A chambered tele-ish sort of thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freeman Keller, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

The top and headstock veneer is looking great - I really like the subtlety of the burst.

I’ve just this minute started zpoxy filling a body, my first time using it. I’ve started off with a thinned coat to soak into the grain. Any general zpoxy tips for when I go with a full strength coat? I have visions of the stuff dripping everywhere!

Great build!

2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That is looking fantastic!!

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Mat, when your Zpoxy cures (24 hours) it will be very rough. Sand that back level with the wood. You have two choices at this point, actually remove the surface layer and just leave it in the pores (like you would with a paste pore filler) or actually leave a thin coat as your first finish coat. If you sand thru you will loose a lot of that grain popping feature but its very hard to stop just at the surface.

What I do is one or more applications either full strength or slightly diluted, sand them back to the wood. Those are the pore filling applications. I uses a plastic card (one of my wife's credit cards works really well). Then I apply one coat thinned with lots of DA - that can be applied with a foam brush. That last coat is kind of like wiping your wood with DA or naphtha to see the grain, having the little bit of Zpoxy keeps it in and on the wood. That last coat gets very slightly sanded.

At that point you can decide if you need a seal or base coat for your final finish. Some people use shellac, I haven't felt I needed it. I've applied water born lacquer right over the Zpoxy but I thin the heck out of the first coats with alcohol. On this guitar I'm using nitro so I gave it two thin coats of vinyl sealer before starting the actual lacquer.

People have reported good luck with other finishes over Zpoxy, I have no experience.

Robbie O'Brien did a great little vid about using Zpoxy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Mat UK likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Started shooting the lacquer yesterday. Here are the tools

IMG_4730.jpg

And here it is after two coats of vinyl sealer.

IMG_4731.jpg

The next couple of weeks will be like watching paint dry (literally) so I probably won't post anything. Need to get 15 or 20 coats on, let it cure for a couple of weeks. When that is done and I start buffing and the final build out I'll bump up the thread.

Thanks for looking and thanks for all the nice comments

Freekmagnet, twr102, 2blue2 and 3 others like this.
  5. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

very nice, warm comes to mind. good work.

6. Pullshocks

Pullshocks TDPRI Member

The finish looks really good to me. The way you brought out the figure is way preferable to "popping the grain" with black stains or dyes. Also, I like the subtle burst much better than the usual "stripe around the edge" burst.

I need to order some of the Zpoxy and start experimenting.

7. Freeman Keller

Both of these were done with Zpoxy. The first (koa) is water born lacquer, the second (coco) is nitro

IMG_0024-1.jpg
    IMG_4381-2.jpg

Itchyfeet1000 and CraigB like this.
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow dude. This is gonna be one incredible looking guitar. What fantastic work - I'm loving it. Can't wait to see this finished.

9. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, that's very useful - video is great. I have finished doing an initial thinned down wash coat. I'm going to get stuck in with a full strength coat tomorrow morning.

I'm using it on a poplar body - which isn't particuluarly pretty so I'm going with a solid finish. I'm using epoxy as a filler to harden up the surface, so i'll probably try and leave a thin film on top.

Thanks for the advice

10. Freeman Keller

Progress report. Nine coats on the back, seven on the top. About half way there. If the weather will just hold I want all the lacquer on by Thanksgiving. I'm doing the spraying outside

IMG_4750.jpg

Here it is back on the workbench

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

11. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister

Looking great . I think the headstock veneer turned out nicely . Thanks for your advice on my thread . I have a lot of learning to do !

LPTyler likes this.
  12. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Wow. This is a beautiful build. I love the subtle shaded edge. Absolutely gorgeous.

I've seen a lot of beautiful maple tops killed by people doing the dye-black-and-sand-back grain "enhancement" that just ruins the glow and chatoyance of the natural wood. Subtle is sometimes better. This is one of those cases.

I'm also a big fan of your headstock on this... it reminds me a lot of the original Tom Anderson style headstock, which was almost a downsized Strat headstock. Really works beautifully with any body style.

CraigB likes this.
  13. Freeman Keller

Thank you Darren. When I bought that wood I figured that I would do some sort of Cremona burst and just put it away in the wood shed. When I got it out and splashed some alcohol on it I thought "no way am a going to hide any of that under a bunch of black paint". The challenge then became how to best enhance what I was seeing.

And again, I appreciate the headstock comment. When I build guitars inspired by something commercial I frequently change the head enough that while you would never confuse them, the theme is carried thru. I've used that head on several tele clones and it just made sense to do it on this.

The guitar and neck are hanging in the shop and I'm trying to be good and let it completely cure. Fortunately I've got other projects and other guitars to play. I'll be back when its time to buff.

darren7 likes this.
  14. Freeman Keller

While I patiently wait for the finish to cure I though I would go ahead and do the frets. I've got several leveling beams - most of them have 120 on one side and 300 or 400 on the other. Started by filing the ends back to the edge of the f/b at 50 or 60 degrees. Then marked the crowns and leveled them

IMG_4789.jpg

Recrowned as required

IMG_4790.jpg

Knocked the edges off the ends. The little metal thing is a draft persons eraser shield - in another life I was an engineer

IMG_4791.jpg

Polished up thru the grits starting at 400 and going to 2000. The little white thing is an ordinary eraser - its a good way to hold the paper. I also wrap it over the edge of a crowning file and use it just like the file - you can see the marks on the fine paper.

IMG_4792.jpg

I'll come back to it during the setup phase but this is OK for now

IMG_4796.jpg

15. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

This is simply stunning. Your work is a real inspiration.

16. Freeman Keller

OK, I have two weeks on the finish cure and its raining out so its time to buff it out, Here is a close up of the top finish, you can see that its kind of shiny but also kind of rough. Some dust, a couple of little sags - not a bad paint job for a novice. A little dimple right at at the edge. I figured it was good enough to start sanding at 800 and go up to 1500.

IMG_4802.jpg

Here is the top after wet sanding

IMG_4805.jpg

and the back and neck

IMG_4804.jpg

Buffed with Meguiers number 2 and 3, mostly using my crappy pedestal buffer but doing the edges and horn with a foam pad in a drill motor

IMG_4808.jpg

Here's the top and head after buffing

IMG_4809.jpg

and the back

IMG_4810.jpg

Time to start building this puppy up

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Jim_in_PA, eallen, horax and 4 others like this.
  17. fordguy_85

fordguy_85 Tele-Meister

Man that's gorgeous!

oldrebel likes this.
  18. Freeman Keller

So today I soldered the extra wires down and screwed on the shiny pieces. Made a nut

IMG_4811.jpg
    IMG_4814.jpg
    IMG_4815.jpg
    IMG_4817.jpg
    IMG_4818.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg

You've seen all that stuff before. Nut slots are a hair high, I'll bring them down in a day or two. Its easier to take them down than up. Did the rest of the initial setup - tension pulled about 5 thou of relief, backed that off a hair, first fret is 18 to 20 thou, 12th is 60 to 80. Intonation is OK so I'll play it for a while and come back in a few days

Took it into the house and introduced it to Lester

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

I'll take some real pictures in a day or two, right now I'm busy playing with my new toy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  19. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They both look fantastic!!!

20. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Amazing work!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.