A drum set is 3 different instruments, at least. So, if your quartet "practices in pairs" ...

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
... that's a lot of work for the drummer!

1) Hi-hat + bass
2) Hi-hat + guitar
3) Hi-hat + (for instance, keyboard)
4) Hi-hat + snare
5) Hi-hat + kick

I think the arithmetic is 5 + 4+ 3+ 2 +1 - whatever. Lots of pairs. IF you consider a drum kit as 3 (minimum) distinct instruments.

But you'd get a real tight band. If the drummer doesn't quit.

Snare + bass, Snare + guitar, Snare + kybd, Snare + kick.
Kick + bass guitar, kick + guitar, kick + snare

etc. You might find what your rhythm problems are, maybe one element is straight up and down eighth notes, conflicting against another element that has a dotted feel.

Or the bass player's unaware he or she makes a percussive noise lifting off the fret at the end of every note.

Innovative ideas might sprout, too :)

If you got a keyboard player with real good independence between left hand and right hand lines, then that's like 2 instruments there.. Especially hear how the left hand alone sounds against only the bass.

This entire post is imaginary. Ponder upon it - or simply dismiss. Class dismissed. As you were.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
You must be a drummer.

Well, ok. It's three really, really easy instruments or one instrument with a long shallow learning curve (easy to start, hard to master). Try singing, playing guitar, and foot percussion at the same time and get back to me!

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
No :) I'm not a drummer - and - I perceive drumming well as being real difficult

Congrats to you on your brain compartments coordination. Hope the foot percussionist doesn't have a squabble with the guitarist over artistic choices!

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
No :) I'm not a drummer - and - I perceive drumming well as being real difficult

Congrats to you on your brain compartments coordination. Hope the foot percussionist doesn't have a squabble with the guitarist over artistic choices!
LOL dude I wish that was me! Ha. Chris Smither, I'm kind of obsessed with him right now.