1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A good pup for an esquire?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by barker, Jan 9, 2014.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Dimarzio Pre-B1 in one of mine, my fav one too. But you should be seeking a real growly snarly grind if you plan to open up the throttle with it IMO.

2. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Of all the videos I watched, this one seemed to have the most snarl and growl. Are you saying that from your experience it doesn't really do that?

3. robt57

Sorry if not clear, I meant you need to ready for that, it is that in spades. But, with mine it cleans up and calms down with the vol Pot backed down. But I should mention I have no tone circuit in that guitar, and do not know what the response would be with one.

4. barker

barker Tele-Meister

It's ok thanks for clarifying! My wiring will:

Put pickup straight to output in pos 1 for aggressive sound, no tone or volume

Pos2 pup touches vol and tone to tame it

Pos 3 puts pup to ground via 4700 pF cap and touches volume. This is the big unknown since I've never tried it

Part of the reason I want a warmer less bright pup is for pos 1 so it doesn't destroy my ears!

Thanks again!

5. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Rob is a good guy.

6. robt57

That's what they make hemp cones for I thought. :cool:

7. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

I was in a similar situation for about a year and tried every recommended pickup from Don Mares to Duncans, and my search was recently ended by a triple tapped Rob DiStefano Cavalier pickup. I've had it for several months and I'm still discovering new sounds, a very dynamic unit. Amazing pickup at a great price, there's a reason his work is so lauded.

And his customer service is everything it's cracked up to be as well. I'm confident a Cavalier Lion would completely satisfy your needs.

8. robt57

What roughly does one of these cost?

9. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

They're not on the website, but Rob sells them $120+$5 shipping. Worth every penny. As far as Tele bridge pickups go, I can't imagine anything being more versatile or consistently brilliant in all positions.

10. dorock

dorock TDPRI Member

11. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Believe me I spend a good amount of time with the cannabis Rex and I'll take the Celestion in my Vox any old day the week!

12. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

I have a Rob Distefano cavalier lion in my esquire and i'm really satisfied whit it.Cocoboudin

13. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this earlier, but you should take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MR3YsrNUaI

Uncle Fezzter's Workshop Episode 1. He starts with a demo of a tapped pickup in an Esquire with a 3-way switch.

Even with the crappy Utube audio, it sounds pretty darn good.

He might build one for you if you ask nicely.

14. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Tele to Esquire to Tele

A follow-up:

Oh boy was this a learning experience! I've learned that:

1. If yer tele don't ring right then no matter what pickup you choose doesn't make a dang bit of difference. That underlying clang or whatever will ALWAYS be there.

2. 2 pickups gives you more range of sounds than just 1. Not insulting the Esquire lovers but this was my experience.

3. Dimarzio makes great pickups, even if yer Tele don't ring right!

I ended up keeping the Dimarzio Twang King in the neck bc it sounds the best of all the pups I tried in my clangy and bright tele. The bridge contains a Dimarzio pre b1. To kinda keep some of the esquire vibe I wired the tone pot so that the bridge is always wide open, just touches the volume. This gives me a tele with good bark in the bridge, a nice warm-ish sweetness in between, and a sweet neck position where no note gets lost in the mix. Thank you for all your advice and pardon the tangent.

15. arem

arem Tele-Meister

Don't mislead the man, The Lion is only $65 shipped in the USA. I have a Fat Lion in one of my Esquires, it's a beast. Highly recommended.

16. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

The Lion is $65. The triple tapped version isn't. It's $120. Believe me, I bought one.

17. Prefix

Prefix Tele-Meister

I am also very happy with Rob's Cavalier. Can't go wrong.

18. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

I bought a Don Mare 0038-Keefer for my Esquire.

19. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Dimarzio twang king

Seymour Duncan vintage 54

Those pickups can't be beat.

20. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I finally got my FretTech Cavalier Lion (and Esquire harness) in my Esquire project. I had very high expectations based on all the recommendations here on the TDPRI and I have to say those expectations were thoroughly exceeded. Highs are articulate and sweet - no need to roll back the tone because there isn't even a hint of shrillness. Mids and lows are clear and strong. You really can't tell how a pickup is going to sound in your guitar from an Internet video or audio samples - it's a roll of the dice. This was a big win. Rob is a very talented individual.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.