1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

a bit on speakers

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by chucker, Apr 19, 2021.

1. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

this tends to be tedious to get through, but this Jensen sound engineer gave me a lesson on many of speaker characteristics. not the definitive explanation of the subject, just some good general facts.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  2. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

Good information. I was very curious about higher ohm speakers having less frequency response. That didn't make sense to me. Anyone?

metalosophy likes this.
  3. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

I believe his premise was that a 16 ohm voice coil has more coil wire than a 4 ohm voice which causes a slight change in weight. The added mass of the 16 ohm coil equates to slightly less movement and frequency response. There must be only a tiny, tiny difference between the 4 ohm and 16 ohm frequency response because I've never been able to hear any difference myself.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  4. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

resistance was one of the salient points. what i got was that the lower ohm speakers had a warmer tone or to that effect. they didn't have time to pick every nit because the jensen guys had had decades long conversations about minutia. i felt one of the probable factors was which were more applicable to high volume.

5. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

If this is the engineer behind the hideous sounding overpriced 'jensen' line, I'll pass.

schmee likes this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's complete bunkum. Nobody ever complains about McIntosh stereos having lack of detail and they like Vox and Marshall use the UK-common 16 ohm (used to be 15 ohm) impedances. Aussie audio manufacturers who were all Brit-centric subsidiaries mostly used 15 ohm speakers in everything until they started dying in the 70s due to Asian competition..

Noone ever said Celestion Blues lack detail, or Goodmans Audiom.

Lower impedance shorter voicecoils turn more energy into output. Longer higher impedance voicecoils are actually higher fidelity but turn a little more energy into heat. So any given power amp.might sound louder.

Shorter voicecoils in quality copper cost less and have lower production tolerances - guess why cheap amps and sound gear tend to have 4 ohm speakers....

Jensen and American makers like Fender, Hammond etc tended to settle on 8 ohm speakers probably because that's what US suppliers like CTS, Oxford, Jensen, Utah had decades ago. Whereas Laney, Marshall, Orange Hiwatt all used what was available in the UK which was basically, 15 ohm.

images (53).jpeg
    I notice Celestion has started using old style labels with 15 ohm on them for UK Greenbacks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  7. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

I haven't been aware of a difference, either.
    That sounds like the most reasonable explanation. More mass = slower acceleration. Thanks.

dan40 likes this.
  8. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

The added mass most likely affects the way that the cone moves and vibrates. This must have some affect on the frequency response.

9. Mowgli

Mowgli TDPRI Member

I haven't watched the video yet but did he mention anything about the importance of "impedance matching" with regard to frequency response?

Or the effect of two 16 ohm speakers in parallel with an 8 ohm output vs. an output impedance of 16 ohms with one of these 16 ohm speakers?

10. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Jensen provide more data than other manufacturers but it does not always proof that lower impedance loudspeaker Mechanical Mowing Mass is higher than higher impedance!

On P15N and C15N MMMs have significant difference which I don't understand because proportionally on big loudspeaker cone mass should have bigger role than voice coil. However of those examples the high frequency responces follow MMM but there are others which lower impedance is lighter and/of MMM does not show on high frequency responce.

I have 8 ohm P15N which MMM is very high but it has very good sounding highs where bell chimes and bird shirps can be heard although its highs drop much sooner than others but obviously they are frequencies which come around 1,5k...3k Hz where they are very strong almost 110db.

Obviously big loudspeaker quits operating like a piston on low frequency and voice coil sends waves thru cone and outer part does not move much at all when it produce highest frequencies.

11. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

I love the complex harmonics of the P12N clean.

2L man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.