rbnalv7

TDPRI Member
I really want an alternative to micing up an amp to record guitar. I'm thinking of getting a multi effects pedal I can use for DI recording. I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6 as my interface into Reaper. I produce mostly ambient, post rock, trip hop kind of stuff.

Now, if I was to use a multi fx into my interface, I would need a DI box wouldn't I? I've tried my old Digitech RP50 (just to see) into my interface and it is barely audible but giving way too much signal.

I was looking at the Zoom G3. Would the XLR output mean I would not have to use a DI box?
Are there any other multi fx with XLR output? I'm aware some of the higher end Boss multi effects do but they're massive. The Zoom's size is awesome.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I run my multieffects processors (GSP1101, Helix, Kemper) straight into my interface without a DI box, you really shouldn't need one with the strong (line level) signals they produce. I'm not sure what you mean by "barely audible but giving way too much signal". Is it peaking the meters in the DAW or interface? What output are you running off of your RP50?

rbnalv7

TDPRI Member
I run my multieffects processors (GSP1101, Helix, Kemper) straight into my interface without a DI box, you really shouldn't need one with the strong (line level) signals they produce. I'm not sure what you mean by "barely audible but giving way too much signal". Is it peaking the meters in the DAW or interface? What output are you running off of your RP50?
theres only one output on the rp50

MrTwang

Friend of Leo's
I have used various multi fx units for direct recording and you definitely don't need a DI box as well. Whatever problem you are having with your RP-50, you will probably have with any other unit.

Are you plugging your RP-50 into the microphone input or the line input? (I'm guessing you're going into the microphone input)

You need to plug it into the line input.

rbnalv7

TDPRI Member
I have used various multi fx units for direct recording and you definitely don't need a DI box as well. Whatever problem you are having with your RP-50, you will probably have with any other unit.

Are you plugging your RP-50 into the microphone input or the line input? (I'm guessing you're going into the microphone input)

You need to plug it into the line input.

i plugged it into the line input and its fine. i've never used them so never considered it. i feel VERY stupid. thankyou :)

MrTwang

Friend of Leo's
i plugged it into the line input and its fine. i've never used them so never considered it. i feel VERY stupid. thankyou :)

Trust me, that will not be the stupidest thing you will do while getting to grips with recording.

The only reason that some of us are able to figure out the answers to some of these questions is because we already did the stupid things first :)

rbnalv7

TDPRI Member
Trust me, that will not be the stupidest thing you will do while getting to grips with recording.

The only reason that some of us are able to figure out the answers to some of these questions is because we already did the stupid things first :)
for me that's insanely dumb haha! now to find a multi effects to replace this digitech - its not the best

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Yeah, I've figured out all kinds of things to NOT do... :oops: