A custom build for my 60th

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Tomm Williams, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

C79E35A9-4E9E-42EC-ACF3-63D418698A71.jpeg 13C1D0F0-0104-48CD-AA73-D49D85C45140.jpeg FAD7F743-96BA-482D-9B31-84E08736CD38.jpeg 2D6CF322-4CEF-4A1A-97A0-35BCC6C94CC2.jpeg 60 is quickly approaching and my gf wanted to do something special so asked if I’d be interested in getting a custom acoustic built:D

SAY WHAT???????:eek:

She’s had a front row seat at me trading one guitar for another on that quest to find the one that finally fits the bill. I’ve found a couple I’m finally happy with but the thought of one built just for me was too good to pass up.
    The luthier is Mark Garza of Garz Guitars not far out of Reno. He’s repaired numerous guitars for me over the years and I’ve seen dozens of his builds but found them beyond my price range. Apparently my price range just got a kick in the pants so we discussed the guitar tonight and I told him I had a few requirements

Gibson scale length
    Tone not as dark as Martin but not as bright as Taylor ( yes I know that’s vague)
    Taylor neck profile (love their necks)
    Cutaway
    Electronics
    And the rest I would leave up to him.

Mark has an interesting rail system for mounting his necks that allows the user to loosen and then slide the neck up and down to achieve any action level desired. No more neck resets, just adjust the neck up a touch and retighten it. I’ve developed a bit of a problem with my fretting hand that makes your “average “ acoustic action hard to play. This allows me to adjust to suite my needs easily.

We talked woods for the tone I’m after and he suggested Mahogany back, sides and neck, Spruce top, rosewood fretboard and maple binding. The body design (pics) is sort of a hybrid jumbo-concert? He also offers a unique saddle system the offers individually intonated string saddles that you can see in one of the photos.
    My birthday is in September, he said it would take about that long to build it. The pics are of a previous build that will be very similar.

Yes, I have a great gf:D

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

congrats on with this beautiful present.
    i see a bridge saddle construction i have never seen and promises great intonation

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You are fortunate to have such a woman in your life.

Tomm Williams likes this.
  4. Sybo

Sybo TDPRI Member

Following

5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Nice! Good luck! Cool looking guitar in the photos. Martin just announced a very similar-sounding neck joint system at winter NAMM...hopefully your luthier didn’t get nicked! Would be helpful either way, especially with whatever ails you. And the sound porting is cool too...is that a standard feature of his?

6. Tomm Williams

I don’t believe ports are standard for him, just something added at customer request I think. And not sure if the neck rail idea was his own but he started using it over 15 years ago.

7. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations, what a great adventure.

What body size are you talking about, sorry if I missed it? As I get older smaller bodies are more appealing and the need for volume isn't as important. It may not fit you but the 00 size has become a favorite of mine.

8. Tomm Williams

The body size is custom to Mark and the best I can describe it is a compact jumbo? I'm not really sure what you'd call it. Take a look at the pics and see what your take would be?

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I'll be looking forward to wishing you a happy birthday in September.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ultra cool!

11. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

The body shape and size remind me of Taylors Grand Symphony.

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Wow, lots going on in those photos.

Love the bridge, not sure why more acoustic makers have not looked at doing something like this.
    Love the port holes that are on the upper bout, I played a guitar once with those and blown away at how much louder the guitar sounded.
    Love that floating neck and it looks like you picked up a couple of frets also, that cutaway is so slight and flows with the guitars I had to look twice to see if it had one.
    Love that cutaway at the forearm rest area. That is really cool and something on thick guitars that I wish they would all have.
    Love that binding as well, in one picture it almost looks like "purplewood" and then it looks almost black in other shots.

can you tell that I love, love, love, love, love that guitar? :)

13. Tomm Williams

It was kind of subtle but I thought that’s what you meant:p

Preacher likes this.
  14. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks to be a spectacular guitar. Congrats!

Cheers,
    Geoff

15. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Very nice!

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wowzers!

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats.

Body shape does look a little like Gibson CJ-165, a smaller body, but similar shape to the Gibson jumbo. The CJ-165 is not a cutaway though.

a 15yr old CJ-165:

1E5A7252-E422-4796-964C-6CDC3135A929.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.