A Champ in Anything?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Junior Little, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

So I'm going to present entry #1 in the "Put a Champ in Anything".
    I found this thrashed out record player at Goodwill and thought it would make something neat... 1.jpg
    Built a little, rough cut chassis out of aluminium and bent it to shape with my cheapo metal brake...
    5.jpg
    Assembled my components...
    2.jpg
    Built the board...
    4.jpg
    Filled out the inside....
    11.jpg
    Added paint, decals, a boost switch, and negative feedback adjust....
    20190924_190739.jpg
    She sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself!
    20190924_190811.jpg

2. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Wonderful! I love building simple tube amps. Say what they like but the digital guys still haven't got it yet! Did once build one in a suitcase.

Junior Little likes this.
  3. Clintstone

Clintstone Tele-Meister

This kinda sounds like a challenge

Gardo, Junior Little and D'tar like this.
  4. Junior Little

Well, to be fair, this thing started out as a Champ and ended up being more like a Princeton.
    I thought it might be a fun thread to get more folks to try and put a "Champ in Anything". I'm hoping others will post their Champs built in oddball configurations.
    Let's see how far it goes...

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Tell us about that Weber 6 x 9 speaker. Weber says it's unique, or quirky, or something like that.

Treehouse likes this.
  6. Junior Little

The 6x9 speaker is actually from Vintage47 amps and it sounds very cool in this application. Its 4 ohms (naturally) and rated at an impressive 25 watts (I think).
    I really dig it. It can get "quirky", but overall it seems to fit the mojo of the amp and really does give it some greasy down-home character to the sound. I very impressed.
    At first I was a bit skeptical about spending the money on it over just finding one out of some vintage gear, but in the end, I'm glad I did.
    Hopefully I can get some sound clips up soon. Currently the amp is not with me...long story.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Interesting, and thanks. I thought that was a Weber sticker at a quick glance. Hope it gets perfect after a break-in.

8. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I have the impression those Vintage 47 speakers are made for them by Weber, but I could be wrong.

9. Junior Little

If I had to guess with money behind it, I'd say it's a Weber.

10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a record player at the Thrift store today for $10. If it had two tubes I might have taken it, it only had one 25L6. The cartridge to the grid, to a couple little OT's to two 5" speakers. The heater of the tube was in series with the turntable motor, they had a single silicon diode off the line feeding the filter cap.

I made a Champ with a Compactron tube once. It is a 13 pin tube, a 6AQ5 (more or less) in it and a pentode. I could not get it to be stable cranked back then. Know a little more now, might be able to do it. A Champ in a pedal? I just picked up a radio with a small SE transformer, smaller than I would like to use. I may have to think about this.

Just crunching some numbers, might be able to make a 2W Champ that runs off a wallwart.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    tubegeek, D'tar and Junior Little like this.
  11. Junior Little

Now that would be cool! I thought Hoffman sold little torriodal trannies that put out ~200VAC from a wall wart.

12. printer2

I can make a pedal, not sure what I would do with it though. I was looking through my speaker stash, I got a lot of interesting 8" speakers but I would like to make a mini amp. I was looking for a 4 1/2 - 6" size speaker, I don't have much in that range. I found a pair of 7" ones, a little larger than I wanted. Would have like to make it small enough that I could leave it on the desk and it takes up little space.

13. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

An old typewriter case would work nicely... angled control panel with room for a 6" x 9" speaker.

sd0200-royal-portable-antique-typewriter-case-1947-white-glass-keys-mid-century-works-10.jpg

14. printer2

I saw a cool Tweed case in the Thrift store a while back. Rounded corners but not angled like that. It was heavy and had a typewriter in it. It would have made a cool guitar amp but I was sure they would have wanted more for it than I would feel it was worth.

Frontier9 likes this.
  15. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Frequency Meter that I thought would make an awesome champ, kind of like the one in this picture:

freq_meter.jpg

I also have a pair of Roberts amps from an old Roberts (Akai) Reel to Reel. With a few mods, these would be great little amps.

Junior Little and RoscoeElegante like this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That is NICE work!

Years ago I built a 'Twin Champ' 2x8 combo cab, covered it in tweed, built a 5F1 and stuck it in there with two 8" alnico Quams. The metal badge is from an International Harvester farm tractor; Torque Amplifier was a dual-range transmission option in the 1940s. It's a rockin' beast of an amp.

[​IMG]

darkwaters, tubegeek, wclink and 7 others like this.
  17. printer2

Any pictures of the back? What are the dimensions? I tried a few small speakers with a sort of Champ that is running a 6K6GT. Just not enough power for little speakers. All sounds thin, not enough power before distortion to play clean. Also used a 6" Yamaha midrange organ speaker not in the picture.

[​IMG]

So making a 2W small tabletop Champ using a wallwart for power makes no sense. The 8" in the early sized Champ cab shown has room for a regular power supply so nothing unusual needed. I wanted to do the Champ using a switching power supply making the HV off the wallwart 12V. Use a 12AX7 and a 12AQ5 for power should make 2-3W depending on the walwart current. Oh well, there goes a day seeing if it would work. Might have to do a regular Champ in that cab with reverb instead. A small tank fits in the bottom. A 2W Champ would work with a regular guitar speaker, was hoping to not have to move around a big cabinet.

18. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

An old car tube car radio would be a good vehicle to put a champ in. I have one somewhere and have never opened it to see what tubes it runs. I will have to look around for it. Great thread.
    Cheers Ron.

19. printer2

One tube radio in the bunch, if I did not have more crap than I will ever use now. Has a 6V6 in it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/winnipeg/vintage-car-radios/1489710560

20. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Well I am the same boat with the stuff waiting to be repurchased. BUT I can feel the pull to swing by and pick it up.
    Thanks for the find
    Cheers Ron.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.