1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Couple of Neck Questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by johmica, Oct 17, 2020.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I'm planning a lefty '72 custom build, and I have a couple of questions about the neck I intend to order from Musikraft. I intend to have the neck finished by MJT, but it'll probably be January or so before I place the order (I recently bought the pickups and all of the hardware, and I'm trying to space out the expenditures), and I don't want to pester MJT with specifics on an order that they won't receive for another couple of months. So I thought that I'd just ask you guys.

1) I'm getting a quartersawn maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. I would like to get the neck roasted, because I like how the process brings out the grain, but I want to make sure that the roasting process won't affect the nitro finish that will eventually be applied by MJT. I don't want to leave the neck raw, so my first question is: Is roasting/nitro an either/or proposition, or do they work together just fine?

2) Musikraft offers a service where they oil the fretboard for you. If I have the oil applied to the rosewood fretboard, will that negatively affect MJT's ability to apply nitro to the maple?

As these questions reveal, I'm sure, I don't know ANYTHING about the finishing process, so any guidance that you guys have to offer is greatly appreciated.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I have never roasted or worked with a roasted maple neck, but I can't see any reason that it woudn't finish just fine with lacquer. MJT should know and advise you if there are potential problems. One minor thing to remember is that in an interview Ken Warmoth said that roasted necks have a greater tendency to split at the tuner holes unless the end user properly reams the holes before installing the tuners. Warmoth includes specific instructions with their necks, I assume MJT does also

People debate all the time about oiling rosewood fretboards. I don't do it for several reasons - one that it does make it more difficult (for me at least) to apply finishes - I don't want any kind of oil, wax, grease, silicon or anything else when I'm spraying lacquer. Oils can also affect my ability to fret a board, in fact I don't do refrets on boards that have been heavily oiled.

As a foot note to the oil question, Martin use to specifically recommend NOT putting lemon oil on fretboards because they say it can affect nitrocellulose lacquer. One more reason I don''t do it.

You will get a lot of other advice different than mine, good luck with your build.

crazydave911 and johmica like this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Here's the ultimate solution. order the neck and body from Mark, he makes as fine a body and neck as anyone.. that way he's in complete control all the way through..

r

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Deeve likes this.
  4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

If you want to oil the fretboard just do it after you have the guitar together. It takes 5 minutes. Freeman is totally correct about having oil around the raw wood.

I've sprayed a few roasted maple necks and they are fine. Have you heard something different?

crazydave911 and johmica like this.
  5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After using nitro a while, it’s easy to see why most guitar makers use poly. It’s easier to apply and far more durable on a neck. But, if you like wear marks, use nitro. Just my $.02.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Keep in mind that "poly" may refer to polyurethane or to polyester. The latter is much, much more durable than the former, but requires more attention to safety to apply. The former is what you find in the local box store.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.