A Boss pedal has died on me, a fairly new OC-5....anyone else lose a Malaysian made Boss pedal?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I thought Boss pedals didn't die. The Japanese and Taiwan ones certainly seldom if ever had a failure.

My OC-5 powers up but will not pass signal anymore, with the effect engaged or disengaged - nothing comes through. Tried different cables, battery only, power supply, any combination I could think of.

Yes, its true, a Boss pedal has died a far too early death. The 5 year warranty is great, but I am pretty sure there is zero stock on these anywhere. I could be waiting a while.

Anyone ever submit a warranty claim to Boss for a pedal? Just looking to see how it goes...

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
And it’s not a cable or power supply? Is it on a board power supply? If so, try a wall wart because not all bricks provide enough current and some effects use more.

That said, you probably already know that and Boss devices are robust.

What is odd is that no sound passes. Bypass should pass signal even unplugged in most stomp boxes.

Where did you get it? Call them?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
And it’s not a cable or power supply? Is it on a board power supply? If so, try a wall wart because not all bricks provide enough current and some effects use more.

That said, you probably already know that and Boss devices are robust.

What is odd is that no sound passes. Bypass should pass signal even unplugged in most stomp boxes.

Where did you get it? Call them?

I tried it on battery, independent of the power supply, which is a Walrus Audio Phoenix. Boss pedals are buffered so not true bypass - something in the circuit is not working.

I bought it used and it has worked fine for the last month, then it stopped working just yesterday. Tried again today and still nothing. I'll have to talk to boss about getting it replaced.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
The 5 year warranty is great,

I bought it used and it has worked fine for the last month, then it stopped working just yesterday. Tried again today and still nothing. I'll have to talk to boss about getting it replaced.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but this is the word from Roland/Boss about the 5 year warranty on pedals.

"This limited warranty is offered only to the original purchaser of a product purchased new from an authorized Roland or BOSS dealer in the Warranty Region. In the event that you sell the product, this limited warranty is null and void and may not be transferred to the new owner."

In all my years I have never had a BOSS fail on me. Open it up and look for something obvious. I know these would be surface mount... but the electrolytic caps would still be easily replaceable if needed - and broken/loose wires are also easy to fix. When you have it open and the board pulled out slightly.... carefully hook it up and try it. Maybe (just maybe) it is just shorting out inside the cramped space.

Last edited:

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Truthfully I've never had a Boss pedal quit on me. That said, other than using their TU tuners on all my boards I haven't purchase any other Boss pedal in the last dozen years. In the '80s and '90s I had quite a few. Maybe they've gone downhill. I don't know. Their tuners are still the best.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Never had a problem with a Boss pedal before. Even the used ones that I bought.
Is that correct, they make em in Malaysia now?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but this is the word from Roland/Boss about the 5 year warranty on pedals.

"This limited warranty is offered only to the original purchaser of a product purchased new from an authorized Roland or BOSS dealer in the Warranty Region. In the event that you sell the product, this limited warranty is null and void and may not be transferred to the new owner."

In all my years I have never had a BOSS fail on me. Open it up and look for something obvious. I know these would be surface mount... but the electrolytic caps would still be easily replaceable if needed - and broken/loose wires are also easy to fix. When you have it open and the board pulled out slightly.... carefully hook it up and try it. Maybe (just maybe) it is just shorting out inside the cramped space.

Well, I filed the claim, but I do hope they will still honor it. This pedal line is less than a year old - there is no reason it should fail, except for a manufacturing defect. I hope they are curious enough to take it on and do the right thing, even if the warranty does not cover it. If not, there is an authorized Roland/Boss repair facility not too far from me. Most of the insides are SMD, so not sure he can do much for it, but if it is a simple cap (I looked, nothing looks obviously cooked) then he could do that.

Boss provides the option to repair the pedal, which in this case, is probably board replacement. I guess we will see what happens and how much it costs, but if they make me pay for the repair, I will simply buy a different brand octave pedal.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Boss has always been the gold standard for pedal durability, IMO. Hope that's not going away. :(

scottser

Friend of Leo's
it is truly the end of days when a boss pedal craps out.
we can rely on nothing anymore.
it is the age of lies.
goodbye, cruel world...

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Well, RMA received and pedal shipped - just need to wait and see what they say - hoping the fixed/replacement just shows up at my door in a week or two. If they decide to charge me for the repair, depending on how reasonable it is I will either do it or just have them send it back to me as is and I'll put the money towards something else.

Worst case, I rehouse a talent simulator circuit into the OC-5 casing and paint it orange.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Worst case, I rehouse a talent simulator circuit into the OC-5 casing and paint it orange.
Or this beauty...
AC3-large.jpg

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
The only five pedals that I've had fail were all BOSS, but I have many more so I'm not afraid. The switch is the weak part. Personally I'd just replace the Switch.

MarshallHeart

Tele-Afflicted

Well, I filed the claim, but I do hope they will still honor it. This pedal line is less than a year old - there is no reason it should fail, except for a manufacturing defect. I hope they are curious enough to take it on and do the right thing, even if the warranty does not cover it. If not, there is an authorized Roland/Boss repair facility not too far from me. Most of the insides are SMD, so not sure he can do much for it, but if it is a simple cap (I looked, nothing looks obviously cooked) then he could do that.

Boss provides the option to repair the pedal, which in this case, is probably board replacement. I guess we will see what happens and how much it costs, but if they make me pay for the repair, I will simply buy a different brand octave pedal.
don't punish the brand...you don't know how the pre-owner treated the pedal...BOSS is still one of the most reliable brands out there,countless pros use their pedals on stage for that reason (and sound)....I have A LOT of used BOSS gear and never had a problem

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
don't punish the brand...you don't know how the pre-owner treated the pedal...

True, but it had ran for me without issues for about 4 months and then one day just stopped working - something was clearly amiss in the main circuit. I'd be curious to know what happened, but probably never will. Hopefully if they discovered a design or manufacturing flaw, they can get that corrected on the line for current production.