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  4. rotsap

rotsap TDPRI Member

I recommend the Line 6 Firehawk, paired with a good set of, and actually quite inexpensive, "Computer Speakers". Note that those speakers should be the kind that includes a Bass speaker/cab. Really fills out the body for sound quality when the two full-range speakers are paired with the bass speaker. Any headphones from Walmart will sound decent. But for real. I have a THR10ii, and not much of a fan either. I have nice Princeton 65 blackface RI too. Love the tube-driven sound but too loud in the house, I get that. I have a HotRod Deluxe III too, and a couple of other amps too. but I found a perfect setup for home, small room, apartments, etc. in that Computer speakers and Firehawk.

For real. One day I just happened to plug my old computer speakers into the Firehawk and I was truly blown away. Firehawk has great sound using Headphones too, or you can plug those into the Computer speakers. Both sound great. And you can plug your audio into the Firehawk too, or just connect the Firehawk with your Bluetooth to your iPad or Smartphone. Seriously. Using the Firehawk paired with a simple set of computer speakers gives you total control over the level of sound and keeps the fidelity of that sound quality superbly. My two cents/IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    rangercaster likes this.
  5. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

So my question is: what would you suggest for a good and simple (or at least as simple as possible) bedroom/basement setup with headphones? I have this vague notion in my head that I can find an amp with a great clean tone, and then just get a few essential pedals so that I can dial in the 5 or 6 tones that I’ll use 98% of the time. Is that ... realistic? For a minute I was thinking about the tone master deluxe, but I think that is overkill for what I need.

The details:
    - must be headphone friendly
    - playing indie/Americana/classic rock type stuff; a lot of clean tones but with some snarl and grit
    - no need to have capability to play out at this point
    - I expect to be getting into some basic home recording in the future
    - could utilize my MacBook Air, but I’m not currently using it for anything
    - budget could be up to $1,000 or so

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I travel a lot with my job and stay in hotels. I've been very pleased with this setup which I also use late at night at home when everyone is asleep :

1. An Amplug (pick your flavor. I have Classic Rock and the AC30) They run about 50 bucks
    2. Amplug has a headphone output, but I also like using just a quality small bluetooth speaker that has an audio input.

Easy peasy and I can dance around my hotel room windmilling and pretending I'm live at Leeds!!

Amplug Setup.jpg

envirodat and StevesBoogie like this.
  6. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Similar living situation, only roommates instead of family. I have been very happy with my Blackstar HT1 head and a good pair of headphones. If it dies I will probably replace it with HT5R combo.

The simplicity of the knobs is definitely part of what appeals to me.

7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Our daughter's fiance has the Vox thing, he came over with his new Squier Mustang HH this weekend with his setup - I don't know what headphones he brought - and it sounded really nice, sitting in my driveway jamming on it...they are actual headphones, not earbuds, don't think buds would do the sound justice. Works for him, he travels all the time working with Amazon robotics, he got a flight case, he has an amp at home, no kids, but since he's not at home 4 days a week, this gives him a way to kill time in hotel rooms quietly.
    You could also consider a multi-effects unit, can plug headphones in and create your own patches.....I have an old RP350 (iirc) and amazed at how customizable it is....the factory presets are mostly useless to me, but, in the user set of patches, the factory presets are duplicated, so you can mod them or start from scratch and totally build your own......and I'd have to imagine a new one would be so much better, even.

8. Stinger22

Stinger22 TDPRI Member

Yep I have 3 electric, clean - crunch - crunchier and 1 acoustic on the 4 presets so I don't have to have the app running if I get the urge. If you haven't tried your acoustic guitar using the included acoustic amps your in for a GREAT surprise. But with the app it gets real inspiring and have actually practiced more and tried more new things. I actually run the backing tracks and Spotify and YouTube from the app on a tablet to my home entertainment system, has a tube preamp!, and just the guitar through the Spark but playing them both through the Spark works great too or just the headphones. But you can also get a big sound at low volumes meaning the EQ is still there and using some reverb spreads out the sound.

And compare the cost to some of the other suggested amps............and looks great sitting on my entertainment center console.

Lots of GREAT reviews out there including reviewers who had big doubts but were won over.

RobSzat likes this.
  9. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

I'll second the Vox AmPlug2 !!

StevesBoogie likes this.
  10. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

You could use a pedal for an amp. Instrument in, out to headphones. If you find one with opamp(s) your signal path is analog end-to-end.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  11. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

I also mostly play late at night and have tried many headphone rigs. My current fav is an old very simple Line 6 pod thing, on the clean setting mostly, for the headphones and for aux in (for playing with MP3s) and my pedals. This pod does not have a computer interface so we get what we get and it is pretty set and forget for me. The Roland Micro Cube is a good 2nd but takes up a lot of space.

is how I have it setup now:

607AF46D-E650-47AB-ACC8-2B08EC5C5180.jpeg

12. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You sound like me.

I just got a Positive Grid Spark 40. I use it precisely as you are trying to do. The cloud-downloadable tones are great.

The app is really nice too because you can play back Youtube or Spotify songs and the software can insert chords for you to play along with. I know, I know... It's actually much better than you'd think.

This amp also doubles as a blue tooth speaker, so you can just play back music if you wish.

Now I just need some entry level earphones.

13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am less geek/tech savvy then most and the Iridium has been a godsend. Used it right out oif the box, never read the instructions. Blows the THR's away, IMHO (I have had 3).

Have used inexpensive closed back Samson heafdphones and (HP10 & Z25) it sounds great...

14. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

It sounds like there are a couple of issues you are having with your current setup. One is that you're having some trouble setting up the Trio+ in a way that works for you. The other is that there are a lot of options in the THR and it is creating analysis paralysis for you.

In my opinion, actually, what you need is a pedal or two, and that's all. You don't need a different device, or an interface, or to be saddled with the effects in the Trio+.

I have a THR10 (the older one, not the model ii) and a Trio+ as well. I have not had a lot of success using the Trio+ with the THR, and I think it's because of the hi-fi nature of the THR. It's not just an amp, it's a playback system that was co-engineered with Yamaha's Pro Audio group. I have not really spent a lot of time trying to do this recently, but the Trio+ might work better going in through the AUX in rather than in the guitar in. That I remember, there's a way to use a bunch of cables to separate out the guitar signal and the Trio's signal, and it might be worth figuring that out. To be honest, I thought the Trio+ would be a great tool, and I've found it to be a little underwhelming, actually.

By contrast, the THR10 is IMO one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought. It sounds great, and it's highly portable. I have transported it internationally in my suitcase. It is also a great recording interface - does the version II still allow you to record three tracks simultaneously using the USB input (affected signal L, affected signal R, and unaffected signal)? The one I have does, and I use it all the time to track in Reaper on my laptop.

If you have to buy a piece of gear, I would consider a drive pedal, or a multi-effects like a Boss ME series, or something like that. I think the effects in the Yamaha are fantastic - but it's nice to have a drive pedal, I've found, and the Yamaha will take pedals just fine.

BTW - I almost always use the "Clean" setting (I think it's the Fender Twin) with the Gain at about 1:00 on the dial, the Master all the way up, and then adjust the guitar volume with the output knob for guitar and/or the volume knob on my instrument. The EQ is a little boost to the mids and a little trim back on the bass and treble. I use the Delay + Reverb for a little ambience. If you use a setting like this, which is pretty clean, you can use a drive pedal and it will sound great.

You have all the gear right now to do what you want with it. But if you want a little more hair, consider a pedal or two. And do look through the Trio+ manual to separate out the loop and your guitar signal.

Headless Axeman likes this.
  15. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

iOS device, even iPhone...download Garage Band free, Focusrite 2i2 under 2hun. Earphones and go!! Lots of amps n peddles.. add a condenser mike n you can multi track record..

Headless Axeman likes this.
  16. FrogManBearPig

FrogManBearPig TDPRI Member

Boss Pocket GT. Does everything you are wanting and more. I have one and it’s incredible.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  17. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Iridium is probably the best answer, if you’re pretty sure you’re gonna always be in headphones.

I’ve been in a similar situation with little ones. I’ve got a Tonemaster Twin that goes into an SSL2+ interface, and I monitor with headphones. Lots of cheaper ways to go, but this one really works for me. I work with a computer all day - I prefer to not have to use one for creative stuff if I can avoid it. (I’ve also got a Push for the same reason, it’s great to have a physical object that can control the DAW for recording)

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have the THR10C as well, and recording with it thru USB into the included Cubase AI software gets the best home recording tone I've ever gotten. You should try it some time. Cubase is a little fussy to figure out though. Just watch a couple YouTube videos to get the basics down and then it's really simple after that. I usually use the 10C on the Deluxe Reverb setting with an overdrive pedal and the onboard delay for some bluesy tones, but the American Blues and British Blues amp models sound good too with the gain and master dimed and no overdrive pedal, for some bluesy tones. It also sounds great with a good set of phones, as do my Katana Mini and Mustang LT25.
    Remember that on the THR amps that the master control, along with the gain control, affects the amount of dirt, with the guitar control being the control for the output volume.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Thanks - I've spent plenty of time with it and I understand it well. I always think that digital modeling through headphones sounds plasticky / glitchy / annoying, all the way back to POD days. And I'm a user of Reaper and Garageband and not likely to learn a new DAW right now. I barely have enough to time to practice...

20. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

You may want to take a look at the Marshall DSL1C: an all tube 1 watt combo, switchable to1/10 watts if I'm not wrong. It has a headphone/line out jack, two channels (lead and classic gain). I haven't tried the phone out, nor how cleanish the classic channel can be, but the lead one can do classic rock. No problem. It has a three band eq, a voice switch, digital reverb (if I"m not wrong), and to me it sounded pretty good for an amp with an 8 inch speaker. It likes klon style ODs

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.