A gig tomorrow…and as it happens, also an anniversary…

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
The gig is a regular one, my residency, I guess you could say. I didn’t coin that term with this meaning of a consistent booking for performance, but I’ve heard and read it, so I’ll lay claim to it as well.

The residency I have is with the Sunset Hideaway in Ingleside on the Bay. They’ve booked me for several years now, but in times past they would call me to book me every 6-8 weeks or so. This year since they’ve started up again in March (it’s an outdoor venue), they’ve booked me monthly. I truly don’t know if they’re happy to have me, hard up for acts to book or just gluttons for punishment, but I’ll gladly take the gig.

But on a somewhat different note, the anniversary commemorates a decidedly less cheerful circumstance. On Wednesday night, August 27, 2014 I had a heart attack. I’ve talked about it before here on TDPRI, so I won’t rehash the details here, but I’ll try be succinct (for me) and sum up.

Suffice it to say that I’d not been taking care of myself back then. I weighed probably 40 lbs. or so more than I do now. I didn’t eat well or exercise, and I had taken to drinking diet sodas a lot (that stuff’ll kill ya).

In the ER, when the blood work they’d run on me came back, it not only revealed the presence of the enzyme that told them I had indeed had a heart attack, but also revealed uncontrolled Type II diabetes. The next day they did a test to reveal the level of blockage to my arteries, and the day after that, I underwent quadruple bypass surgery.

Afterward, I made changes. I was put on Metformin for my diabetes, but I also started to eat better and to exercise. (As a matter of fact, I just came in from my evening walk a little while ago.) In 2020, my doctors took me off of all medications, and I have managed my diabetes without drugs for the last two years.

So, it just so happens that this year I’m booked for a gig on my 8th “anniversary.” But I look at this as less of a celebration and more of a reminder. Tomorrow night I’ll be playing Blackberry Smoke’s song “Ain’t Much Left of Me” as an inside joke of sorts.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Every day above ground is a good day! I tell myself this every morning. knock on wood.... i haven't had any major health issues.

Hats off to you for taking "better" control of your health and your life!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Congratulations, and all the best for the gig.
I can't think of a better way to mark a significantly life changing date than playing a gig.
Play every note like you've been spared for reason, I'm sure your audience will enjoy it.
Better still, you have a great time.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Okay, the only gear left to load into the truck are my guitars (they're always the last to load in and the first to load out), then I'm off to the gig. It's a little more than a half hour's drive over there, and of course I've got to set up and sound check before start time of 6:30 (3-hour gig).

Oh, and these are the guitars for my "acoustic" and "electric" sets: my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele style and my Firecaster I tele. I like gigging with these two, in no small part because of the aesthetics. These two guitars each look they are the mirror/negative image of the other...

1661637065247.jpeg