A fun new band, I have tinnitus, what to do?

Would you play in a new band if you already have tinnitus?

• Yes, this is how I make my living

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Sure, you only live once

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Nah, I’d just play at home

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I’d sell my gear and take up gardening

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Would you join a band if you already had tinnitus? I’ve had mild tinnitus for about a year. I had my ears tested and got a couple of pairs of custom fit earplugs. I keep 15 dB filters in one set and 25 dB filters in the other. But despite the earplugs, my tinnitus is noticeably worse after just a few jams. I guess my ears are just sensitive. We’re not that loud, tough I think we were louder last night.

Mind you, this is a hobby for me. It’s a hobby I am very passionate about, but I don’t make my living this way, so I don’t have to play out at all.

But I really enjoy playing in a group. I write lots of songs and with this new group we started to work on one of my songs and it was super fun. And overall I like the vibe of the group. But I’m pretty certain playing in a band will only make my tinnitus worse and I would HATE to have severe tinnitus.

It’s quite a conundrum and I don’t know what to do.

If the plugs aren't helping, then you better find some plugs that work no matter how custom or expensive the one's you have are, if you are ringing your ears during practice they are insufficient, no matter how loud you think you are.

I usually notice ear ring right after the exposure to the loud sound ceases. e.g. my own guitar amp or some overly loud rock show.

Then it gets better later, but every time you ring the bell at least some of it might stay with you, and it seems like the tinitus gets progressively worse. I can think of several incidents in my life where my ears have been severely rung and that all of the ring has never left.

Either protect yourself better and play with the band, or give it up, or accept that possibly permanent damage to your hearing is accumulating.

"Don't like the plugs but the plugs like me!" LOLZ.

Join the band, play well, and have fun.

There's nothing like performing live in front of an appreciative audience.

Most of us have tinnitus.
It's not a big deal.

:)

^^^^^ this is awful advice ^^^^^^^^^^^^ It's totally preventable. And when you're deaf as a post, it is a big deal.

I think you can have issues with tinnitus without being exposed to loud sounds too.

You're going to a doctor already, I'm sure he has some ideas. Are you both confident that your tinnitus is related to being exposed to loud music. Are your ears ringing right after practice?

teletail

Friend of Leo's
If your audiologist isn't helping you solve the problem, you need a new one. You want to play, your current hearing protection isn't adequate, find an audiologist that will help you.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Most of us have tinnitus.
It's not a big deal.

I truly hope everyone here understands what a thoughtless crock of BS this statement is...... and I'm glad for you that you don't understand. You are very lucky not to understand it, and I hope you never do.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I truly hope everyone here understands what a thoughtless crock of BS this statement is...... and I'm glad for you that you don't understand. You are very lucky not to understand it, and I hope you never do.

Don't hold back, Scooter.

Tell us how you really feel.

PM me if you wish to discuss my own audiologist's analysis, and the variety of ways by which a tinnitus patient may have arrived at their current condition. And how complex a neurological condition that tinnitus truly is.
The possible causes and manifestations are a truly deep and wide discussion.

It's not always strictly about the noise.

Friends forever, you and me.
;)

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire

And, as a regularly-gigging musician yourself, you know full well of the many way by which a guitar player can perform safely at low, manageable stage volumes, but project a clean and proper (loud) PA volume out to the paying audience.

I have tinnitus, but I also have excellent (and regularly-tested) hearing.

It's not that hard to keep the stage volume low, and the PA volume up where it needs to be, all at the same time.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
My ears were ringing before I ever listened to music or touched a guitar so I'm pretty sure I'm good to keep gigging. I don't want to talk to my audiologist or see an eye doctor either. I bought a louder amp and got me a magnifying glass to head off any future troubles at the pass. Home remedies I call them.

Barbeque John

Tele-Meister
I play in a duo, I'm sure playing in a full band with a loud drummer killed a good bit of hearing, in my earlier days. Parties and jams in basements, gigs in halls with awful acoustics. Didn't do a lot of bars in the smoke filled days, I am thankful for that. Duo with son is acoustic me, electric for him. PA behind us, no monitors. Everything through PA, no amps. I am going to need aids one of these days, lost a lot of high end, and have some tinnitus. I don't like the plugged feeling of my earbuds after a while. When walking, I listen to music on the speaker in my phone at a moderate level. Makes up for my loss of high end hearing.....

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s like forgiving those who wrong you, even though they may never ask to be forgiven. If it is who you are, you find a way to do it. I hope others do the same for me.

Only you can decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I’ve got some hills that I’ll die on, but music isn’t one of them anymore.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
One particular blood pressure med that my best guitar buddy was on gave him really pronounced tinnitus. Precautions stated that it can be permanent. Seasonal allergies can kick it up as well for me.

RolandG

Tele-Meister
I have tinnitus. I’ve had it all my life. As a child I thought it was the ear’s equivalent of static on an AM radio. I was 16 before I found out that other people don’t have it. Of course it hasn’t stopped me playing in a band.

More worrying is top end hearing loss from decades of loud music, chainsaws, and other sources. I wear earplugs in noisy areas. With my band we all use IEMs, which means that I can limit myself to the channels I need to hear: kick, snare, keys, guitar and vocals; which makes it easier to pick out what I need.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I had painful tinnitus that has subsided over the years. I still have tinnitus, but it doesn't hurt nearly as much as it used to.
Finding the correct 'light touch' drummer or a drummer who used E-Drums was what helped me.
Paul Gilbert has bad tinnitus and hearing loss. He uses over the ear sound suppression, not sure if they are also headphones or if he uses in-ears.
200px-Paul_Gilbert_.jpg

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Would you join a band if you already had tinnitus? I’ve had mild tinnitus for about a year. I had my ears tested and got a couple of pairs of custom fit earplugs. I keep 15 dB filters in one set and 25 dB filters in the other. But despite the earplugs, my tinnitus is noticeably worse after just a few jams. I guess my ears are just sensitive. We’re not that loud, tough I think we were louder last night.

Mind you, this is a hobby for me. It’s a hobby I am very passionate about, but I don’t make my living this way, so I don’t have to play out at all.

But I really enjoy playing in a group. I write lots of songs and with this new group we started to work on one of my songs and it was super fun. And overall I like the vibe of the group. But I’m pretty certain playing in a band will only make my tinnitus worse and I would HATE to have severe tinnitus.

It’s quite a conundrum and I don’t know what to do.

Try this... use your prescription earplugs, yes, but also add this:

peltor-750012-ear-protection.jpg

Using the earplug/over-ear-protector combo I've managed to walk away unscathed even from firing artillery pieces.

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
I struggled with hearing loss and tinnitus for quite a while. I have 2 sets of custom plus -9db and -25db. I hated wearing them while trying to sing harmonies. I found it difficult.

I quit the "loud drummer with electric guitars" band. Started an acoustic based band with a cajone on percussion. I dropped the ear plugs. I got tested and now have hearing aids. I love them. I got a set however wearing one at at time is my preference. One is all I need for now. Gives me the little hearing boost I need. I no longer am upset with what to do about my hearing loss. I don't notice the tinnitus when I have a hearing aid in. I'm 51, tinnitus started up about 10 years ago. I have been playing in bands for about 20 years. I don't plan to stop.