Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Mar 23, 2019.
It's called The Brainy Effect...
I have done it so many times that I am feeling deeply connected with you right now!
Just consider all that previous finish extra coats of sanding sealer. Still looks great.
Congrats on your retirement Rick!
What gets me is that this one wasn't even blue! I'm sure we all remember that debacle
Yeah, I'll get it dialed in.
Got my Scheltema neck jig finished up and back from the machinist yesterday. This guitar's neck was the first one to come off the jig.
It came out absolutely perfect! The jig only took a couple of minutes to set up, and I couldn't be happier with the neck. It's so awesome what you can produce when you're working with something built to machinist tolerances rather than woodworker's tolerances
Here's a shot of the cradle and end pucks. These are the '59 roundback profiles.
I love that neck!
Bravo for building and making good use of Scheltema's jig , I also like that you made it out of aluminum?
Once I build one of those but I didn't ever make it work properly for me, the neck was always some mm off at the nut or the heel....
Maybe you should cnc your jig parts Nick and give it another go. .
For sure it was my mistake Marty, but since I am heading to accomplish my cnc, a God knows when ,I hope then to be able to cnc my guitar necks.
I have been very proud to carve a neck within a coupla mm’s of what I intended, Nick, you are too hard on yourself !
I am not hard with my self Rick ,that is why I am at the same sh#t level of guitar building after so many years!
Wow Roger, those things are nice, ( Neck and Jig )
My scheltema jig never got me that close, not even remotely, but i made mine from baltic birch ply.
Still it should have given better results than it did, so i blamed myself.
It is always me after all, that ruins nice wood. Well MY nice wood anyway. heheh
Maybe it was my choice of bit...
Fabulous, just great stuff!
Look forward to see the body finished again! Great work!
Finally got the burst done again and got the lacquer on. I'm pretty happy with how the lacquer went on.
That looks great Roger!
Roger did you spray the lacquer at once or several layers,what brand?
Wow, that looks fantastic!!
Very nice Roger! Your mate is going to love it!
When I retired from my government job, all I got was an offer to continue in the State Tech Manager role at about a third of the salary. After I showed my female, University educated, no talent or skills boss the finger,.......she said " I'll take that as a NO!!! shall I?
I'll PM you with my shipping address when you get mine finished Rog!
Several layers. I started with a mist coat and then laid on several wet coats. It's the Sherwin Williams LoVOC.
I'm sure she had a great story to tell later, too.
As with most state or federal institutions, no one seems to really care about the people. Luckily his best friend is department head, so he put together a nice farewell party for him.
Roger, going back to post #48 and #93, can you just briefly describe your finishing steps. In particular I'm interested in whether you have used any stain on the wood, whether you "sealed" the wood before or after staining, what products you used (I see bottles of Colortone dyes and a can of Zissner schellac - did you brush or spray shellac, if did you reduce it?
How much of the 'burst was done with stains, how much with tinted finish? The finish is outstanding and I'm interested in your schedule. If you have any intermediate pictures I would love to see them.
Finish work is by far my weakest link. The way I do it isn't the way it's done by people who actually know what they're doing .
My first step us typically grain filling with TimberMate. I never do a great job of it, though, so I usually have to rely on my shellac coats to finish that job.
After grain filling, I'll usually start with the shellac coats: Zinnser amber sprayed through my Harbor Freight HVLP rig. I usually thin it a bit with denature alcohol so it flows better. I only do a couple of coats and then sand back since this is used as my grain filling as well. I spray and sand back as much as needed to get most of the grain filled.
Once I think it's where it needs to be, I start adding the ColorTone tobacco brown to start laying down the burst. I lay down quite a few coats, particularly toward the edges. I've done this step with my HVLP and a PreVal sprayer. The Preval definitely gives me better control, but the HVLP covers better. As the amount of shellac starts reducing in my container, I'll add more tobacco brown to give me a stronger mix so that the edges get darker and darker. I may even add a drop or two of black toward the end. You want it darker than you think since the next step changes things quite a bit.
Once that's done, I'll let it dry overnight and then start leveling things out with 0000 steel wool. This will change the look of the burst pretty dramatically since you're knocking off quite a bit of the shellac. This is where you can really shape things and get a really great fade in the burst. I may end up taking it down pretty far if I still notice unfilled pores, and if that happens, I'll reapply more burst coats later.
Once it's all steel wooled level, I then apply the lacquer. I use Sherwin Williams LoVoc.
The one thing about this kind of burst is that it really depends on the light to pop. It can go from somewhat dull and tame to WOW with the right lighting: