A gold watch... kinda

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Mar 23, 2019.

1. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

That is a beauty Roger!

RogerC likes this.
  2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, I'm back from all my work events. I was in Boston Wednesday - Friday last week and then flew straight to Dallas to the Dallas International Guitar Festival. I'm back in the office and pretty tired today, but I had a great time. A big part of my enjoyment in Dallas was getting to meet this guy:

[​IMG]

I've been a big fan of his for awhile now, and meeting him made me even more of a fan. He's as nice, engaging and personable as anyone you'll ever meet.

So now it's time to get back to work on this guitar. I've gotten the first round of wet sanding done but haven't even started on the neck carve yet, so I don't think I'll be making the May 10 deadline. I'm taking off work on Wednesday, so we'll see how it goes. If I can finish up the wet sanding tonight and tomorrow night, then I can spend all day Wednesday getting the neck done. More updates to come...

3. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

OK, I'll be the first to admit it. No idea who the other guy is. :( Anyone else in that boat?

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I thought the same thing then I thought......hmmm Phil X? So I googled Phil X and Dallas Guitar festival and he turned up there... So my money is on Phil X. The only reason I know about Phil X is because I googled certain guitars over the last couple of years and he turns up in the videos. I will admit that I'm kind of out of touch with modern day celebrity.

5. RogerC

Yep, it's Phil X. :D

Yeah, Marty. He does a lot of gear reviews for Fretted Americana which is how I first found out about him several years ago. I became of fan because I love how animated and joyful he is. He definitely doesn't take himself too seriously, which is a big draw for me.

Oh, and I also met Andy Timmons but didn't get a pic.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Pretty cool Roger! I'm the same as you with the Fretted Americana vids from years ago. He seems like a great guy and a lot of fun to watch. A great player too. Is he still with Bon Jovi?

RogerC likes this.
  7. RogerC

Yeah, I think he is.

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Phil X is cool, (not just because he's Canadian) and it's cool you got to meet him.

RogerC likes this.
  9. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

I wish the day I retire someone has the brilliant idea and the chops to accomplish something similar

RogerC and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  10. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I was just reading back through the earlier post. Killing time while I wait for the next update.

Soooo.............you ran a 5K and THEN worked on the guitar? I have to take a nap after I walk my dog around the block. What the...........?

My (tin foil) hat is off to you Sir.

Lake Placid Blue and RogerC like this.
  11. RogerC

:lol: I've been working pretty hard over the last couple of years to lose some weight and get back into shape, so now I actually have a little bit of energy. Plus, that was my best run ever, so I was feeling really good and wanted to tackle some other things while the mood struck.

The guitar is off to my car painter friend to shoot the clear. I never do very well with wet sanding and polishing, so it's worth the money to let him do it. I'm hoping to pick it up Friday.

Oh, and I missed the May 10 deadline. That's ok, though, because the vet school will be having a huge retirement bash for him in July, so I'll have it done by then.

12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, so we DO get to see the finished guitar. Kool! That burst looks sick.
    Sorry I missed you Roger! My wife's job doesn't always make going out easy especially when she's on the late shift.

RogerC likes this.
  13. RogerC

Yep, I hope to post final shots in the next couple of weeks.

No worries, man. It would've been great to have seen you, but it was pretty short notice.

Barncaster and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  14. RogerC

Picked up the body yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back doesn't look quite as good as the front because I'm just not very patient with my pore filling :oops:

[​IMG]

Won't really make any more progress for another week or so because I've got my neck carving jig at the machinist's shop making a few tweaks, and I won't pick that up until next Friday, so this will just be hanging out in the shop until I get the neck carved. Then once that's done, I'll mate them up and mount the bridge and pickups.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sweeeeeeet!

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wow, this one was worth tuning in for, even late! Awesome burst after a 5k, AND Phil X thrown in to boot. You’re an animal, Rog! And I’m retiring in August, and will be 70 myself then, so plenty of time after you get Dave’s built!

17. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

That looks fantastic!

RogerC likes this.
  18. RogerC

Thanks, Chris

:D

Thanks, Craig

19. RogerC

Ok, so in my usual fashion, I couldn't get a pretty guitar done without something like this happening..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think my lacquer was cured enough before doing the final clear coat, and it was causing some problems. It was still pretty soft, and I was leaving finger prints in it, and there were other issues as well, so I had to sand everything off and start over. I'm still sanding actually.

I hope to get the color coats a coat or two of lacquer on today.

20. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

That sucks, it looked so good.

I'm not worried though, you will make it good again.

RogerC and nickhofen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.