A Farewell Gift

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What a beautiful guitar! I had not seen that one yet... wow. None of us are promised even the next second, so live it up man and play that beauty like there was no tomorrow! Best of luck to you, mate.

fasthand

Tele-Meister
You stated early in your post that you are a 66 year old gentleman
Sir I think your status is a good bit higher
Your strength of character is something we can all aspire to
Thank you friend

Flip G

Tele-Holic
When musician George Cole’s former guitar teacher Jimmy Luttrell ended up in the hospital, Cole grabbed a couple guitars and headed down for a jam session to lift his spirits. Luttrell, 74, has been a guitar instructor and performer for decades, but a battle with cancer took him from the stage to a hospital bed. The old school guitar picker may be in the fight of his life, but his incredible musicianship remains untouched.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Bravo!

I think you absolutely did the right thing with this, it will be inspiring and uplifting.

Best wishes and I hope you have many happy times playing that beauty!

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
I’m finally submitting my first post in years after a long period of lurking and learning from all of you. First, I’m a 66-year-old gentleman who just picked up the guitar about 10 years back. It’s been mostly a progression of blues, rock, and jazz learned from a set of online teachers that I settled on after much experimentation. After many guitar purchases and builds, the stable is comfortably down to a Yamaha SA2200, a 2014 American Standard Strat in Olympic White, and a budget Eastman acoustic. That acoustic came about after I got bit by the Bluegrass bug, and particularly Doc Watson. It’s a sweet-sounding guitar, but I had decided that I would upgrade when I felt worthy. Of course, that decision was based on this forum and all the tasty flatpicking rigs I see every day.

And now to some of life’s painful details. I was diagnosed with late-stage liver cancer a few months ago and have had a tough time of it. Among the setbacks has been an inability to play much guitar, and little desire to do so other than some basic stuff to preserve the calluses. But I’m in a good place, both spiritually and emotionally. It’s been a good life, well lived. However long it may be, I got no complaints. View attachment 940270 View attachment 940271

And now, some good stuff. As mentioned, I planned to reward myself when I became a better acoustic player. I’ve decided to reverse the order. I’ve gone back and forth on lusting over a Martin 00-18 and an Eastman OM40, the top-of-the-line Eastman. I saved links to each guitar and typically spent 15-minute periods comparing and fantasizing about them every day. During today’s session, I came across the Eastman E40OM-TC, Thermo Cured Adirondack, Indian Rosewood, Tone-Tate Neck - New Model. Call me a weak man, but I was smitten. It was simply a matter of how fast I could complete the order before I was assured that the guitar was mine.​

Money is no longer an object, and the treatments are starting to show enough promise that I believe I should be able to dig right in and bond with that masterpiece right away, and maybe even for a few years. Nobody that I know would understand how cathartic this all has been, but I reckon that a lot of you know precisely where I’m coming from.​

Thank you for sharing this story.

In this world full of disappointments and sad stories, your positivity inspires me. I'm praying for you, and I hope we see more of you here once that cancer is gone for good.

and what a great way to celebrate life. a new guitar. Congrats, and dont feel like you settled on an Eastman. I recently purchased an acoustic guitar for gigs.. an affordable but decent one.. however, I did try a bunch to get close to the Gibson J-45.. I was able to find one, and thats what I bought, however, when I tried the Eastman E20SS, it was waaaaay better than the 4500 aud Gibson.. Better note clarity, nicer low end thump, nicer feel, fit and finish, for almost half the cost. Go figure!

Enjoy your new guitar!!

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
It is comforting listening those wise and kind words.
Mucho ánimo.

Lovely Guitar, well done!

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Lovely brilliant guitar - maybe it'll extend your life a good 10 or 15 years.