1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

a couple differant options for selling partscasters

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by cbnutt, Feb 1, 2016.

1. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Just curious when you have decided to sell a partscaster , whats been your best option ? selling as a complete guitar , or parting out ? iam curious if it happened to have a real fender neck , or body , if it would do better parted out then ? some of the 52RI necks on ebay bring a big price for instance , but buyer might not want the rest of the guitar if there just after market parts its attached to , just wandering the best route to go on this as we have all built a few and decided to try something else .

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm no expert, cuz I've never sold one, but I've built a few partscasters, and I think you would do better to part it out.

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ive never tried selling one
    what I did was trade one for an amp
    I got a Vaporizer for a partscaster made with squier parts

4. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

Partscasters are like an old dog. You cant get anything for them but you love them to pieces.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Please sell your partscaters whole so I can buy them cheap!

When you sell the parts individually it costs me too much money...

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Haha!

7. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, that is definitely a case where the parts are worth more than the whole. I've parted out several necks from bodies over the years, ocassionally breaking apart even non-partscasters into neck & body, and have always gotten more out of them that way.

8. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

I have a favourite Strat which is basically a Custom Shop Strat.

The only non CS part is the beautifully aged Mark Jenny (MJT) Olympic White alder body. Something like the one Jimi had.

The whole guitar is a gem with it's 'Abby' pickups and a great CS maple neck.

I could not find a better strat IMO, without paying out a whole ton of dough. Sell it? Not a chance, but if I did it would be in one piece. No cherry picking here. It's all or nothing.

You are not interested? - good!! I can now relax. .....:lol:

Many partscasters have soul, a few of the others have too.

9. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I've had some really great partscasters, but given it's always going to be an online sale (no CL for me), no one can tell that it's great, so interest is hard to come by.

Awhile back it was the view of the folks on this forum that no partscaster would be worth more than $500 (whole), regardless of quality of parts. Lately it has been opined that $300 is the max; must be the economy or like my real estate agent neighbor, trying to influence the market. Given that, I've been parting them out so as to get more of telemnemonics money! I like his money ... I use it to then buy someone else's whole partscaster! :D

10. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

Ive sold one, traded a few & parted some out. I think it would depend on the sum of the parts & initial investment.
    I modded an affinity strat & sold it for $80, paid $25 originally, did not buy new parts but paint & other finishing materials werent cheap.
    Bought a bullet strat for $50 cuz I wanted the neck. Sold the loaded body for $45.
    I think as a general rule of thumb even a brand new guitar from the factory could be parted out for a profit but other factors like your time, gas mileage, shipping, etc. have to be considered.
    My Squier VM Thinline was paid for by all my horsetrading. I started out by trading a fuzz pedal for a partscaster tele with bad frets. A year & dozens of deals later I had $300 to buy a brand new guitar.
    I had a lot of fun playing Dr Frankenstein along the way & love hunting online, classifieds & estate sales for gear.
    Just do what floats your oats, there's no wrong answer if you just do what makes you happy.
    I should also mention I have been on the receiving end of some terrible deals & had to eat crow, but such is the life of a gambler.

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I'd say it depends upon your starting point. If you began with a complete guitar that turned into a partscaster then restore the guitar to it's original state, sell the guitar as what it was and keep the parts you want for your next build.

If it started life as a partscaster, there must be something about it that you don't like or you wouldn't be considering the sale to begin with. So...Disassemble it, sell whatever it is about it that you don't like and replace those pieces with something that you do like...Simple...:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.