A Bonamassa rant(ish) on Stage Volume (hint he likes loud)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, May 17, 2019.

1. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Hello, Joe Bonamassa here… yeah, you know, the same guy who was accused of calling pedal users lazy (not quite) and has been labelled everything from overrated to overweight. Anyway, I have been asked to write a few words in defence of us loud guitar players out there seeking redemption or at least some sort of validation for our methodology. So here it goes…

https://guitar.com/features/opinion-analysis/joe-bonamassa-playing-loud/

Dr Improbable and Wally like this.
  2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Gonna play a passing note on this one

3. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

When I saw Joe it was a reasonable volume, the Doobie Brother's were uncomfortably loud.

4. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Great....……….and now any hopes of controlling volume at the local bar just went out the window.

verb boten likes this.
  5. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

6. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I think i agree with JB, BUT the talent has to be there. Loud doesn't work for out of tune, limited ability or little talent.

Tomm Williams likes this.
  7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Guess you missed the last paragraph, which begins: "Bottom line: you need to play to the gig (volume- and amp-appropriate)..."

Wally likes this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Weird that good guitarists want crazy volume. ... or is it just the sound guy being lazy?

I heard Joe Satch at the Keswick, a 500 to 1,500 (haven t counted) seat old 1 level '20s movie palace, not a bad seat in the house. Inside the sound level was blowing my pant leg around and making the water in my cup dance. In the lobby, the same, between the outter and inner doors as loud as a loud '70s concert. Finally I went outside and sat on a bench. There it was as loud as it should have been. Some groups should turn up a little, the last Ian Anderson was too soft, but theres no exuse for sound so loud it hurts your ears or can even move phsical objects.

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Not so much a defense of being loud as a rant against ego-tripping sound-men. I mean, guitar players are all selfless team-players, amirite?

10. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I'm kind of struggling with the point of the article...what exactly is he coaching us to do here? "Turning it up" works great when you're on a big stage with professional equipment and people that have paid for a ticket solely to see the all glory that is you...but it doesn't really work well for us hacks playing a Saturday night at Harry's House of Suds squeezed into the spot where the pool table used to be and the customers came out to talk to their friends and pick up on chicks and they can't really do that when you're trying to let your amp breathe.

I guess he does admit in the end that you have to play the gig "level appropriate" but it seems to me like the point is for him to say "amps sound better loud." Well duh....

verb boten and Tomm Williams like this.
  11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

We have a gig coming up, and there will be a house soundman. We've played there before, and the guy is really good. However, our drummer has said that it'll mean that we can be quiet on stage. My amp - PRRI - sounds better loud, so I don't want to be too quiet. Thankfully, my amp will be in front of the drums, and the drummer's monitor mix can be adjusted for his own preference.

12. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

No I understood but I will bet any amount of money that message will be lost on countless others.

verb boten likes this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

"My advice is to stand your ground and be the guitarist you worked so hard to be. Make Buddy Guy and Jimi Hendrix proud. Also, most importantly, make yourself proud of the work you do and legacy that you leave behind..."

:rolleyes:
    Great. As if guitar players need more permission to be prima donnas.

"Read more on Joe Bonamassa here."

Nah, I'm good. Thanks.

drlucky and kookaburra like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Turn that s**t up!
    I want to hear Hendrix!"

....Miles Davis to Mike Stern...

Turn that s**t down!
    The Rock rebellion has been squashed!
    The era of loud guitar is over!

...OSHA...

fnkmstr and Chunkocaster like this.
  15. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I can see it happening; a band's 2nd gig of all time, lead player still working out the clams and trying to stay in tune but thinking "Joe says turn it up, so here goes".

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I always push back on soundmen who tell me to turn it down and they'll 'give me plenty of volume out front.' I've even had that conversation with one of the bands that I'm in - that if the guitars are turned down, the band is going to sound wimpy. And I don't do wimpy.

9 times out of ten I can get to a compromise level that satisfies my need to get maximum tone from my amp without killing the first five rows. But if I just acquiesced to the soundman and played at the levels they wanted me to, the entire sound of the band ends up suffering. I always walk the line between a healthy tone and non-lethal volume levels. It is achievable.

- D

magic smoke and Paul in Colorado like this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe some can just plug their iPhone earbuds in and listen to a live stream from a Kemper at comfortable low volume while at the concert?

Wobbles and Paul in Colorado like this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Uhhh, there's no such thing as a stock PR being loud! In the context of Bonamassa loud!:eek: Unless it's a real small place... which usually dont have sound persons...

19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Nowadays, everything is uncomfortably loud for me. I have tinnitus. Even when my band plays, I use IEMs and everything is direct including the electronic drums. My hearing will never again be able to tolerate playing in a band with real amps and drums. I don't go to concerts anymore for the same reason.

urbandefault likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm a Murican so when my playing is unintelligible I turn it up louder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.