A funny twist of irony for the EV haters - city bus & fire truck content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend of Leo's
EVs are definitely the future, and, if we're sensible a not too distant future.
There will come a day when the alternative is to go back to a horse and cart!

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, thats you. I love it, its quite clear.
I do, too. Machines me get around. The old point-A-to-point-B thing.
If you have a problem with that, its your problem not mine.
No problem here! I was wondering why you had a problem. I think we're okay.
Highlight RC, right click, select GOOGLE search and you will find out it means this:
BezgarRemoteControlCar-a393b1bcfa28424e9cd730dc84953733.jpg
Aha! Right click! Shoulda known!

I've never used a computer that has it, but I've heard of it. Sounds handy.

Cute toy!
You have to buy this top fuel "sound" for your EV. Its a must have 🤣

I've heard it's going to be mandated.

A non-cement town :)
Cool! According to Bob Crumb, in the future:

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 8.00.27 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 7.58.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 7.58.30 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I need know more to understand your point here.

I see some insurance industry stats stating 25 per 100,000 EV vs 1530 per 100,000 ICE fires. Are you planning a post with several pages of ICE vehicle fire pics?

When we were shopping I recall Tesla's site had stats too but I thought those insurance industry stats would be more fair seeing they don't have EVs for sale like Tesla.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
The other problem is putting those fires out. You literally cannot extinguish a burning EV battery.
Like the other fire post, I think you need to be able to substantiate your claims. They are more difficult but fire departments all over have or are getting the training.

I don't have personal experience, but my cousin's son manages the safety for one of the big EV makers, and he's worked for two industrial/automotive giants in this capacity now. Beyond fewer fires, I have a firm impression fire departments where there are more EVs have the training.

No doubt there might be other challenges or issues, but the auto industry didn't spend $ many billions without a whole lot of thought and attention to detail. The arm chair director concerns like yours are legit concerns but I'm not sure most of the arm chair directors are addressing it with same detail the engineers do.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
There will always be a group that will fight change, regardless of how beneficial. When the facts don’t fit their narrative, they just make reasons up to hate new technology.

I remember even 10 years ago on another forum, people bragging about how they didn’t have a cell phone, didn’t text, like it made them special, instead of recognizing the reality that it just made them inconvenient to work with.

I’m not saying that the EV is the best solution for everyone, but acting like you’re special just because you’re a contrarian and reject change out of hand only makes you look silly.

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Have you been told that? If so, by whom?
That remains a big and repeating mystery to me. I'm aware of pundits who spread that but not any of them having their own auto maker plants and manufacturing prowess to pull it off.

I've pointed out 2 of the biggest auto makers just developing and starting completely new generation gasoline engines at a cost of $ billions and they are supposed to last the up to decades those usually do. This continues. The engineering school one of my kids is in has a famous funded by GM and military engine research department and the research continues even with GM's huge commitment to EVs.

From earlier in this thread, I pointed out the 1974 55 MPH law and others from the past. The point being 48 years later we don't drive 55 MPH in tiny cars on freeways. From my home I see neighbors have large V8 powered pickup trucks they use like cars.

Finally, the Vaclav Smil book I suggested as fantastic has the data and quantification to prove we can't change how we live as much or as fast as some think.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There will always be a group that will fight change, regardless of how beneficial. When the facts don’t fit their narrative, they just make reasons up to hate new technology.

I remember even 10 years ago on another forum, people bragging about how they didn’t have a cell phone, didn’t text, like it made them special, instead of recognizing the reality that it just made them inconvenient to work with.

I’m not saying that the EV is the best solution for everyone, but acting like you’re special just because you’re a contrarian and reject change out of hand only makes you look silly.

And what seems to be making this worse is that there definitely is a bias along the lines of something-we-can't-talk-about, particularly in the US. And that doesn't make sense, to boot.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
The problem is that you dont realize this micro aggression looks indeed funny but not in a positive way for you
Is wondering why you don't like EVs aggressive? Why don't like them? (I can explain exactly why I don't, and I don't even have to invoke Elon Musk to do it.)
Reminds me of the ostrich tactic:
illustration-ostrich-head-sand-inscription-banner-avoiding-problems-cartoon-funny-185134485.jpg

I'm more of a self-contained ostrich.

And speaking of ostriches, what's this about Australia? That's not where Maine is.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
And what seems to be making this worse is that there definitely is a bias along the lines of something-we-can't-talk-about, particularly in the US. And that doesn't make sense, to boot.
It isn't any different than challenges in my job that has evolved beyond technical to needing a lot of leadership, management and more understanding of how we think and act. The around 1000 employees means a slice of this behavior is a constant challenge. A funny angle was the post that brought up "Dunning-Kruger Monthly". That many are not good about change is understood and we do our best to help our precious staff with that. Unfortunately some just dig in with very simplistic parochial or tribal behavior.

Beyond whether or not it makes sense or your ability to make sense, there is a worrisome aspect of not being competitive. That has elements sad to me. You see people getting passed by or who give up when as a leader you know they could succeed. In going to my 45th high school reunion and among friends I have associates who didn't have to have the world pass them by.

In business, our small firm also competes with Amazon, WalMart, Starbucks and Target. It means some stubborn people could be competitive have to get passed over or said goodbye.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It isn't any different than challenges in my job that has evolved beyond technical to needing a lot of leadership, management and more understanding of how we think and act. The around 1000 employees means a slice of this behavior is a constant challenge. A funny angle was the post that brought up "Dunning-Kruger Monthly". That many are not good about change is understood and we do our best to help our precious staff with that. Unfortunately some just dig in with very simplistic parochial or tribal behavior.

Beyond whether or not it makes sense or your ability to make sense, there is a worrisome aspect of not being competitive. That has elements sad to me. You see people getting passed by or who give up when as a leader you know they could succeed. In going to my 45th high school reunion and among friends I have associates who didn't have to have the world pass them by.

In business, our small firm also competes with Amazon, WalMart, Starbucks and Target. It means some stubborn people could be competitive have to get passed over or said goodbye.

Change is always happening and it leaves some people behind.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
There's every reason to be skeptical about technological change. Even the most benign seeming technologies have unpredicatable after effects. In 1905 nobody was predicting that car ownership would be near ubiquitous, that there would be a vast publicly funded freeway system: that ubiquitous car ownership would destroy small town america. and lead to mom and pop stores being replaced by Walmarts on the outskirts of a dying town.

But skepticism and denial are different things. Lots of these threads involve people inventing reasons why an EV can never work. What they are reacting to is a more general change in culture. At some point we will get solar panels on the roof and then we will be charging the car from the sun. TDPRI john will jump in to tell me that solar panels are not green because they have to be manufactured etc etc. Perfect isn't possible, but slightly better is possible, and worth pursuing.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity

That'd be me, boss! No cell phone, have never texted. But I don't agree that it makes me special. It just makes me a minority.

Wouldn't at all mind having a cell, but they're expensive, and I don't really need one. I mainly confine my recreational shopping to music-related things. Like, I just bought better tuners for my mando, and I'm saving up for a drop-D lever for my dread.

But it's getting harder to not have a cell. There are too many things that require them now, it's starting to get a little to hard to go without.

So maybe some day. After the drop-D lever. And a mando Tone Gard. And maybe an old Gibson dread my guit-whisperer has on the rack. And a better mic . . . .
As a full-fledged contrarian, I have to point out that different does not mean special and special does not mean silly.

You can look 'em up. I'll happily cop to different and silly, but special? File it under J for No way, Jose!

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
Is wondering why you don't like EVs aggressive? Why don't like them? (I can explain exactly why I don't, and I don't even have to invoke Elon Musk to do it.)

I'm more of a self-contained ostrich.

And speaking of ostriches, what's this about Australia? That's not where Maine is.
Can you stop these pointless replies because you refuse to accept not everybody has the same taste with you and accept that you cant change someone's opinion regardless the fact that you feel entitled to?

Give it a try.

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Ummm, yeah. Zero emissions? Where do people think the electricity comes from? Unicorns? Electrical distribution grids are already stretched thin and vulnerable, adding millions of EV charging stations is not sustainable. Sorry, just sayin'.

104763811-GettyImages-859523200-coal-plant.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.