1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Dead Tune That Moved You In Some Way

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

Too many to list, but So Many Roads had a big impact on me as a kid. Lot of time thinking about this song.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

Box of Rain

highgreenchilly, Viejo, Dan R and 4 others like this.
  3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

their cover of "Good Morning Little School Girl" I was blown away with how close to Jr. Wells Pigpen could sound.

Greggorios and Stanford Guitar like this.
  4. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Unbroken Chain always captures my imagination.

5. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

So so many.. lately its been Morning Dew. Thank you Jerry

Ben-Zion, Greggorios, scook and 2 others like this.
  6. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Shakedown Street with that funky guitar!

Greggorios likes this.
  7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Always found this one poignant.

8. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Just about every Jerry song and a few Bobby songs.

9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

If I had to narrow it down to a few.....

On tour, usually towards the end when you're tired and running out of money, and especially when you are across the country thousands of miles from home, I've always been comforted by hearing Brokedown Palace to close the show. Recently, with the events of our crazy times, I've told my good friend that if the virus takes me, I want him to play this one at my memorial service.

Its funny, I like Bobby a whole lot more now than I did back in the day. But even then, I never got tired of hearing Looks Like Rain.

No one could ever argue that Brent lacked emotion when he sang. I Will Take You Home and Blow Away were always powerful.

By asking what songs moved you in some way, it opens the door to practically every one of their songs. Some songs moved me in a happy, jubilant way, others in a more pensive introspective way.

In the end, both Robert Hunter and John Barlow were both pretty brilliant lyricists.

10. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

it must have been the roses<iframe width="675" height="506" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ben-Zion and Greggorios like this.
  11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

12. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

I guess for me it would be Eyes of the World, they even played it on one of the few occasions that I saw them, must have been Foxboro, '89 or '90.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  13. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Too many to list and it depends on the given day/year. Sometimes it is the music itself without regard to the lyrics, and sometimes not even played by the Dead itself. But it’s almost always recordings of live performances as the crowd can add so much to feeling like you’re there.

Take, for example, the live version of Althea by Joe Russo’s Almost Dead (JRAD) from the 12-27-2013 Port Chester, NY show. That’s been a recent favorite that has moved me.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oh and another example (sorry!), Citi Field, NY 2019 Dead & Co., Morning Dew.

Sung by Bobby, with John Mayer playing Jerry’s Wolf guitar. So powerful. We’re lucky to have Bobby with us still.

joealso, Greggorios and Chip like this.
  15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

These two leapt to mind!

eddiewagner and Greggorios like this.
  16. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

Franklin's Tower

Greggorios, Bellacaster and dogmeat like this.
  17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I like Bird Song.

Funny thing, when I was growing up the GD were a local band (I lived about 20 miles due east of San Francisco) and in high school EVERYBODY (well, a lot of people) just loved them and had rose stickers on their Pee-Chee folders and tie died batik scarves and moccasins and those were the guys! ;) So for whatever reason I sort of rejected the Dead. Also I went to see them at Winterland in 1977 and MAN did they take a lot of really long breaks. Like after playing for 45 minutes they went offstage for 30 minutes. And they farted around for 10 minutes between each song. I didn't even stick around for the whole thing. Everyone always said "their shows are 4 hours long"... and now I knew why. They were backstage during half of it!

Keep in mind I was a Frank Zappa snob. I'd seen Frank in late 75 at Winterland... show was probably 1.5 or two hours but he generally didn't take any break at all between songs. WHAM! That's the way to do it. Meanwhile at the Dead show, people start playing volleyball during the break like "this happens all the time". I saw the Dead 4 or 5 more times over the years but never really described myself as a fan.

But in the past few weeks I've been checking out some YT videos from 89, 90, 74... WOW 1974, Jerry actually looks young and sounds great and his playing is quite ripping at times, even if he does play those "special" notes occasionally. Bob Weir? I seem to like his singing more than a lot of people. His guitar playing is pretty cool - he's not just chopping barre chords. In fact I can barely figure out what he is doing. Phil Lesh? What IS that guy doing? It almost looks like he plays the same thing on every tune but that's probably not true.

Yeah, they still have a sort of lightweight, rag tag sound - not even close to Hendrix or Zeppelin or the Who. But now I LIKE them? I never saw that coming.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

All of them. Made me run for the hills ;)

Bella, teletimetx and swervinbob like this.
  19. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Brokedown palace.

Dan R, suave eddie, joealso and 3 others like this.
  20. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Not a big Dead fan, but I always liked this one. It’s been in my repertoire since the mid 1980s.

Dan R, PastorJay, hollowman and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.