1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Blues Jr III story

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blackguts, Mar 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

About ten years ago I bought a Fender BJ III FSR. It is wheat coloured with a Jensen speaker. Since then I have bought and sold a Deluxe and a Super and too many crappy practice amps to list. The only ones of any merit would be the Vox Valve-Trains. I have an Evans for my pedal steel but the Blues JR continues to be my bedroom/small gig amp.

I blew power tube twice before a tech turned the bias down. Fender would be smart to put better tubes in these as I cannot stress how much better even a set of JJs improves these little amps.

We have gigged Mexico, Texas, Colarado, Nevada and all over Western Canada together, even if just along for the ride as a backup.

I love BJs

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

16148896283183852047778815110773.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

I have the BJ III LTD (tweed) with the Jensen C12N. Love the Jensen in this amp, especially for the clean/slighty dirty sounds. Sparkling with complex overtones. Some change the speaker out, not me.

blackguts likes this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Two-Tone, which is a limited run Fender did where they put a BJr. head in a cab with a mismatched 10" and 12" speakers.
    It ain't going anywhere.

blackguts likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

What did you notice about the tone after you biased it cooler?

blackguts likes this.
  6. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

It's a very reasonable amp, and there is no surprise it's done so well over the years.

Beautiful clean, and a decent mild crunch.

That alone goes a long way for most players. A few pedals and you can take it further.

I had a regular BJ III for a while, the dirt just didn't stay articulate enough for me. It's very possible that changing the speaker would have improved things in that department, but I had other amps that outperformed it so didn't experiment.

It's still a very impressive amp. It really does a great job at clean and light break up tones.

blackguts likes this.
  7. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Mine has traveled interstate 40 with me nearly coast to coast. I don't think I could ever bring myself to get rid of it at this point. Hell my BJR has probably been in more states than most people will visit in their lifetime.

blackguts likes this.
  8. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

I didn't notice any difference, but it was in the shop for a week so no direct comparison. I only got a year each out of the first two sets of power tubes

9. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I enjoyed mine... I had a first gen and it was just beautiful.
    one of the ones I wish I still had

blackguts likes this.
  10. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

@blackguts

I think I’d like a player who would carpet but not finish the walls in a music room and similarly doesn’t bother to put a pickguard on an Esquier. Cheers to you!

David C, Brian L and blackguts like this.
  11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

We can all relate to that:lol::lol::lol:

Les Paul lover and blackguts like this.
  12. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I cooled the bias down on my jr. Tone wise there is no difference to my ears .... tube wise, the amp is nowhere near as hungry. They last longer. That said, if this is your gigging amp you would be wise to keep spare tubes with you. It still will eat them just not as hungry.

blackguts likes this.
  13. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I can’t get rid of mine, either. It’s a first generation black one. I’ve played it everywhere. The Blues Junior is the back line amp at blues jams all over Dallas.

blackguts likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Mine, is a 1999, that I bought used in 2000, for $270.
    It definitely has kind of a murkier, midrange tone to it, than the brighter, newer models, but I like it just fine.

Over the years it has had parts replaced/upgraded a few mods ( 'tone stack'), a Neo speaker, and my tech friend installed a bias adjustment pot for him ( not me!) to fool with when changing power tubes, now JJ's

My BJ is pretty loud and clean ( use a few different OD's for breakup, as well as to add some brightness)

I bet we've done a 'thousand' gigs together! R&R, Blues, Surf, Country over 20 years.
    Gigs/venues are quieter now for me, so the BJ is now my 'big gig' amp.
    20200623_163716.jpg

blackguts and Treynor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.