1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A chambered tele-ish sort of thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freeman Keller, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The shape I like for Fender-esq instruments is somewhere between tele and strat so I had to glue on a little wing to get the width.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Last step is to drill the access hole for the truss rod adjuster (it doesn't have to be at an angle like a normal Fender rod)

IMG_4648.jpg

2. Freeman Keller

I've been debating what to do about the head. My original plan was to veneer it with some nice maple that sort of matches the top and to finish it accordingly. I have some flamed maple veneer but it isn't quite right - its much lighter color (more typical of maple) and the flame is much closer together.

My second idea was to veneer it with rosewood - that would carry the fretboard theme thru to the end of the head. I'm also going to bind the body in rose so it would complete the theme. However I'm also not sure I want the head to match the fretboard. The other complicating factor in all of this is what to do about the inlay in the head - if I use the maple veneer I'll probably do the inlay in rosewood, if the veneer is rose then I can inlay maple.

So, what I'm going to do is put the maple on and see how I like it. I can even get to the point where I'm ready to finish and can experiment with some of the scraps to see if I can get a better color match. If I decide to do a sunburst I can also 'burst the head. If I don't like it I can just throw the rose on and see how that looks.

Here are the two veneers sitting on top of the neck and my big hot pipe.

IMG_4650.jpg

I have two hot pipes, this one is a piece of 3 inch pipe with a barbeque starter inside. Here is the working end

IMG_4658.jpg

I also have a smaller one that I heat with a propane torch and I have a Fox style bender for acoustic guitar side, but since I just need a quick bit of heat this one is easy to plug in and bend the veneer.

Here is a little caul that fits the curve of the head

IMG_4651.jpg

The veneer is bent and clamped to the head

IMG_4653.jpg

Done, needs some trimming

IMG_4652.jpg

3. Freeman Keller

Head is roughly shaped and truss rod access opened up

IMG_4654.jpg

The fretboard is a LMII pre cambered pre slotted board. Over the years I have built guitars of just about every scale length from mandolin to bari. It makes no sense to try to tool up to slot every different length board when I can buy an accurately slotted one for 25 bucks. Probably cheating, I don't care, if I only built one kind of guitar I'd put together a miter box.

I actually had to chuckle - last night I was reading an article in American Lutherie about the history of Gibson's three different versions of 24-3/4 scale. It seems as tho in the prewar days (and maybe into the '50's) they were cutting each slot individually on some sort of indexing slide on a table saw - it was only fairly recently that they started gang sawing all the slots at once. Not only that, they were using the Rule of 18 and rounding off to the nearest 64th.

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

C’mon Freeman, what’s a 64th between friends?

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

A 64th is insignificant to a carpenter, its a lot to a machinist. I spent 40 years working with machinists.

crazydave911 and Mugs like this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Moving on. Adjusted the truss rod neutral, filled the slot at the heel end, smeared some glue on the neck, and clamped it together

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Barncaster

It's a machinist's joke Freeman. You were supposed to say, oh about 0.015625".

crazydave911, krrtlr1 and robt57 like this.
  8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Or since 2000 or so "shy of a 1/2 a mm"

:cool:

crazydave911 and Barncaster like this.
  9. Freeman Keller

I'm staring at a set of strat plans and they give the width of the neck pocket as 2.2000/2.1875, the length as 3+/- 1/32, the depth as .594 +.010/-.020 and the walls tapered at 0.84 degrees +0/.25. Right

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    crazydave911, Barncaster and robt57 like this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Enough of that stuff. Since I had the hot pipe out I figured it was time to bind the body. First routed the channel - its so easy to do a flat topped guitar

IMG_4657.jpg

Next I bent the binding on the pipe but didn't take any pictures. Its kind of hard when you have a steaming piece of steel pipe on your work bench and hot wood in your hands to pick up a camera and document the ordeal. Anyway, bent the binding and taped it in place.

IMG_4659.jpg

My system if very simple - put the tape on with gaps of an inch or so between. Wick a tiny drop of water thin CA in the gap while holding the binding tight against the body with a little block of wood. Let it kick, sometimes I'll spray a little accelerator on it. Do the next gap, and the next and ...

When the binding is "tacked" in place (just like a welder would do) I take the tape off and run a tiny bead of the CA all around the binding. It will wick down into the gap (often a bit flows out of the bottom of the binding).

IMG_4661.jpg

This works great with both wood and plastic binding, and I've never had a failure.

Oh, for what it is worth, the pink thing in the last picture is my full on NIOSH respirator. I have become so sensitized to CA that I wear it any time I use the stuff. Can't avoid it, might as well take precautions.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    crazydave911, eallen and CFFF like this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Next day. The top was a hair thicker than the binding is tall and I cut the channel very slightly below the seam with the mahogany body. That means that the top of the binding is about 1/32 below the level top. That is actually good, I scraped the outside inch or so of the top so it gradually slopes to the binding - its really hard to see but I like it. Wiped another coat of DA on the wood to judge colors - I'm really liking what I see

IMG_4663.jpg

Here is the binding - its kind of hard to see the maple purfling line (I've been sanding and the maple has picked up a bit of dust. It will be scraped right before finishing which should restore the light line).

IMG_4664.jpg

crazydave911, DHart, Deeve and 6 others like this.
  12. Barncaster

That looks absolutely spectacular!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

Wow! Props to you from another guy with no real shop space. Using your daughter’s picnic table is an inspiration. I usually use stacked milk crates or a piece of MDF on top of a trash can.

Your guitar looks great!

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Freeman, that is coming along great, looks beautiful already. Here's one I'm finishing up,with some features similar to yours:
    DSCF2129 copy.jpg

15. Freeman Keller

Back to the neck. Went back outside and trimmed the fretboard back to the neck

IMG_4665.jpg

Slowly working it down to the lines at the nut and 16th fret

IMG_4666.jpg

Carpenter's level with some sticky back sandpaper on it.

IMG_4667.jpg

Tiny chip out right at the nut

IMG_4668.jpg

crazydave911 and Mat UK like this.
  16. Freeman Keller

Drew some reference lines on the neck blank and clamped to my work bench. Started removing everything that doesn't look or feel like a neck

IMG_4669.jpg

Spokeshave, planes and sandpaper

IMG_4673.jpg

Important to keep the back of the neck straight as it tapers towards the head

IMG_4672.jpg

Is this heresy? My favorite neck profile is one I took of an old vintage Les Paul, I've used it on several guitars and everyone seems to like them. Since this is going to be my guitar I'll make it something I know I'll like

IMG_4670.jpg

crazydave911 and Barncaster like this.
  17. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I spent about $100 on a cheapo ryobi table saw. and another $150ish to get the stewmack blade and the 25/24.75" scale template.

For me it was one of the best decisions I've made in the shop so far. But if I built a different scale length every time... Maybe I'd do it your way and just order em pre baked.

Do them by hand is no fun imho.

18. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

“Cheapo” and “table saw” sounds like a scary combination to me. My Bosch contractor’s saw was $500, and represents the minimum level of functionality and safety (integrated riving knife) I consider acceptable. That shifts the value proposition more heavily towards LMII slotted boards. Plus the fact that my hourly rate keeps going up every year, especially when I’m charging myself! :D I love the LMII slotting service.

crazydave911 and PingGuo like this.
  19. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It shouldn't in this instance.

The blade sits square. The crosscut rails work. It has a riving knife, though you don't use that for cutting fret slots.

All in it's a simple and safe solution. You could do it on your Bosch too. But that would mean changing blades. That's what make it the perfect job for a cheap table saw. All it needs to do is little itty bitty cross cuts.

Seriously, just about anyone doing this could have an all in dedicated fret slotting station for less than $300.

To be clear, I would not build a shop around a $100 ryobi saw. But it does this job just fine.

I cut down a beautiful maple billet and ended up with a bunch of boards at about $3 (not including labor).

Not saying that your way is wrong... Just that my guess is that the jump to doing it yourself is much easier than you think. And in my opinion isn't so tedious it takes the fun out of it.

But... If somebody asked me to make them a 25.25" scale guitar and just wanted "rosewood" or "maple" without any caveats I'd just go to lmii. So there, I think I've hedged out just about everything I've said.

Attached Files:

crazydave911, eallen and ctmullins like this.
  20. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That top is beautiful. Really looking good.

crazydave911 and PingGuo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.