A Cool Thing Happened at GC Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Like you, I lament the loss of all of the great guitar shops in Boston. I bought my first guitar from E.U. Wurlitzer on Mass Ave when I was 14 with money I saved from working as a dishwasher (it was a white Hondo Strat). Over the years, I watched all those great shops disappear... Wurlitzer, LaSalle, Daddy's, etc.

I stop by Boston Music in Bridgewater quite frequently on my way to visit my mom, it's a nice little shop. I love that they always have a new variety of vintage, high end, and affordable stuff. Nice guys too.

I've also been checking out Music Go Round on Rt 9 in Natick too, and I've picked up a few deals there. Vic is a really nice guy and he seems to work his butt off to keep the small, local shop vibe going. Gave me a fair deal on a trade and in turn I bought some stuff from him. I would recommend his shop as well.

There is (or was) a GREAT shop in Peabody/Salem called Bill's Music... I bought a TON of stuff from him back in the day and haven't been up there in years. Might have to see if he's still open and make a roadtrip. Great guy, super knowledgeable, and has some really nice stuff. I ordered my Ric 360 from him new in '89 and I scored a nice '89 Strat Plus Deluxe from him on a sweet deal. Think I bought 6 or 8 guitars from him over the years.

I've been to Empire Guitars in RI a couple of times and they have really nice stuff, but lately, I have reached the saturation point (22 guitars/basses), and at this point, I'll probably be selling/trading to move up. Selling some of my lower-end stuff or things I don't use as much to get something high-end that I really want. My current GAS is a Gretsch... either a 6120 or a Falcon.

My local GC has good people, but the inventory has dropped way off and there's just nothing there that I want. I prefer to support small local shops that have the variety I am looking for. Might have to check out that PM Blues you mention... never heard of it. Thanks!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

3. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

It is "eternal damnation WITHOUT relief" right? :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Here in Oz it's law that if a price is marked , or stated, the seller must stand by it.
    Recently I got a Katana 50 for $369 AUD ( $251 USD).

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

GC is the same as Best Buy in my opinion. It is a place to try stuff out, then order it online. I do not trust the typical GC employee.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I suppose everything can get worse.

[​IMG]

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

PM Blues is now defunct.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's too bad I guess.
    I can't say I ever saw another customer when I was in the shop, and the only time I bought gear there was when selling vintage gear.
    The owner was paying more wholesale than some shops were ticketing retail on certain things, so I liked to sell him stuff.
    I wonder what he did with his collection when he shut the doors?

Chuckster likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

There is a Music Go Round in Louisville that I go to a lot - in the Hurstbourne area. It is an awesome store that is a total throw-back to the days before the internet, when you could still sale/trade gear in the store without taking a complete loss on the whole transaction. I know a lot of stores don’t even take trade-ins anymore. But this particular Music Go Round has a TON of cool gear... even used raw speakers and old rack mount crap for cheap.

Chuckster likes this.
  10. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Here in Quebec... yeah, in Canada ;-) they also have to let you pay the marked price.
    My latest deal was a pedal that was marked at the old price. The price in the computer was higher.
    I told the guy who suggested me that pedal and let me try it with my choice of guitar and amp as long as I wanted that somebody didn’t do his job correctly... he agreed and I paid the lower price...
    I think it happens when they let new guys in the shop do the job.

11. kfries

kfries NEW MEMBER!

I've gotten a few fantastic deals from GC, mostly used guitars they have either vastly underpriced or listed as the cheaper model. I have ordered guitars from their stores across the country and shipped to the local store for 20 bucks added as a shipping charge which is tremendous. I understand some of the heat they get but it's one of the places I love to stop in and do a fair bit of window shopping and bargain hunting. They have their weaknesses, you just have to turn those to your benefit.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 TDPRI Member

Funny, but every time I go to a Guitar Center I have a very bad experience. So I avoid them like the plague and hope they do indeed go bankrupt as has been predicted for years. Good riddance.

13. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Shopping music stores us like driving on public roads. Some folks have skills, some patience, a purpose, a general awareness of the world, even good manners.
    Then there are the rest.

14. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

Awesome deal!

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.