A Dream Came True! - My Very Special First!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingtele, May 16, 2017.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

A lot of you may have read about this here!

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/im-about-to-pull-the-trigger.728255/

It's always been a dream of mine to have a US-Fender. Whatever it is. I've always been able to afford MiM's, Squiers and even assembled partscasters. And I had a surprising opportunity to play and be able to have one of these!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new American Professional Telecaster!

[​IMG]

Now here's my thoughts: This thing is lightweight. 2pc alder body with nice grains. I've always loved straight grain pattern lines. And It almost weighs as little as my thinline partscaster but only a little bit more being a solid body. Its balanced well and doesnt neck dive. Which is great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing I noticed though was. Its not that much of a step up from the Baja I used to own. I know that Baja and other classic models are the top MiM's, but it feels like the Baja is just as good as this, quality-wise and sound-wise. Different feel for sure. But my Baja was a boat anchor.

Dont get me wrong this one feels solid and really well built and I can really feel that american quality, it feels like its built with quality in mind. Slightly rolled edges, fret work, fit and finish. All great! But if you're coming from a MiM Std, then the AmPro is really a few steps ahead of the game. Lighter, better looking, quality wood. One of the good ones I've ever tried.

The neck is really nice. Not that much of a difference from a modern C. It starts slim and then kind of gets fuller, but not that much. There is meat, but if you're looking for that big ole porterhouse steak meat, it is not. I like it anyway. Better than nothing. I would love to have the Baja thickness though. I also wanted a rosewood board because i really love the 60's look and have plans on changing the brass ones to steel threaded saddles, but the ones I tried were kind of meh. It doesnt feel as alive or whatever. It didnt speak to me. So. But This one sang. I guess I have another reason to get a 60's tele with double binding. Haha. Maple is great though. Snap and twang all day.

The hardware feels nice. Bridge and saddles gives off that tele twang. Not sure about the string angle. It feels like it's a 90deg break angle. Not sure how that will translate to intonation, playability or something. I dont have the knowledge to assess that yet. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Treble bleed is nice to have. Pickups have great tone and voicing and very responsive. I dont usually like the neck pickup. 99.9% of the time I want to pull out the neck pickup in my tele's as Im not on it anyway but this one is okay. Maybe a little bit of height adjustment, I'm gonna get there. Though I dont have a basis, a song or a tone in my head to replicate what a good tele neck pickup should sound like. Any suggestions/ideas?

Took off that super light strings that feels as spaghetti-like as the Fender logo, and changed it with 11's. Better. Feels like its going to fight me. It better should.

[​IMG]

No adjustments whatsover. Neck is straight, no buzz, intonation is spot on with 11's, checked string action, and the saddle radius. Great, no need to turn a screw or anything. Nice set up! Its actually weird not to do any set up on a new guitar. Well, maybe in a few days i'll mess with it when it's all settled.

[​IMG]

Only a few gripes. The neck is sooo pale white. I want to put shoe polish on it so badly but what heck, its new, its my first us-fender, I'll just play with it and hope it turns vintage amber. Feels nice, but it looks okay, I can live with it, but I really want that tint the Classic Vibe has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I really hate these modern staggered tuners. I have acquired a technique from a friend of mine on how to string with a vintage tuner, cutting lengths and all. It doesnt work with the modern tuners. And I have less tuner pole heights to turn around on. I have pricked my fingers thrice as i was re-stringing. These modern tuners will have to go asap.

So there. I hope you enjoyed reading on my thoughts about the guitar. Its lovely, with an awesome feel and tone. Its definitely a great guitar to play straight as stock. Really well built and thought of.

[​IMG]

2. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congratulations - it's a great looking telecaster!
    (I would be perfectly happy with that neck colour...)

fender68 and dreamingtele like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

4. dreamingtele

Thank you so much!

The MIM Standard neck I have in my thinline partscaster is yellowing nicely without any mods done.. I guess it's just playing and playing and playing!

5. horax

horax Tele-Holic

awesome!

I wanted one of those but went with a G&L ASAT Special.
    Kind of wish I had just gotten teh Am Pro!

Nice Score!

mc84, fender68 and dreamingtele like this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I played an American Professional recently - really nice playing guitar. I agree about the Baja comment - just a bit better. I did not plug it in to see what the pickups sound like, but it felt good and responded well in the hands.

dreamingtele likes this.
  7. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Nice man! It's a great feeling to finally get something you've wanted, and worked for, for a long time. Congrats!

8. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations and that was a very thorough analysis of your impressions. Nice job.

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'
    Sweet, Sweet, Sweeeet!

I too am a big Sunburst fan, so...

WELL DONE!

'

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  10. bob mason

bob mason TDPRI Member

Congrats, HNGD

dreamingtele likes this.
  11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow ~ that is a beautiful world class Telecaster :) Congratulations !!!

fender68 likes this.
  12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Happy new guitar day!

13. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Ka-sweet! Now that's what I call a Fender Bender!
    Crank it up!

14. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Congrats! I think the am pros are a step up from the am stds they replaced. I feel like the Baja and other top end MiMs had actually surpassed the am std and the am pro got the American line back in its place.

Regarding the break angle you asked about, the only real impact is tone and feel. It won't impact intonation. Tone wise, arguably, a sharper break angle provides a little more sustain and a little less snap. But this is very arguable and subtle at most. Feel wise, it will give a bit stiffer feel. Like maybe the equivalent of a 1/4 string gauge. So, for example 11s will feel like a theoretical 11.25 string or something. It's not as big of a difference as between 10s and 10.5s, but is noticeable, so that's where I came up with the .25. With that break angle you might try a set of 10.5s and see how they fit you.

I couldn't get along with the break angle, personally. It made 10s too stiff, but 9s were still too loose. But that was just me and ***MY*** preference. I know a lot of people who always wanted something between 9s and 10s or 10s and 11s that will love this "in between" feel.

My main point is try a few different string gauges because it will feel a bit different and you might have a different preference compared to your other guitars.

15. dreamingtele

I am not alone!! When I owned the Baja, I figured that whatever MIA ones can improve on, it must be really that much better. And That excited me to get my hands on an American made one. Im not disappointed on anything. In fact I am happy that I was able to get as close as I can to these MIA ones with the Baja. And now I have one, I know what league these guitars are.

fender68 likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

It was a very very very long time my friend. I thought Id never own one. Thank you!

fender68 likes this.
  17. dreamingtele

Thank you so much sir. I try to help as much as I can

18. dreamingtele

again, I'm not alone in my impressions about top MiM models and these. I feel validated. Hahahaha. Just kidding. But i see your point and its a good one.

Thank you for explaining the break angles and all. Now I know and I thought it was an inferior setup than the vintage bridge and saddle setup.

I actually like a stiffer feel. Ive been a long time 10's user and I felt that its not giving me that fight, that snap I want on my guitars. Moved up and never looked back. If this will give me an in-between 11's and 12's. Then its so much better. I was actually thinking of going up one gauge and see how it is. But I dont want to ruin the set up on all my guitars which I did on my own and had so much time spent dialing everything in.

19. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Yeah, then it sounds like the break angle may actually be better for you. There is no "perfect" break angle, it's just what balance between snap, sustain and "tightness" you want. People tend to think that the traditional break angle is superior, but that's just because their standard for what's right is... the traditional break angle. Essentially there's a large group of Tele players who view any deviation from Leo's 1952 design as a mistake. (Well, except changing to an electrosocket, everybody agrees on that).

Also, if you want the fretboard to darken, then don't wipe it down after playing, leave it out rather than in its case and clean it with a very light cleaning oil every few weeks. I know that goes against the "wipe it down with a microfiber cloth and give it a smooch before putting it back in its case" advice you generally get here. But if you want maple to darken the recipe is: sweat, oil and exposure. The downside is this will deaden your strings faster if you use uncoated strings.

20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It would seem reasonable that more downward force would produce a measurable increase in positive string-to-body vibrational "coupling" which might translate into an improved overtone transfer from the body back to the strings, thus, a more likely possibility that these overtones could be theoretically heard by the pickups (in various degrees) which, ultimately, may or may not lead to an arguably more delicious tone...

...of course ymmv...

I changed the neck pickups on two of my Teles earlier this year. Here are the threads I submitted:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-nocaster-neck-pickup-review.697940/

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-pure-vintage-64-pickup-review-neck-pickup.704909/

I'm not suggesting you change your pickup, but maybe this will give you some ideas on what to look for, tone wise...

You can, of course, do what you want, but I'd think twice about doing anything "irreversible" on you nice new guitar... you may regret it later...

Good Luck!

'

Last edited: May 16, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.