A Couple Nice Guitars vs. A Lot of Okay Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 6String69, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I'm sitting at 21 guitars and basses... Leaning towards selling a few off and buying a nice high-quality Gretsch and maybe a synth.

I have a handful of 'never-sells' but there are a few others that I could definitely let go, but it is difficult.

2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Option #3. I own a mix of both. I have a Squier, a couple of Washburns, a Seagull, an early ‘80s Hamer, a Tacoma, several MIM Teles, three Rics (620, 360, and 4003), and a Martin 000-18. Fifteen total, although I plan on selling about five to eight. I’ve also had two US Strats, a US P-Bass, a Gibson Les Paul Custom, an EB-1 violin short scale bass, and a worn SG (I really miss one of the US Strats, but it went towards the 620). Some are dream guitars, some have sentimental value, and some are beer farts (alcohol induced GAS).

I don’t have kids, a bike, or go on vacations (I was a roadie and my family lives out of state). The 360 is that trip to London I’m not going on anytime soon. The 4003 is the weekend in Hawaii.

That said, my favorite hands down is still my heavily modified ‘91 MIM Tele. I got it brand new, sold it, really regretted it, and bought it back with my first paycheck. It just feels natural and gets most of the sounds I’m going for. With the upgrades I’ve done, it holds its own. It’s the only one I won’t sell or let anyone else use anymore.

3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Umm...more guitars. =)

But seriously, I've got around 12-15 guitars. I think a supremely well-rounded guitarsenal could have 3 dozen guitars without being redundant. More than 50? That seems more like a collection or a personal guitar museum... and is also very cool.

In terms of quality of the gear. I like having gear at all levels of the spectrum. I've got 2-3 cheap "house guitars" that I don't play at gigs. I like to keep them at arms reach at all times, so they don't get humidified in the winter. Then I got a bunch of mid-grade guitars that are gig worthy, but I wouldn't be devastated if they were broken or stolen. Then I got 2-3 really nice ones that never leave my sight at a venue. I cherish those puppies like light-sabers.

hellopike and Vognell like this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

2-3 really special keepers, then a gaggle to cycle through, trade, loan, sell...just for fun. That seems like the sweet spot.

Vognell, lineboat and EspyHop like this.
  5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I feel good with all of my mid-to-very good guitars. I don't look at price, I tend to prefer play-ability and/or sound.
    So I am more than happy with my PV52 and PV 64 teles, the classic series 60s tele, the squier VM 72 custome tele and (hopefully) the next one, the squier esquire.
    I also own two nice mid priced acoustics that are way above their price point (all solid wood, bone nut etc.) plus a classic series 50s strat and a squier jagmaster. I am thinking of letting the strat and jag go because of financial reasons but that is another story.

6. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a couple of nice, USA Teles, and a Rickenbacker, that are my main go to guitars for gigging, but I also have several partscaster and highly modified low Enders that I’m just as confident using on stage. The rest are vintage and modern odd balls that I keep around for recording or for some specific sound.

7. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Exactly. I'm retired and can afford expensive guitars, but choose jot to. I have one, a custom made LP by a guy that made guitars for the Beatles and others. Is it 10 times better than my two Agiles? Nope. I have a 2011 MIM 60th Anniversary Fender Tele that's not as good as my modded Swamp Ash SX Furrian. I don't play golf. I can buy a nice guitar for what a round of golf at a nice club course would cost and after the round of golf is over, it's over. I've still got the guitar hanging on my wall. That's what makes me happy. I doubt very much I'll be on my death bed thinking that I shouldn't have bought so many guitars. I think I'm at 18 now and am closed to being gassed out. Maybe a Jazzmaster sometime and those Firefly 338's for $139 look like a good deal.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    hellopike likes this.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

but...two is fewer than four....

Muddslide likes this.
  9. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I do the same, but all of my keepers are used. I don’t want some high end expensive piece I’m afraid to scratch or drop.

hellopike likes this.
  10. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

After about 40+ years of buying/selling/trading guitars, I (finally) have the 4 I need to cover anything I might want to do, and my collecting days are behind me. I'm on Social Security now, and can't afford to collect anymore. Anyway, My stable consists of a Tele partscaster that sounds/plays amazing, a 2016 Les Paul Standard T, a 2017 SG standard that sounds amazing, and a Guild S-200 T-bird reissue. Oh, I do have a Taylor 210e DLX SB for my acoustic needs. I have 2 combo amps, a Marshall DSL40C, and a Fender Tweed '65 BF PRRI w/12" C-Rex speaker. All I need from now on!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  11. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I have one custom built hss tellie and a Fender american standard hss strat as a backup which is important for me as a gigging musician. Nothing more, my custom built tellie got all the experiences of 35 years playing guitar with a lot of different models. So I own the best possible guitar (for my needs) and one very good backup. I´m happy and totally free from looking anywhere else :).

The same thing I did a few weeks ago with acoustics. I bought a fantastic Maestro Raffles which suites perfect for my needs.

Ampwise it´s the same. The perfect Captain Amps Tweed Super with 2x10 speakers and the little VOX MV50 as a backup.

12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m a tinkerer and a modder. If I only had one I’d have likely got to the point of taking a reciprocating saw to it for “weight relief” :eek:

hellopike likes this.
  13. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Agreed. You can pretty much play any style on any guitar, but different guitars feel, sound, and respond in their own unique way that may "fit" a particular style a little better. One is all you need, but more can be fun.

14. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

100%. You are absolutely right.

There is no "right or wrong" to any of this...it's just individual, personal interests, tastes, directions, abilities and aims.

hellopike likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I enjoy having a lot of guitars...I have around 20...not sure exactly...I also enjoy simplicity. Eventually, I'll get back down to 3 giggers (1 tuned for slide), 1 beater and 1 acoustic, and be plenty happy.
    MUCH harder to streamline the amp pile.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I painstakingly whittled myself down to three electrics, three acoustics plus one bass. I'm completely satisfied being at this level for over two years now. I love different guitars, but I know from past experience that if I have more, some just won't get played.

The caveat is that Mrs. Obsessed has a sweet Gibby LP, a couple of acoustics and a bunch of basses, so I could even let go of my bass too. She is in the purging mode, so it could get scary.:lol:

17. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Four is my bare minimum: a 6-string electric, a 5-string open-G electric (roughly a third of my playing), an acoustic, and a bass.

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

MAN! I like that Tele Custom with the maple neck!

19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

And I'll agree with it; My Squier Strat plays better than any Strat (inc. USA models) that I've had in my hands - and that's dozens of them.

blowtorch likes this.
  20. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So what price is to expensive to play because your afraid you will scratch or drop it? I have a $4,000 acoustic. It is my favorite acoustic to play. I didn’t buy it to open the case to look at it.

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.