a former attorney who left the field in 1998 to join the circus

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drf64, Nov 24, 2021.

1. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This.
    this is the most bizarre statement I have read in a news article in some time. It is from a disturbing account of alleged animal abuse where in capuchin monkey jockeys ride on dogs:

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/nati...cle_fe49534a-4474-57c2-82b7-1f862d6525d5.html

I don't really want to comment on the animal cruelty part. I think this show should be shut down and the animals turned over to people who know how to care for animals, but in the first third of the article we find that Phil Hendricks, the owner, ran away to join the circus not only as a grown-ass man, but also as an attorney.

Did any of you ever think about leaving your current profession and joining the circus? Did any of you actually do it?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

nojazzhere, scook and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I left the circus (the technical/mechanical side of the medical field) to join a profession with honor and dignity (safety coordinator in the construction field).

The clowns (hospital administrators) were driving me crazy.

3. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This hits close to home. I may need to rethink my life

Telekarster and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When I made the decision to leave Denver and return to Canada, I went to a local watering hole where a friend tended bar. I told her what I was going to do, and asked to borrow her car. She said “you’re running away to join the circus!” I said no, I was just going back home. She said “no, running away to join the circus.” Then she asked me why I needed her car. It was embarrassing to tell her that I needed to pick up my unicycle at the repair shop. In case you’re wondering, that is 100% true.

5. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

As above, also left the circus after 35 years of crisis mental health field. Same clowns, the monkeys were just being silly but decent. Now doing consulting to the clowns…hopeless but at least they are paying me and it’s their fault if they don’t listen.

6. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I retired and got married. So, yeah...

nojazzhere and drf64 like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, I left the circus at age 41. It’s the big 3 ring circus tent called Silicon Valley.

Horse racing and dog racing should have been declared illegal at least half a century ago. Reflection of a very sad human trait. Apparently, we could never grow from the Roman era 2000 years ago. Pathetic.

Dan German, nojazzhere, scook and 3 others like this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

I had a cousin who was in line to inherit a pretty good lift truck business (like fork lifts and gates and that kind of stuff) in Birmingham, Al. I always liked him... at 26 or so, he quit and went to clown college and became a Barnum and Bailey clown.

A lot of family was outraged and kind of wigged out about it. I went to see them perform (and him) in Virginia when I lived there. He'd met a girl (clown) by then and they pretty much lived on the train. They went on for a really long time and then something happened, I think maybe an injury or something.... he ended up as a teacher at the clown college... then, later, he went to Japan and became a comedian at the Disneyland there and then that became a job training comedians and clowns in Japan. (he became fluent in like 5 languages during the years he was a clown) and I think he is still doing that.

I am a firm believer in consistent and earnest reinvention.

In the linked story... sounds too tiger king.

9. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Afflicted

You rode a unicycle from Colorado to Canada? You sir, are a manly man :lol:

10. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Well that doesn’t give me a fuzzy feeling.... I’m thinking of getting into the medical field

I would probably be a nurse to start with or some sort of tech

Haven’t started any process yet though

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  11. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

It used to be said here of John Major that he was the man who ran away from the circus to become an accountant.

Aftermath, koen, Hamstein and 2 others like this.
  12. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Doctor of Teleocity

At the age of 18 I appeared in a circus as a clown riding a penny-farthing bicycle and crashed into the lion cage.

The lion was very grumpy that day.:eek:

13. drewg

drewg Tele-Holic

I think I heard this story in a Tom Waits song. Or maybe it was Ballad of a Thin Man. Something is happening here but you don’t know what it is. Do you, Mr Jones?

Toto'sDad and Dan German like this.
  14. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Me and a buddy got suckered in by a carni to help tear down the tilt-a-whirl once, many decades ago, for 20 bucks. "It's easy money guys! You'll be outta here in no time!" Yeah.... well.... 8 hours later and covered in grease, man handlin' giant pieces of iron to load onto the flatbed etc. etc. pretty much cured us of that lifestyle! LOL!!! It was an experience though.... :confused:o_O

Fretting out, nojazzhere and drf64 like this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The closest I came was watching a YT video of a couple guys doing the rigging for Barnum & Bailey in an arena in Boise. It was actually pretty interesting. If anyone flies truss on a regular basis, check him out. I think his YT name is "Boiserigger".

nojazzhere and drf64 like this.
  16. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

Had a student who ran away to join the circus. He probably did better there than in school.

D.H.

P-Nutz and drf64 like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You know what bothered me most about that link? The circus owner, Philip Hendricks, was known as Philip Dolci when he was an attorney. Do ALL attorneys practice under assumed names?

Telekarster, kafka and drf64 like this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was just looking for better work-life balance… :D

19. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I did know some circus musicians back in the day before canned music but I never would leave to join. Specifically lead trumpet players. Chops of iron. These guys could play high “C” all night long! So I have known musicians who joined the circus. From one gig to the next.

I have some friends who own a very large southern farm with equestrian facilities. When the circus came to town, they had the only facilities around large enough to house the elephants. From what I’ve heard and contrary to popular beliefs is that they were well taken care of. I’m not a supporter of the circus but at least it gave me a little more peace of mind to know they were treated well at least when they were here.

Telekarster and nojazzhere like this.
  20. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Back to the original story of the attorney who left legal practice for an assumed identity training toothless monkeys to whip dogs around a racetrack - I was disappointed not to find out from the article whether this was an ethics-driven life decision for Mr Dolci/Hendricks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.