A buddy wanted me to record a song with him and then he doesn't show up.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
your friend is a kook
Well, maybe, but after talking to his wife last night I found out that he has an alcohol problem. On the night that I texted him he was drinking AND driving, as in driving while drinking, ran off the road, hit a couple of trees, and totally his truck and ended up in jail. She says that he had a DUI three years ago and that this one will likely cause him to lose his driver's license, in addition to his truck being gone.

Looks like the project is off for a while.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Sounds like you’re more like just past the acquaintance spot with him than a friend unless you guys have more of a past than stated. Friends don’t leave you hanging and you usually know there’s a problem happening.
Glad to hear he didn’t hurt anybody or himself. Wonder if you’ll start hearing more from him if he looses his license. You’ve got a car?

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Sounds like you’re more like just past the acquaintance spot with him than a friend unless you guys have more of a past than stated. Friends don’t leave you hanging and you usually know there’s a problem happening.
Glad to hear he didn’t hurt anybody or himself. Wonder if you’ll start hearing more from him if he looses his license. You’ve got a car?
Correct on all counts, I think.

According to his wife he has a serious drinking problem, which I never knew about. She says he's been lying to her about how much and how often he's drinking.

At this point I just hope he gets the help she thinks he needs.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Well, maybe, but after talking to his wife last night I found out that he has an alcohol problem. On the night that I texted him he was drinking AND driving, as in driving while drinking, ran off the road, hit a couple of trees, and totally his truck and ended up in jail. She says that he had a DUI three years ago and that this one will likely cause him to lose his driver's license, in addition to his truck being gone.

Looks like the project is off for a while.

true! but think of the songs he can write about this AND he'll have time!

rigatele

Tele-Afflicted
he was drinking AND driving, as in driving while drinking, ran off the road, hit a couple of trees, and totally his truck and ended up in jail. She says that he had a DUI three years ago and that this one will likely cause him to lose his driver's license, in addition to his truck being gone.

Is that maybe the subject of the next song? Oops, you beat me to it... at least it's about pickups!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
A friend wanted me to record one of his original songs. I said I would so he came over and we went over it. I really didn't have a good feel for what he wanted or what I should play on it.

So about two weeks later, after the holidays, he had tinkered on it some more and said that he knew what he wanted, so we set up another time to get together, and then...he didn't show up. And no texts either and he had previously been a big texter.

Did I get ghosted?
You got Ghosted.
He probably has some insecurity issues.
Live and let Live.

Keep him as a buddy, be ready to lose him as a project to Record.

kiwi blue

Tele-Afflicted
At least you know what you're dealing with now. You need a balance between compassion and setting clear boundaries to protect yourself. An addiction problem doesn't make your friend any less worthwhile as a person, and you shouldn't reject him for that, but it does mean there's the potential for you to become collateral damage.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
He needs a friend. If you are up to the task please go for it. If not it’s ok.
Maybe, just MAYBE, he will find a new way and become the friend he was/is and your playing/recording partner

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
He needs a friend. If you are up to the task please go for it. If not it’s ok.
Maybe, just MAYBE, he will find a new way and become the friend he was/is and your playing/recording partner
I told his wife to let him know if there's anything he needs or anything I can do
Start a George Jones tribute band with him
It ran through my mind George Jones driving to the liquor store on his lawn mower

pixeljammer

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
A friend wanted me to record one of his original songs. I said I would so he came over and we went over it. I really didn't have a good feel for what he wanted or what I should play on it.

So about two weeks later, after the holidays, he had tinkered on it some more and said that he knew what he wanted, so we set up another time to get together, and then...he didn't show up. And no texts either and he had previously been a big texter.

Did I get ghosted?

I always assume that ghosts have died. If they haven't, they should have!