1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Dead Tune That Moved You In Some Way

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I agree with most here, but have to differ with you on the importance of the GD songs, and especially the Garcia/Hunter songs. The GD songs are deep and wide, both melodically and lyrically, and provide the perfect canvass for the instrumental improvisation we love so much.

Bobbyoso and Ben-Zion like this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I never saw them live, I was 18 when Jerry Garcia died. In HS or college I bought one of their greatest hits CDs just cause I felt like I needed to try.

That was just studio versions of the standard stuff. Casey Jones, Friend of the Devil, Touch of Gray, Uncle John's band.

Since I started playing guitar I have way more interest. My guitar teacher had gone on a grateful dead quest learning tons and tons of their stuff so he's happy to teach me dead stuff.

I could play the rhythms from Bertha and Franklin's tower all day long. Lately I've been learning Althea and Sugaree as well.

Last month my teacher sent me a 60 bar tab of a Jerry solo he transcribed. I worked on a little bit of and got back to him with a "yah right" on memorizing it which was totally cool. I need to practice more of it to keep picking up on Jerry's tricks though.

In 2018 I tried to get my brother to see D&C with me and he wasn't sure.. when things get back to normal I'm totally going though. John Mayer seemed to really get in the groove last year.

One day I went for a walk in the woods and listened to a whole show on my headphones. That was amazing.

3. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

I remember my buddy blasting "Estimated Prophet" while were on our way down to Oceanside to jump on a boat to go tuna fishing more than 30 years ago. So many memories tied up in the few hours leading up to that trip, as well as the next few days as one trip turned into another. That song just has a special place for me because of that association, always turn it up when I hear it.

Chip and Ben-Zion like this.
  4. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

This one always gets to me. It’s in the regular rotation in the group I play with and I usually sing it and take some leads as well. So many good lines, Robert Hunter was a great lyricist...”All the years combine, they melt into a dream, a broken angel sings, from a guitar...In the end there’s just a song, comes crying like the wind, through all the broken dreams and vanished years...Dust off those rusty strings just one more time, gonna make em shine!” I just love it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Bobbyoso, Ben-Zion and Fret Wilkes like this.
  5. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso TDPRI Member

I grew up in NYC, guitar playing kid who was 15 the first time I saw the Dead, at the Cafe Au Go Go in 67, if memory serves. NYC was their second home, and I lived on a steady diet of Cream, Hendrix, and lots of jazz guys-but the Dead were easily my favorite, once Hendix left us.

I still remember weeks living in the Fillmore East, when Pigpen was still kicking, and to the point of this thread, there are virtually NO Dead tunes that don't move me, far more than Dylan, Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, or any of the other genius latter-day bards/songwriters. I was probably 18 when I heard "Brokedown", "Attics", "High Time" etc., and I remember thinking "how the hell does Robert Hunter (who may have been all of 27 or so) have the life experience to write ANYTHING like this?". At 68 today, I am even more amazed at the poetry. And Jerry's melodies and harmonic structures were equally as brilliant, compositionally.

I always thought Weir and Lesh made that band much more interesting than the std "lead wankery over a predictable rote 4-chord progression, rehearsed to numbing consistency" so prevalent.

IMO, Weir and Barlow, while perhaps a bit more oblique and possibly not as accessible to the casual listener, are tied with Garcia/Hunter for first place in my mind for best songwiting duo, ever. And are unparalleled at writing really catchy odd-meter tunes, to boot.

The only Dead songs I didn't particularly care for were a few of Brent's, one of Keith's, and the more predictable, saccharine tunes ("Here Comes Sunshine" and very few others).

The question still remains, to me--HTH do you write songs like "So Many Roads", "Ripple", "Black Muddy River", and literally a hundred others while still a young man? That's sustained, unparalleled genius, IMO, and while there are many aspects of my life that have been ambiguous in terms of cost/benefit, the connection with the Dead's music has always brought me unalloyed joy, as well as lots of cherished, albeit fuzzy, memories.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They pretty much all move me to find something else to listen to. Maybe Friend of the Devil

7. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Then why even bother to post? Just move on to a different thread.

8. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I agree there are lots of great songs, some from every era. In addition to many albums albums and live shows, I have a playlist of 120 songs on my phone. And I'd say that the string of albums from 1970s Workingman's Dead to 1973's Wake of the Flood, including Bobby and Jerry's solo work from that time period, was full of brilliant songs.

But I think people "get it" or not based on their reaction or response to attending a concert. YMMV

9. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

upload_2020-9-12_20-24-0.jpeg

10. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always liked the combination of China Cat Sunflower and I Know You Rider and the transition between them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Slap Axe and PastorJay like this.
  12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I'll admit that, to my taste, China Cat is at best some amusing or perhaps confusing word salad.

But the fact that it so often leads into Rider makes me happy whenever I hear it.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pretty much always, I always thought.

We saw Steve Earle and the Dukes open the LSD Tour stop in San Francisco with I Know You Rider a couple-three years ago, in honor of the day, August 1, being Jerry Garcia's birthday. It was cool, and inspired me to work up a version for myself (nobody else will probably ever hear it, but I like it a lot).

Doing that, I looked up the song to see who wrote it. Author unknown, apparently. There was only a story about a woman on death row somewhere, singing it before she was executed. It wasn't clear whether "Rider" was her boyfriend, her victim, or both.

I love how often the Dead dipped into folk and country music, and still got to be acid rockers. @PastorJay, I agree with you about China Cat Sunflower, but I like it anyway. Dang Hippies.

PastorJay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.