1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A couple from Dead End FX

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Mar 7, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I just finished up another Spaceman clone from Dead End FX, I really enjoy their builds. This one is the "Anticarus", a clone of the Aphelion overdrive using a CA3080, a J201 JFET, and an LND150 N-channel depletion mode MOSFET. It's LOUD!

Aphelion circuit.jpg Aphelion top.jpg

I did their "Glenn" boost back in January too, another Spaceman design, the Atlas III, another circuit using the LND150.

Atlas boost gutshot.jpg Altlas boost pre decal.jpg

There's one more Spaceman design on the bench from Dead End, the "Wally" overdrive, clone of the Apollo VII, I should have that wired up this week.

No decals until it gets warmer here, though I've been thinking of alternatives as I'm sick of the lacquer smell. I may just do the Aphelion with dry transfer letters like I did a FuzzDog RC Boost.

Flip G, BobTheOwl, SbS and 1 other person like this.
  2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Looks great!

zippofan likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Once the relay and one capacitor came, this finished up quick, the Dead End FX "Wally" (Spaceman Apollo VII clone). It's a straight up overdrive using RC4558 opamps and switchable diode clipping, LED, silicon or none. It has a lot of gain too and boost your amp into overdrive.

The switching circuit uses a Pedal Sync microcontroller and a latching 5V relay, when you first apply power the chip goes through a startup cycle flashing the LED. At first I thought I did something wrong lol.
    Wally Top.jpg wally circuit.jpg

These circuits from Dead End are fun to build. I bet the original designer had fun with these as well. I can always count on ferrite beads as RF attenuators, a novel switching system, unusual active devices old and new, and at least one off standard value resistors and capacitors. The handful of weird Vishay/Dale resistors I bought when I first built the "Flint" overdrive (Saturn V) I used up on these last couple builds.

BobTheOwl and Flip G like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.