1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Good Mod for an archtop...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mr.Reed, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

Now I know I'm not digging into my archtop once it gets here (No new holes for this one), but what are some good mods using the space it's got?

Other than:

Push/pull - split coil
    Varitone Switch

That's basically all I could think of, that and phase/series/parallel mods.

Basically I'm willing to take out one set of tone and volume (my tele works with a master volume, and master tone just fine) since that would open up two holes. Any ideas?

2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Although he's primarily a bass player, I'd say Tim Armstrong.

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

What is it? What are the stock pickups/wiring like...??

4. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

If a fullsized humbucker loaded guitar then I'd suggest putting in SD PRails.
    You can use the two pots to spin-a-split between the different modes.

5. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

You don't say what model archtop it is. Is this a big hollow jazzbox? - if so then a jolly good setup probably in order, much depending on your choice of strings. You don't have to use heavy jazzbox strings unless you are using it acoustically.

That done adjust pickups, they need to be quite low otherwise it will howl. That rather rules out coil taps, response too weak. Obviously the pickups respond to the strings' vibrations, which are determined by the acoustic properties of the guitar, in other words, the amplified sound is going to be much like its acoustic sound, generally thin and hollow compared to a solid one.

Without knowing make and model, it's difficult to advise re pickups, imo Ibanez are good and Epi are rubbish.

Varitone, I've got one, stereo too, it generally stays on bypass. Not worth loosing a tone pot for.

Pots and caps, if they're minis then change them. Leave Alpha or CTS alone. Caps can be 22 for hb, 33 will be a bit darker, 47 maybe too much. The 2x2 setup usually works quite well, allowing for balancing the pickups together or pre-setting lead and rhythm: Gretsch have other ideas.

6. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

'scuse me for askin, but why are you wanting to mod a guitar you haven't even played yet ? jes' curious is all....

7. TelecasterBlooz

TelecasterBlooz Tele-Afflicted

A business card. As was once posted here, a business card threaded through the strings can produce a faux steel drum sound.

8. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

drumroll please

9. Big John

Big John RIP

Ha ha !, took a while though !

I'm with the 'why mod' brigade on this, you might play it and love it straight out of the box.

Or fit one of these ................. :D

[​IMG]

10. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

It's an Artcore, with a slimmer profile, sorry for not posting the type of guitar.

Model: AS73

I know I'm not going to mod it out the gate, I'll be playing it a bit. However I don't think I could resist changing something on it eventually, and since there is always talk about "simple" mods to a tele to add in sounds, I figure there could be a few "simple" mods that add more sounds into an archtop type guitar. However with the different type of switch and 4 pots, I figured maybe there are some cool things to be done. Since I'll play it unplugged a lot (live in a dorm, can't be loud :(), but for that special occasion I get to plug it in, I want to really be able to mess with the sound, and see what I can get to come out of the thing.

11. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

12. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey Mr. Reed...........

On my Artcore, I replaced both pickups with Duncan "Phat Cats" for the P-90 vibe and it was a great choice. The guitar sounds killer now and can cover a lot more bases. I also had the bottom two volume and tone controls disconnected and now the top two are master controls.......

On my Epiphone Sheraton, I had the bottom controls disconnected as well but they were replaced with pull pots. The knobs are still there but the old bridge tone control is now a coil tap and the old volume knob is now a phase switch............I have four Les Pauls which are also wired the same way....JH in Va.

13. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Although I'm often with the "why mod" squad, if the question were "I'm getting a new cheap archtop, to turn into a real player, what kind of flexibility is there in this design" I don't think it would even be an issue.

I'd love to have an archtop with a Duncan Phat Cat in the neck. Those things can do polite/clean or dirty/rotten, and do both very well.

14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Your "philosophy" is geared to mainstream "electric". You have to change Your mindset to enjoy the New Guitar. For You this is like going from a motor boat to a ketch (sail).
    You can always change pickups and bridge and machine heads and tailpiece. But the nature of a Hollowbody is to find Yourself in Nature.
    Play some Wes on Youtube and that'll open a new vista.
    Best of everything with the new Box.
    -stan

15. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

Stantheman - Yeah I had a feeling it's not quite like other electrics, and is the main reason I bought it.

The store shipped it today, so I'll see how well I like it after a few weeks of playing (I'll be playing this thing more than my tele's for a little while). It seems like pickups will be basically all I'll pursue with this thing.

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

in general ,with all these guitars a hardware upgrade makes a big difference ,at least it did on my Epiphone Dot .Before I switched pickups I fitted a new Gotoh bridge and tail piece and also Grover deluxe tuners .It made a huge difference to the guitars acoustics and tone ,I was amazed .They are far more solid and heavier than the originals IMHO.

17. maestrovert

i have one of the Ibanez AS-73s...

[​IMG]

i played tons of 'em before i found the best of the bunch...
    the hardware's great(vastly superior to the Epi Dot's imho), the P-ups, although ceramics are quite good, the pots and switch are good too...

If your AS-73 is a good one, no mods will be necessary imho...
    Though buying a guitar sight unseen/unplayed from a catalog or online is always a crap shoot, i've yet to hear of a bad AS-73...

Play it for a few months at least, really play it and get to know it and it's capabilities before you seriously consider modding it....

18. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

That's really the plan. I played my first tele for quite a few before I modded it. Then it was all "down hill" from there, and the guitar is pretty much what I want. I'm hoping I can connect with the Ibanez without any serious mods... hopefully strings will be the only thing needing change. Although the P-Rails look offly appealing.

maestrovert - I like the shape of the pick you have in the strings on your AS73... I've never been comfortable with "normal" picks. Teardrop is all I ever need

19. maestrovert

Heavy Fender 358 picks are my fave, but Clayton makes a nice substitute...

20. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

well... I've been wanting to see someone take Line 6 Variax guts and put them into an archtop..

i've seen it done with every kind of electric guitar Tele, Strat, Les Paul, PRS... just not seen an archtop converted to a variax...

hmmm....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.