1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A different way of looking at a Fender Road Worn Tele & the AVRI 52/AV '52/Les Paul '59 Reissue/etc.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I hope no one (especially Joe :) ), will think this Thread is too controversial to exist, so allow me a quick opening statement about my intentions.

This Thread is NOT, I repeat, NOT about a Road Worn '50s Telecaster, it's NOT about whether you think it's fake/cheating/whatever, it's NOT about what you think of its neck/playability/looks/etc, and it's NOT about whether any of you love or hate ANY Relic guitar, so please NO ONE, please don't go there, as I know Joe (or any other site Moderator) will stop my Topic :)

Okay, so..................................................................................................................

If the reason so many members dislike any relic guitar is because as many have stated, the wear is fake, it's not "honest", it's trying to pass as something it's not, etc.

Then, and here is the point of my Thread.....................................................................

Why is an AVRI '52/AV '52/Les Paul '59 Reissue/any Nash Guitars/etc. not just as guilty?

No matter what any of your I'm sure passionate explanations will be, at the end of the day, aren't ALL of them trying to be something they really aren't as well?

2. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I just don't get buying new things that are made to look beat up. When I buy jeans I want new ones not ones with holes. A reissue is different, yes it's trying to copy a vintage guitar as far as specs, sound, looks but not trying to look beat up.

However, different folks like different things. Nothing to get upset about.

I guess one benefit is that when you ding it you don't feel bad.

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi KS6V!

My Thread is actually more about the AVRI '52/AV '52/Les Paul '59 Reissue/any Nash Guitars/etc., than a guitars cosmetic condition, but as I said, at the end of the day, aren't ALL of them trying to be something they really aren't as well?

I contend that ALL of them are trying to copy something that they really aren't, and that is my point :)

Jerry

PS
    Since you brought it up, the newer Road Worns have no more/less wear/aging/beat up look than the Les Paul Reissue has.

But again, that has nothing to do with the common theme of that all the aforementioned guitars are trying to copy something that they aren't :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    KS6V likes this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Just as far as Fender's AV/AVRI line is concerned, I don't think they are trying to be something that they aren't. They are just offering vintage speced instruments that let today's players experience the feel, sound, and performance of a different era.
    That's all I ever expected when I went shopping for mine.

5. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I like what I like and it doesn't bother me if people like other types guitars. In fact I'm happy for them cause who else is gonna play those billions of guitars I am not in a position to purchase.

Digiplay and 39martind18 like this.
  6. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Some folk, me included, like the spec, feel and sound of the vintage instruments. If they didn't make reissues I'd have to fork out thousands for the genuine article.

Fender make them because there is a demand and I for one thank them for it.

7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi LOSTVENTURE!

Please note that I'm not disagreeing that ANY guitar that ANY guitar player wants to buy for whatever reason is anyones business except to the one buying the guitar :)

As far as your comments, I ask you:
    1) The newer AV 52's are not truly vintage speced are they?
    2) Is Fender offering the Road Worn Series to let today's players experience the feel, sound, performance (as well as their opinion as far as looks) of a different era as well?

Thanks for your input!
    Jerry

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I believe that line of thought, which I agree with 100% Cesspit, ESPECIALLY the forking out thousands part, applies equally to both the Reisuue and Road Worn Series :)

9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

REAL, FAKE, REAL, FAKE, REAL, FAKE, REAL, FAKE, REAL, FAKE, bla bla bla,
    no offence I thought what was being dealt with here was musical instrument mostly ,teles?
    There is an aspect that gets into marketing ,resale, value, imho all of that is business .
    The business of owning and selling ,reselling, collecting, authenticity, history.

I buy a guitar a telecaster play it really love it bond with it love the tone and sustain the neck is perfect. It's a great musical instrument. without regard to whether it's real or counterfeit it's a great guitar. End of story.

cartman mind blown edit1.png

cat dude, KS6V, cbnutt and 1 other person like this.
  10. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I completely agree with you ping-ping-clicka, and that's why I said:

ANY guitar that ANY guitar player wants to buy for whatever reason is no ones business except to the one buying the guitar :)

cat dude and KS6V like this.
  11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

A reissue as the ones you listed mimics the specs of a vintage guitar, while a relic finish mimics the wear.

Specs are a given; wear is a potential. That are fundamentally different things.
    Wether you like one, the other or both is cool.

I like both. Relic’ing obviously gets a lot of beating :)rolleyes:) from some, but I also know many that do not like vintage spec instruments because they do not get the idea of using older designs when modern ones, which they see as more efficient (like double action truss rods for instance), are available today.

John C, RadioFM74 and gitold like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I don't know why anyone finds relic a mystery. Most denim now comes with a prewashed look instead of dark indigo. We all prefer broken in shoes

If people want a guitar that looks and feels like Bruce Springsteen played it at a million gigs, why shouldn't someone somewhere make them and sell them? Isn't that FREEDOM?

Mad Kiwi, KS6V, cbnutt and 1 other person like this.
  13. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Do any of you relic haters buy pre-washed jeans or distressed leather products?

tamer_of_banthas and Fender-guy like this.
  14. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I recently wanted a Japanese made Gretsch. I could choose between the players addition or a vintage select and with out any hesitation I bought a vintage select with its goofy bridge, zero fret, mud switch and chunky neck heel. I just wanted a new version of a old design and I really don’t know why that appeals to me but it does. I would not have wanted it reliced at all.Guitar players are strange folks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    EsquireBoy likes this.
  15. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

I guess a reissue is a replica of a guitar from a specific period of time.

A relic is a replica of how a guitar has been used, even though it hasn’t been used that way which some people see as not authentic.

Personally I just see relics as a finishing option, I like guitars in all there forms. Options and choice are a good thing!

KS6V and NewKid like this.
  16. quackzilla

quackzilla TDPRI Member

I like vintage Kluson style tuners and heel adjust truss rods. Finish (nitro, poly) gets less important to me as time goes on though....wonderful thing about the Classic Player series.

I guess as long as its vintage style tuners and heel adjust truss rod I'm potentially in, regardless of other appointments.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The premise of this thread is too convoluted for me to care to digest and address in detail. Seems a tortured false equivalency.

To me a closer equivalency might be: if a relic is inauthentic because the wear is not yours, isn’t a worn vintage you buy that way also inauthentic for the same reasons? The wear in each case originated elsewhere from the new owner.

18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think vintage specs and a relic finish are the same thing.

They are both new guitars but one AV 52 feels new and the Road Worn feels used.

I had a 50s Road Worn Tele and I loved it except for the modern C neck. If they made it with the U neck I would get another one. Maybe.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

A) no matter how many premises and safeguards you state at the beginning … this thread is going to go South in a matter of a couple of pages, and become the n-th unnecessary outlet for relic-hating.
    B) I think that @EsquireBoy and @Martocaster gave well reasoned answers to your question. I also like @MilwMark 's thinking.
    C) For me, I happen to like the sound, looks, and playing experience of "old-style" strats & teles way more than I like instruments built around the specs that emerged in the 80s. I am under no illusion that my guitars are from the 50s and 60s, and I am trying to fool no-one that they are. These are just the guitars I like, and I am happy that Fender offered them for long enough that there is a rich used market at affordable prices. Of course, you may very well apply the same line of thought to Road Worns. I have strictly nothing to object.

If you refer to the American Originals, you're right. if you refer to the last American Vintage (2012-17), they were advertised as absolutely faithful to the old guitars. Of course, there is not such thing as a rigid "vintage spec". If you read Nacho's blackguard book, you'll learn that fretboard radii and neck profiles varied quite significantly from one instrument to the next, within certain general parameters. So saying that 7'25'' is "vintage accurate" and 9'5'' is not is to an extent a convention that we accept, although yes of course the old Fenders mostly had nice curvy fretboards.

20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

As one of my favorite songwriters put it, "tattoos and scars are different things."

So what?

EsquireBoy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.