a former attorney who left the field in 1998 to join the circus

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Back to the original story of the attorney who left legal practice for an assumed identity training toothless monkeys to whip dogs around a racetrack - I was disappointed not to find out from the article whether this was an ethics-driven life decision for Mr Dolci/Hendricks.

This is the best post I've seen on Bad Dog in months. Well done sir! May I raise a 2019 Antico Fuoco Rosso in a stemless glass to you?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This.
this is the most bizarre statement I have read in a news article in some time. It is from a disturbing account of alleged animal abuse where in capuchin monkey jockeys ride on dogs:

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/nati...cle_fe49534a-4474-57c2-82b7-1f862d6525d5.html

I don't really want to comment on the animal cruelty part. I think this show should be shut down and the animals turned over to people who know how to care for animals, but in the first third of the article we find that Phil Hendricks, the owner, ran away to join the circus not only as a grown-ass man, but also as an attorney.

Did any of you ever think about leaving your current profession and joining the circus? Did any of you actually do it?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

When I used to work for The Man, I never felt the need to run away - there were a$$clowns aplenty.

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A close friend left law school after the first year to attend Barnum and Bailey’s circus school in Fla. Be returned a year later and has been a lawyer for 40+ years.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
No, but i have often felt like coworkers were clowns. Enough to make a song about it.

ghostwolf

Tele-Holic
In my early 20s i left a crappy job in a tire-making factory to work with a professional magician whose business partner was a carney, as Mylo had been prior to his settling down after getting married.
Within a year's time, i was working a sideshow gig as "The Amazing India-Rubber Skinned Boy", climbing ladders made of swords barefoot, eventually having real cinder blocks smashed on my chest with a sledge hammer as i lay on a real bed of nails...
Oddly enough this wasn't even the weirdest job i've had, that would have to be doing security in a whorehouse.
(the cinder block thing was less of a headache...)

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
In my early 20s i left a crappy job in a tire-making factory to work with a professional magician whose business partner was a carney, as Mylo had been prior to his settling down after getting married.
Within a year's time, i was working a sideshow gig as "The Amazing India-Rubber Skinned Boy", climbing ladders made of swords barefoot, eventually having real cinder blocks smashed on my chest with a sledge hammer as i lay on a real bed of nails...
Oddly enough this wasn't even the weirdest job i've had, that would have to be doing security in a whorehouse.
(the cinder block thing was less of a headache...)

Teller, I'm sorry Penn Jillette is such an abusive bastard.

So many questions...but I suspect you might be a super created by Compound V

ghostwolf

Tele-Holic
Penn & Teller are still two of my favorite acts. Actually, since Doug Henning passed, they are the favorite.
Super? Not hardly.
What is Compound V?

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I kind of did ......
I helped set up 3 Cirque De Sollier performances, very hard work I might add but the talent was killer to watch

kafka

Friend of Leo's
A friend in college joined a trapeze act. She was very determined, and wrote to them repeatedly until they relented and agreed to train her. I don't know where the story went after that.

For my parents, the circus was a big deal. My father told how as a first grader he got lost on the circus grounds walking to school, and spent the day watching the elephants. I remember being impressed with the motorcycle act on the high wire, and we saw Gunther Gebel-Williams a number of times. It was spectacular. We continued to read those programs over and over again for years afterwards. I think my mother still has them.

I took the kids when they were young, and it was pretty different. It was more commercial, more stripped down. Less glamorous overall, and didn't seem to have any risk in it. I don't think it made much of an impression on my kids, and didn't turn into the memory that it did for my siblings and myself or our parents.

Last edited: