A Cool Thing Happened at GC Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Like you, I lament the loss of all of the great guitar shops in Boston. I bought my first guitar from E.U. Wurlitzer on Mass Ave when I was 14 with money I saved from working as a dishwasher (it was a white Hondo Strat). Over the years, I watched all those great shops disappear... Wurlitzer, LaSalle, Daddy's, etc.

I stop by Boston Music in Bridgewater quite frequently on my way to visit my mom, it's a nice little shop. I love that they always have a new variety of vintage, high end, and affordable stuff. Nice guys too.

I've also been checking out Music Go Round on Rt 9 in Natick too, and I've picked up a few deals there. Vic is a really nice guy and he seems to work his butt off to keep the small, local shop vibe going. Gave me a fair deal on a trade and in turn I bought some stuff from him. I would recommend his shop as well.

There is (or was) a GREAT shop in Peabody/Salem called Bill's Music... I bought a TON of stuff from him back in the day and haven't been up there in years. Might have to see if he's still open and make a roadtrip. Great guy, super knowledgeable, and has some really nice stuff. I ordered my Ric 360 from him new in '89 and I scored a nice '89 Strat Plus Deluxe from him on a sweet deal. Think I bought 6 or 8 guitars from him over the years.

I've been to Empire Guitars in RI a couple of times and they have really nice stuff, but lately, I have reached the saturation point (22 guitars/basses), and at this point, I'll probably be selling/trading to move up. Selling some of my lower-end stuff or things I don't use as much to get something high-end that I really want. My current GAS is a Gretsch... either a 6120 or a Falcon.

My local GC has good people, but the inventory has dropped way off and there's just nothing there that I want. I prefer to support small local shops that have the variety I am looking for. Might have to check out that PM Blues you mention... never heard of it. Thanks!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

3. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

It is "eternal damnation WITHOUT relief" right? :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Oz it's law that if a price is marked , or stated, the seller must stand by it.
    Recently I got a Katana 50 for $369 AUD ( $251 USD).

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

GC is the same as Best Buy in my opinion. It is a place to try stuff out, then order it online. I do not trust the typical GC employee.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I suppose everything can get worse.

[​IMG]

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

PM Blues is now defunct.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That's too bad I guess.
    I can't say I ever saw another customer when I was in the shop, and the only time I bought gear there was when selling vintage gear.
    The owner was paying more wholesale than some shops were ticketing retail on certain things, so I liked to sell him stuff.
    I wonder what he did with his collection when he shut the doors?

Chuckster likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There is a Music Go Round in Louisville that I go to a lot - in the Hurstbourne area. It is an awesome store that is a total throw-back to the days before the internet, when you could still sale/trade gear in the store without taking a complete loss on the whole transaction. I know a lot of stores don’t even take trade-ins anymore. But this particular Music Go Round has a TON of cool gear... even used raw speakers and old rack mount crap for cheap.

Chuckster likes this.
  10. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Here in Quebec... yeah, in Canada ;-) they also have to let you pay the marked price.
    My latest deal was a pedal that was marked at the old price. The price in the computer was higher.
    I told the guy who suggested me that pedal and let me try it with my choice of guitar and amp as long as I wanted that somebody didn’t do his job correctly... he agreed and I paid the lower price...
    I think it happens when they let new guys in the shop do the job.

11. kfries

kfries NEW MEMBER!

I've gotten a few fantastic deals from GC, mostly used guitars they have either vastly underpriced or listed as the cheaper model. I have ordered guitars from their stores across the country and shipped to the local store for 20 bucks added as a shipping charge which is tremendous. I understand some of the heat they get but it's one of the places I love to stop in and do a fair bit of window shopping and bargain hunting. They have their weaknesses, you just have to turn those to your benefit.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Funny, but every time I go to a Guitar Center I have a very bad experience. So I avoid them like the plague and hope they do indeed go bankrupt as has been predicted for years. Good riddance.

13. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Shopping music stores us like driving on public roads. Some folks have skills, some patience, a purpose, a general awareness of the world, even good manners.
    Then there are the rest.

14. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

Awesome deal!

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.