1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

***A Close Look At An SX***

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jack Wells, Apr 20, 2009.

1. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Tele-Meister

very cool thread. does anyone know if the paint is easy to get off of the body as well? these look like a lot of fun.

2. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I think I have come to realize that I like the longer bridge plate than the Vintage style plate. Im finding that the sound actually resonates better in my opinion on the longer plates and the overall tone has better shimmer to it.

I have to wonder why the Great James Burton and Keith Richards use the long bridge plate on their Tele's...they must know something?

3. given2flym

given2flym TDPRI Member

I'm in the same boat. I know almost nothing about working on guitars, but I got a lefty light blue Stl50 a couple weeks ago. So far I've just taken out the tuners and reshaped the headstock with a dremmel. That was interesting, but its a pretty cool feeling of accomplishment just to do something that small. I plan on refinishing it dark green, putting a P-90 in the neck, a GFS 10K fatbody in the bridge, new tuners, new pots, and a new pickguard...and I've never touched a soldering iron. :eek:

But it's really enjoyable so far. And without threads like this and many more here, I would never have even considering doing this stuff myself.

Being left handed, if this modifying process isn't too painless, I might get carried away and do a few more.

4. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

could just be the fact that today's mindset is that ANYTHING and EVERYTHING vintage is better...

5. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

That is a great combination...I've got the same thing in one I built this past summer...both pickups are perfect for ballsy grit, and they compliment each other perfectly.

6. T.M.

T.M. TDPRI Member

How did the dremel work for reshaping the headstock? I also got a blue STL50 and plan on replacing the switch and pots sometime and reshaping the headstock soonish.

7. paul_h

paul_h Tele-Meister

This is an awesome thread! I hope to do something like this one day.

8. given2flym

given2flym TDPRI Member

Considering I have virtually zero experience even handling a dremmel, it was really simple. Printed out an outline, traced it, used one of the attachments that looks like a drill bit but does a good job cutting. Once I got the feel for how it handled, just plunged it in, followed the outline within about a quarter inch - give or take. Then changed over to one of those barrel, drum sanding bits and cleaned it up closer to the outline. I'm going to do the rest by hand just to be careful.

I can post some pictures later. I'm sure there are much easier ways with much better equipment, but it can certainly be done with just a dremmel.

9. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Does James Burton use the modern long bridge? Neither of his signature Telecasters have it and I haven't found a picture of him playing a Telecaster with the long bridge.

He's not using it here......

[​IMG]

10. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Well..the T style guitar he plays of late, doesn't even have a full bridge as you can see in this recent video below. When I saw him in person with his other guitar, it did not have a vintage bridge plate and he uses six tuners and not the vintage 3 of days old. I can't tell anything from the picture above, his hand is covering most of it and the angle isn't that clear of shot. :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCrs9sjiP_0&feature=related

11. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Yes, he uses an ashtray bridge with six saddles, as on his signature guitar

12. Jack Wells

Click the bar at the top of the picture. It gets bigger. That's either an old '50s model which I would suspect or a reissue. In most of the pictures I've seen, he's playing one of many of his American signature three pickup models as seen in that video. Before the flames were added his American signature model came is a frost white,frost red and a black and gold paisley if I recall correctly.

......[​IMG]

13. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I love his style of playing and his choice of licks he use to pull from his head back N-the day..but let's be honest, he has no body in comparison to what he once had to play with. His talent far exceeds the poor vocals he left to back up...very little inspiration to play at that high level he once had.

Also, in my opinion..and this is just my opinion, his T-style guitar he's been using for the last several years sounds terrible. Doesn't sound like a Strat..and Doesn't sound like a Tele..sounds like the air coming out of a baloon that is deflating..you know that sound it makes??

What the hell...nothin stays the same anymore does it..even Cropper wont be seen with a Traditional Tele that marked his claim to fame. :lol:

14. Jack Wells

Back to the SX ............ I got fairly close to the original color using Deft Clear Gloss, and Behlens Fruitwood and iterlacing them with ReRanch Fender Neck Amber. Since I don't like the neck color, I'm not going to spend further time on this exercise. I'm going to strip the orange off the entire neck and refinish it.

......[​IMG]

Stripping the orange is going pretty well. I tried th Citrus Strip since it's more pleasant to work with. I didn't have the patience to wait for that stuff. Went back to the Kleen-Strip Premium. You want to strip paint, you got to burn your fingers ............ or wear rubber gloves.

......[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  15. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Great thread and detailed pix. I've reworked 3 of these and feel they are really decent for the money ..........have been waiting to hear your take after evaluating yours more closely. The complete disassembly shouldn't have come as a surprise :lol: and provides very useful info to those unfamiliar with the SX's or are contemlating mods on one. As you have illustrated, the basic platform is a great candidate for modifications. Fitting a vintage style bridge is not a straightforward matter because of string thru hole position as you noted earlier, but can be done with a little work. Here's a pic of one I installed on a sunburst STL50: [​IMG]

When you get this one back together, I'd be interested in your observations on body resonance, etc. My 3 STLs and recently -acquired SST are all very good in that regard.

16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Forgot to ask about the neck stripping per your last photo - is that Kleen Strip taking everything off down to bare wood or is the clear sealer under the tinted finish being left on? The clear sealer seems to be pretty resistant to CitriStrip.

17. Jack Wells

I don't think it's taking the sealer off. I'm going to sand a countour on the back of the headstock. If that results in a difference in color from the rest of the neck, I'll sand the back or the neck. Probably just spray lacquer on the fretboard. Sanding between the frets is a pain.

Good job hiding the original bridge mounting holes on that sunburst. How'd you do that?

18. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

very interesting ... I am really curious to see how this all shakes out.

19. Jack Wells

Stripping done. This really was much easier than I had expected.

......[​IMG]

20. ajmikula

ajmikula TDPRI Member

That looks GREAT!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.