1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A cartoon drawing on day one.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I was a drawing machine growing up and always saw myself going into commercial art until I met a kid that was a natural. He was only 8 and could run circles around me despite all my years of training. I had skill via hardwork, but he had talent and I knew right then that my life would be competing against people with talent and I would lose.

Oddly enough, I feel the same way about my guitar playing. I have to really work hard to earn what skills I have, there is no talent, and I am again evnious of those who do.

I do have a niece now that was born with talent...really high degree of art talent. Watching her study my old sketch books and ask me questions has been one of my great pleasures these days as that kid has a future. I spotted it when she was only 3 and sketched the bride at a wedding on napkin. He parents actually scolded her for always "doodling" but what she drew was REALLY good, forget that she was only 3. The hands and eyes were already at a level of realism that took me a long time to achieve.

John Backlund likes this.
  2. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Here's a computer mockup Trixie slapped together of the art as it will look on the shirts when they are printed for the runner's club. She added the wording to the drawn art and placed it on the type and color of the shirts they will order. The club pre-sells the shirts based on these mockups, then they can order exactly how many they will need.
    Screenshot_20210101-205045~2.png

This is tricky stuff to do with a single color art design. If the shirt was any darker, the black line art, which is rather weak, would be lost on the shirt. Reversing the art's black line to white, and printing it on a dark shirt would make it appear as something resembling a photo negative, which would suck.

hopdybob and Milspec like this.
  3. John Backlund

This is an ink-on-acetate drawing of President Reagan created for a commemorative gun, I think a single action Colt type 'western' revolver. It would have been reduced to an almost ridiculously small size, as the usable 'real estate' for applying an image on that type of arm is tiny at best.
    IMG_20200508_182531480.jpg

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. John Backlund

Steel quill pen/india ink, from 1978...
    Screenshot_20210101-215928~2.png

Another quill pen/ink magazine illustration, this one from 1981...
    Screenshot_20210101-215239~2.png

Runner's club event shirt art from a few years ago, done with fine point Sharpie pen. I just supplied the cartoon art of the goat, Trixie added the rest...
    Screenshot_20210101-215150~2.png

5. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

This is very good. They are lucky to get your art for the event (for free).

Keep it up!!!

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Amazing stuff. I can't even fathom drawing things like that. I have basically zero artistic talent, but I really enjoy seeing it. Thanks for sharing!

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Wow. Absolutely fantastic work. As usual, you wow me with both your skill and creativity. It really is special that you share your work with us. Thank you for letting us in on your variety of creative skills.

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i wonder if there are some drawings with futuristic space travelers are in your collection when i look at your guitar designs

9. John Backlund

Surprisingly, even to me, there really aren't.

hopdybob likes this.
  10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The next page shows her in a much more pleasing way.

Donnie 79.JPG

John Backlund likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.