A good fuzz under 150 bucks?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jtaylor2714, Aug 8, 2016.

1. jtaylor2714

jtaylor2714 TDPRI Member

Getting my pedalboard back together after selling all my pedals off a few years ago (dont ask :()

Got a Soul Food for overdrive which is fantastic with both Tele and Strat. Looking for a fuzz pedal next. I love Hendrix's fuzz sound but fuzz faces are over my price range here in Canada. I like the sound of the Big Muff from what I hear on demos online. Any other options?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I suggest you check out the GFS Pro Fuzz Classic

Some other inexpensive ones I like are the Danelectro French Toast , the Behringer Super Fuzz, and the Little Bear Mammoth Wooly

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

BBE Windowpane. I think it's basically a silicon Fuzz Face but cheaper than the Dunlop versions (which... it looks like even the Dunlop mini FF versions are less than $150CAD brand new? They're $99USD.)

Have you looked for used fuzz pedals? You should be able to find a ton of used fuzz pedals for less than $150CAD... heck, some of the Mooer knockoffs are like $50USD on Amazon.

4. jtaylor2714

jtaylor2714 TDPRI Member

Dunlop Band of Gypsys fuzz face mini is 168 bucks Canadian. Yea we get ripped off up here when it comes to musical equipment since its all made in the states :(
    The germanium mini one is 182. The actual big fuzz face is 189.

5. SolidSteak

Holy moly! I did not consider that the pricing would be different... just converted the USD to CAD from Amazon.

That's outrageous!

Can you get used pedals somewhere?

6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Could you build your own? There's not that much going on under the hood, so to speak..

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Mooer makes both types of Fuzz face clones.

Agitator and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

If you like big muff and fuzz face sounds, you might want to look for a used swollen pickle mkII. They can get both sides of things, and are common enough. $180 cad I would think would make it under 150 used.

9. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

MXR Classic 108 Fuzz is awesome. Really has a unique sound with the buffer.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

You can do a lot with $150. The Dan Electro Cool Cat Fuzz is tough to beat for sound and price. I would even look for a used EHX Satisfaction. Stock, they are kind of 'blah', so a lot of guys may be selling theirs. However, a popular Internet mod makes it a spot-on copy of a Jordan Bosstone fuzz. You can't go wrong, and even with a crappy Canadian dollar the pedal is under $80 new. You can also try a EHX Muff Overdrive. However, I had to mod the !#$% out of mine. Stock it is a kinda-sorta ripoff of a Fuzz Face. To make it a Fuzz Face that mine actually sounds really cool, you have to modify the circuit board a little. If that thought makes you wince, skip the Muff Overdrive. For a few bucks more, look for an Outlaw Five O'Clock Fuzz. For a few bucks more than that, you can get a Joyo Voodoo Octave. Heck, you can likely get three of these, say the Dan Electro, the Satisfaction, and the Joyo, all for under $150 if you are patient.

11. SolidSteak

There's also the Behringer Vintage Distortion, which looks like a Big Muff copy.

12. rwhite219

rwhite219 Tele-Meister

Just get a Big Muff Pi. you won't regret it. they're available used in spades so it shouldn't be a problem.

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't do fuzz much these days, but a few years ago I really liked Dunlop's mini Fuzz Face. I had the red one (germanium). Very dynamic, cleaned up nicely with the guitar's volume pot. Not totally clean, but if you always play with a touch of 'something', I could see using that one pedal all night long, on one setting, and just managing it from the guitar. I bought mine new for $99.

14. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I'll advocate for a Little Big Muff or the like. They're dirt cheap brand new at L&M. Steve's might have some too... or some decent alternatives.

15. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

+1!...Really don't have too much more to add. Really liking my Red Dunlop Germanium Mini-Fuzz Face! I don't stack it with any other pedal. I dime the drive/gain and have the pedal volume at about 75%. I can control all of the fuzz tone from the guitar volume and go from Clapton woman tone overdrive to some serious intense fuzz tones. Works for me!

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Used Barber Trifecta Fuzz.

17. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

I really like the Shoe pedals "Robert". Good mix of overdrive and fuzz in the style of Robert Fripp

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

The Fulltone '69 MKII is a great germanium Fuzz Face type. 189 CAD, should be able to get a used one for under 150.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

20. jtaylor2714

jtaylor2714 TDPRI Member

How does the little compare to the Big Muff Pi? I can find the Big Muff Pi for about 100 bucks and it is available everywhere and a classic so thats why I was interested in it initially. I know it is a bit of a different tone than Hendrix's with the Fuzzface.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.