A few things cashiers do that I hate.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

First off no offense to any cashiers and not all of them do it.

1. First thing is when I walk in and ask about an item and they respond "if I have any..." as if they own the store or the item. Or as if they make the choice of what the chain store carries.
    Obviously this one doesn't apply to mom and pop shops.

2. Ok the first may be a bit of just me but all can agree with this one. When they freaking hand back money with change and put the change on the money and it creates a slide and the change goes everywhere unless your as caution as someone on a tight rope.

3. When some thing cost 10.45 and I give them a 20 and they say "out if 20". No I gave you a teeny but take it out of 50. Sorry it just seems like a weird question.

4. When something cost 6.70 and I give them 10.20 and they don't know it's 3.50 (I get 2 quarters back because I hate a lot of change in my pocket) and it takes them forever or they ask me what they owe me. Or even worse is say 6.70 and I give them 10.70 and they don't its an even 4.

Sorry this has been bothering me for years. Haha.

2. neckradius

neckradius Tele-Holic

I'm with you on number 2.

I just think the strangest thing is how corporate America has decided that cashiers must use the word "following" as in can I help the following customer? What's wrong with next? Can I help the next customer. The following customer sounds weird and wrong.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1. and 2. are just you. 3. is training. You always verbally identify the denominations. The camera can hear. 4. is a sign of the times...

4. Chick-N-Picker

Where are you from? I've never heard that but I agree that is dang ridiculous. If they start doing that where I live I won't be able to control myself and may run amok and start dismembering everyone.:mad:

Tatercaster and RLee77 like this.
  5. Chick-N-Picker

So I am just crazy? I knew it.

blkpwdr and william tele like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It bothers me that they NEVER say "Hey, today your groceries are on the house."

teletimetx, Deeve, xafinity and 4 others like this.
  7. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

A lot of this could be solved by using a debit card. Using cash is pretty inconvenient to begin with, no matter how they hand it back.

sjruvolo, stnmtthw and songtalk like this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This, and I'll add that at age 22 you best prepare yourself for a lot more frustrating things that will come across your path over the next 80 years or so assuming you live that long. If you don't have children yet you're in for a real treat but at least that #4 can be avoided if you teach yours how to count and do simple math without a calculator. ;)

9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Awwwww. Sounds like it might be time to get a job and a little perspective young chicken picker.

You have obviously not had to ring a few thousand people of all stripes up every week before.

All of those things are courtesy for someone out there and there's no way for anybody in the service industry to know what kind of person they are dealing with, so most people are fairly transparent and cautious and upfront when ringing because of fear of criticism and rudeness from judgemental customers.

Daddy Hojo, Blue Bill, dmitri and 7 others like this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

They got the job of cashier without knowing how to count.

That'll end well.

And no doubt they'll be the ones crying when they're replaced by machines.

11. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Let it go. OP needs to wear a name tag in the service industry for a while. Dealing with judgmental peeps, and those that think you get paid enough that they can treat you as subhuman due to said name tag, will change your perspective.

12. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I used to train cashiers and number 3 is a must. Quick change artist prey on cashiers who don't announce the denomination. One other thing, the cashier should not put away the bill into the drawer until the customer has his/her change (lay it across the till), another way of deterring quick change artist.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

And I'll add to my previous post there's always the self checkouts. They aren't gonna be as cute as that little blonde checker and you can't flirt with them to ease all those supercharged 22 year old male hormones but you will get the correct change every time. :D

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was raised to treat everyone with full respect.

If cashiers cannot do arithmetic, I will not be rude. But we still have a problem.

This thread gives me the idea that I might complain to the manager that their hiring standards are too low.

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Wow, this thread makes my day. I have had a secret pet peeve about the customer/cashier interaction for decades. But in the realm of rants and whining, it doesn't have enough "errrgh!" to merit a mention. Now, though, I see an opportunity in a thread devoted to this topic. Perhaps this is the kind of audience who will appreciate, at long last, how annoying it can be when a cashier lays the receipt on top of the cash. (I've seen coins on top of the receipt.) Actually, that's not the problem. The problem is that I want to square away these items, bills, change, and receipt. That's 3 destinations, in the way that I do things.

I have a thing where I don't like to be seen to impose on strangers, especially when I'm holding up a line of customers while I try to separate, without sliding, and put away the three items. I always move off to the side, when possible, so I don't think I really hold anyone up, unless I drop a quarter.

Whoa, hold my horses! Not so fast. I'm almost exclusively a debit card kind of guy, so what's the prob? OK, not now, but before debit cards became ubiquitous, man, I was really bugged by that receipt thing. Well, not bugged, more like flustered and uncoordinated.

I have to confess that I am trying to reach a new level of first world problems, where my problem is not only first world worthy, but it is, literally, no longer even a problem.

Chick-N-Picker and stnmtthw like this.
  16. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Ha. As stated number 3 is a standard thing. 1 is a person answering the question that you specifically asked to them alone. 2 is an issue but I've never seen it done any better. Use a debit card.

Daddy Hojo likes this.
  17. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Well, when I was a cashier, I never did 1,2, or 4. #, however, yes. To verify amounts given or payment method used is pretty typical.

You customers, on the other hand.......................:D

Actually, my only pet peeve with customers would be when people would come in first thing in the morning(when my till was fairly empty), buy two or three small items................and pay with a 100 dollar bill. Like, really?

radiomanjh likes this.
  18. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

I think you are being a bit harsh- I think its good that an employee would take enough ownership to say "If if have one". What I hate is an uninvolved cashier who obviously has no respect for customers, no ownership of the job and no real work ethic-your complaints seem pretty petty to me. Have you ever worked as a cashier?

19. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My, aren't we picky?

blowtorch, bparnell57 and Darkness like this.
  20. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

#2 is real and it sucks. They used to hand you the coins first and wait for you to take the bills.

(Shakes fist and falls back asleep)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Chick-N-Picker and xafinity like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.