A coupla suspicious pieces

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
One's gotta be careful out there in the wildernet -

1) The guy claims it's a '73 Daphne Blue, whereas in reality it's a refin:

2) All kinds of red flags with this one too... one of the last old model Customs? I somehow don't think so:

Or am I wrong about the 2nd one? The first is definitely a repainted '73 and the guy even admits that when asked. Thoughts?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
What’s wrong with the second one?

The dome knobs aren’t original but that’s all I’ve spotted so far

Seems kind of cheap or maybe that’s what they go for?

Right now there is a scam going around where stuff is priced as really good deals usually out of Germany and and some UK that are listed by new sellers with no feed back

You Will NOT get that REALLY good deal

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
The back of the sunburst body looks like a younger brother or sister to my 70 instrument

It's the extra red in the blend & the gloss top coat...... those Guys were pretty good craftspersons at the burst process

The front of this guitar looks like it was painted by a different person with different paint air brush pots on a different day

Look at the dimensional depth of the transition from black to red to yellow.........there is about 1" variance between the transition from to back

Derek

Last edited:

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
The back of the sunburst body looks like a younger brother or sister to my 70 instrument

It's the extra red in the blend & the gloss top coat...... those Guys were pretty good craftspersons at the burst process

The front of this guitar looks like it was painted by a different person with different paint air brush pots on a different day

Look at the dimensional depth of the transition from black to red to yellow.........there is about 1" variance between the transition from to back

Derek
That's what I was thinking. And pots from '66? I didn't think it they would have that many overstocked parts?

msalama

Tele-Afflicted

The following maybe?

1) The serial looks kind of high for an early to mid '72 original Custom (was a completely different model after that, as you know)
2) Front and back finishes don't match (and yes, the front has gotten a lot more exposure, but still)
3) The price; a genuine "Last Mohican" would fetch twice that I'd wager
4) No photos of body & neck stamps / markings, PU markings, etc.
5) Notwithstanding the price, still no sale - why?

Just hunches, and I do know it's impossible to date a Fender by serial only, but still.

Last edited:

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted

The dome knobs aren’t original but that’s all I’ve spotted so far

Seems kind of cheap or maybe that’s what they go for?

Right now there is a scam going around where stuff is priced as really good deals usually out of Germany and and some UK that are listed by new sellers with no feed back

You Will NOT get that REALLY good deal

I believe the pickguard to be a replacement too. The red seems to have faded more on the front than on the back but that may be explained by it spending a lot of time behind a shop window?

kuch

Tele-Holic
I think legitimate vintage dealers would always show the neck/pocket stamps. Without them, I wouldn't pay even that much for a "vintage" guitar.

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Domed knobs, second string tree, is it the angle of the photo or is the body a bit flat at the Jack socket.
Not at all sure exactly that is, but you’d want to see neck code, pocket markings, etc

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Refin might not bother me because Daphne blue is the ultimate evolution of all things. What does bother me is the unfilled grain under that beautiful color. That is not a Fender body. Also, don't use that headstock in a sword fight, just saying.

Both of those are at least $3,000 high for 72-73 Tele even if they were legit.

Here's a 72 that's verified by a boutique and well-established dealer. This is a little high but gives you a better idea what the price should be for 100% legit, documented and fully vetted 72 Tele:

Take a look at what these year Teles are selling for at Gruhn (which you know is not a discount house). If these were 100% legit and documented and professionally verified they would be $1,500-2000 overpriced). Run away fast.

Last edited:

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Refin might not bother me because Daphne blue is the ultimate evolution of all things. What does bother me is the unfilled grain under that beautiful color. That is not a Fender body. Also, don't use that headstock in a sword fight, just saying.

Both of those are at least $3,000 high for 72-73 Tele even if they were legit.

Here's a 72 that's verified by a boutique and well-established dealer. This is a little high but gives you a better idea what the price should be for 100% legit, documented and fully vetted 72 Tele:

Take a look at what these year Teles are selling for at Gruhn (which you know is not a discount house). If these were 100% legit and documented and professionally verified they would be $1,500-2000 overpriced). Run away fast.
Woe! There’s a map at the bottom of that website

I want to know about this omelettry!

Is it all omelette all the time?

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
The first ('blue') is a very amateur refinish (at best). Neck looks likely to be early 70s, but..

without detailed pics of the guts and pockets, date stamps, etc the ad is worthless.

why some sellers post a near dozen identical pics / head shots, but won't open the controls, pop the pickguard or remove the neck - is beyond me.

'Vintage' has become like the term 'Organic' - they're both rooted in spreading extra manure.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
A wise man once observed that there seem to now be more "vintage '57 Strats" than there were Strats produced in 1957. Yet another reason to avoid the "vintage" market ...
I’ve heard that with les Paul’s

How they produced maybe 1500 or so 58-60 les Paul bursts and of that 1500 there’s 5000 left today….

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
And the shape seems off as well, plus no notch. A Japanese reissue body perhaps?

1972_Tele_wrong_shape.jpg

Last edited:

Gorquin

Tele-Meister
It's sometimes hard to determine what's going on in the vintage market. Some guitars look like scams, others are hard to determine, AND the prices have gone nuts! Last year I purchased a 1976 Fender hardtail Strat w/OHSC. The pots, maybe the switch, and the pickups where changed. All disclosed by the seller, a store selling on Reverb, but the body was 100% original and in decent shape. No routes to the body at all. Neither the seller or I could determine exactly what the pups are. They might be Fender but not sure. White and Black wire, plastic bobbin, the bridge pup reads about 14K. They could be cheap junk....but ....for what ever reason...they sound great. LOL weird !The neck was refretted (nice job) but they never tinted the maple neck when they refined the fretboard so it was a bit light. It's darkened up a bit since I purchased it. The case was in good shape but someone had added two extra latches years ago. I only paid $1100 for it but now a butchered guitar is going for that much.

Sputnik03

TDPRI Member
One's gotta be careful out there in the wildernet -

1) The guy claims it's a '73 Daphne Blue, whereas in reality it's a refin:

2) All kinds of red flags with this one too... one of the last old model Customs? I somehow don't think so:

Or am I wrong about the 2nd one? The first is definitely a repainted '73 and the guy even admits that when asked. Thoughts?
If it looks too good to be true, it is. When you buy from private sellers, you gotta be prepared to take the lumps. There are some very rotten bastards out there, and they are after the contents of your wallet.