1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A case on tweed cases...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chipss36, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

C5FAA18B-5BA5-4ED1-B031-3D1B5F5E39A1.jpeg E5DAF2FC-65C8-4B82-AB64-14F2B4EF1122.jpeg I have a new 2020 AO tele.
    One odd thing I noticed was the tweed case was very different than my last fender tweed case from 2017.
    Anyone else notice this? Or is it different models get different cases?
    I like the newer case more, more better fuzzy stuff, the tweed seems rougher and thicker.
    I do like the tweed color better of the older one...the orange fuzz, not so much.
    Are there other types of what I though the same tweed case?

2. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

New laches are cast, vrs stamped on the older case???
    Appears the new case is also lacquered vrs the older one that is not, must account for the difference in feel and color.

525BA7E4-C921-46BF-963D-F39770900D0D.jpeg

Torren61, El Tele Lobo and shupe13 like this.
  3. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Over the years g&g have manufactured with different specs. The orange is more authentic to the 50s there was a period when the case was about 3/4 inch thicker but when they did the new avri pure vintage series the case became thinner and the padding and construction seemed to get better.

El Tele Lobo and Chipss36 like this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The short orange lining was a relatively short lived tweed case variant, used for about one year total in 1958 and 1959. It carried over into the brown tolex cases (starting in the middle of 1959), and became a darker orange (but same type of material) some time in the brown tolex case years.

Before that, it was the same case design, but with red plush lining (typically called "poodle" lining, not to be confused with the "poodle cases" used before the rectangular cases).

And before that ('54 and '55), the materials scheme was the same, but the interior pocket was in the center, not off to the side.

So in short, the red poodle lined case is based on circa '55 to '57 cases, and the orange lined case is based on '58 to mid '59 cases.

As for the clear coat, both should be...but they only bothered with that detail on the newer one, I guess. I have an AV '58 reissue P Bass with a beautiful red poodle lined tweed case, and it just kills me that they didn't clear coat the case, because everything else about the bass is so excellent and right on. But I have a 2014 AV '54 reissue Strat, and a 2019 Page Mirror Tele, and they both came with clear coated tweed cases.

I'm not a fan of the new flip latches being used on the cases now. My Page's case has them, but the '54 RI Strat does not (even though the cases are identical in every other way). The new latches are smaller, thinner, and cheaper feeling.

Chipss36 likes this.
  5. Rufustelestrats

For the reproduction cases the ones in the 80s and 90s were tweed with the orange.
    Yes the material of the interior varied much over the years. I have seen most the orange, until recently when they added the deep red and other colors. IMG_4983.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5007.JPG

Torren61, Chipss36 and studio1087 like this.
  6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Great cases.

7. Rufustelestrats

Here is a center pocket for comparison DSC_8511_ (c) 2015TedRoss.JPG

Chipss36 likes this.
  8. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

Funny story, I bought a new Tele performer from my local shop. The salesman said it came with a hard case, so he took off to find it in the back, and he came back with a tweed, with the red lining.

I was pretty shocked, considering the guitar should have only come with a cheap gig bag, and the tweed case was around 250 bucks. I'm pretty sure there will be a professional or an elite fender missing a case LoL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Torren61 and Chipss36 like this.
  9. Rufustelestrats

The case above is a poly composite case not the gng. They are nice, have blown foam and different latches, but for the pro series they were about $90 are a great value.
    The new classic with wood construction is more along the 150 range. Still a great value.

10. EsquireOK

Nope. That's the cheap version of the tweed case. Decent case, but not even close to vintage accurate. It's the case to get if you want the tweed look in general, but your guitar isn't an accurate reissue model. It's a $120 (retail price) case, IIRC.

11. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

Doesn't really matter to me, I just meant I got a hard shell tweed look case, rather than a crappy gig bag

12. EsquireOK

Of course. I was simply correcting your $250 value statement. The Pro Series are $120 street price (though they might have been discontinued by Fender, thus limited to old stock at dealers).

The Fender/G&G tweeds (Classic Series) are $180 street price.

The $250 Fender case is the Bass VI case, which uses a black vinyl outer covering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.