A bit of a different Glaser with Fender CS touches...

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Silverface, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

As many of you know I have a fairly large bender "quiver". But one thing I always wanted was a b-bender on a REALLY good Strat. I've played a few DIY Strat benders and the mechanisms were awful - and the guitars cheap partscasters.

My "go-to" benders have been Evans Pull Strings - a '69 Thinline reissue, a Baritone Tele, and a Fender solid-body mandolin (plus a Glaser/Gibson Music City Jr., a hybrid PW/Pull String, several McEwen Slingshots, a Higgins Peg Bender...and one Hipshot (yes Will - I STILL use it! :D).

But a good Strat bender had eluded me. So I decided to see if Joe Glaser would work with me on something a little different, as Dave Evans doesn't do Strats. I found a reasonably light "butcher block" ash/mahogany body with rear-loaded electronics, and took the "Abby" pickups and Chris Fleming '54-spec Custom Shop neck from a Strat built with *some* parts from a '54 Anniversary; 70's Fender hardtail bridge/saddles; nickel Klusons plus Keith banjo "D" Tuners on the A and high E strings (like my Clarence White setups)...

...and Joe, after some friendly arm twisting:p, installed a B (convertible to G) bender with normal adjustable spring tension - AND with adjustable throw. He will NOT make the throw adjustable as general practice - it was a special favor because of my guitar and pedal steel tech background (the latter quite important because of the cable mechanism, which is somewhat similar to the early Fender pedal steels I service and play (an 8-string, 9 pedal/2 knee lever 400 and a 10 string, 6 pedal/3 knee lever 800).

It's now my other "go-to" bender, with a finely-balanced mechanism that just takes a light press to pull a full step - and pops right back to pitch when released. And with the "Louisville Slugger" '54-profile neck and '54 spec pickups it plays/sounds very close to a '54!

And a big plus - after some final tweaking of the pickup mounts it weighs just 7# 14oz.

It's a bit of a throwback - Dave Evans' original bodies were "butcher block" style, and it took me months to find one with quality wood, light weight, and I really like the clean lines of "back loading" with no pickguard. And it took some extra "arm twisting" to get Joe to mount the bender on a "laminated" body (his term) - I even sent one "normal" body in case I couldn't twist far enough!:lol:

full front.JPG

You can see the Keith tuners on the headstock; the straplock attachment hole on the lever; and the "wire rope" type cable....
    full back, open pickups and controls.JPG
    The thumbwheel adjusts the tuning of the stop, and below this pic you can clearly see the wire. Then the following pic shows the back of the mechanism - small, compact and extremely precise! If you own one DO NOT TAKE IT APART!! Without Joe's guidance you'd likely break it - and most do not have multiple throw options anyway, so there's no reason to open them up. Even looking at them can pop things apart.

The next pic shows the phillips-head tension adjusting screw; the last one the saddle that can be converted to a G bender (sorry for the focus issue!).

Although IMO you can manually play most G bends, most B bends are physically impossible to pull off when holding a partial chord without a mechanism - which is why I normally keep my Glasers in "B" configuration.
    body back with covers.jpg angle view, pickups & contrls.JPG mechanism from neck end 2.JPG tension adjuster and output jack.JPG bridge top.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    asatfan, Coffeemutt, JL_LI and 5 others like this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

WOW what an original and sexy beast! I have just a regular Glaser on a regular tele and I can attest it functions as flawlessly as it is designed and installed.

3. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Afflicted

That’s a beauty. Is the b-string a bear to change?

4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

5C8C6AA8-16E4-462F-93E3-7B291077AA0F.jpeg 4F32933B-71D1-47A7-A60E-DF545A5D4DD4.jpeg That’s a great idea, and the bread board brings back those Al Perkins memories. In the meantime, here’s my 1989 ASAT, my first Glaser from 1991. Maintenance free operation for three decades, and the original ASAT pickup routs under the pick guard. I haven’t seen one of the new convertible Glasers yet, but that’s why I have my double.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Festofish likes this.
  5. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Double pictures fixed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Really nice Jim, Joe is the master at this stuff. Where is the Spring Tension STOP located ? I can't tell from the photo's. On the Teles its directly under the bridge in front of the spring, mounted to the body.

Looking at the Strat PUP routing , its almost a no brainer to feed the "wire rope" thru the body cavity !

Its awesome !

IMG_0586.JPG

244300 likes this.
  7. Silverface

Not at all. It feeds into the front of the finger. Easier than loading thru rear ferrules!

Yeah, it's a nice feature. I believe Joe first did it on the horribly-named Gibson "Music City Jr." - which is actually great guitar! I traded my original one to Will Ray (he wrote about it in his Premier Guitar "bottom feeder" column) - which prompted me to buy another. There are only about 300 in existence.

Bu you just remove the G/B saddle, flip it over, remove a small pin to release the finger and put it on the "G" saddle, replace the pin, install the saddle/set the intonation - done. Takes about 5 minutes!

It's actually easy even without the cavities - Joe has a video up where he goes through the entire installation. The only time consuming part is pre-making the mechanism on the neck plate!

But Joe routed out some extra room to the side of the cable run so I could route the electronics around the cable more easily.

There's quite a difference between the new ones and yours. The swivel plate moved by the cable fitting is sheet metal with a top fitting, which is much easier to make - one reason he could reduce the price and not affect performance at all.

Changing the throw, though, is very tricky and it'd be easy to foul things up permanently - that's why Joe only offers choice of 3 lengths. He only made an adjustable unit for me because of my background servicing/testing benders and working on/rebuilding dozens of cable-pull Fender Pedal Steels.

bobk, T Prior and RobRiggs like this.
  8. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I love it, Jim. The only thing I'm finding odd is the Keith "D" tuners on the "E" strings..to me, and probably me only, they just look like they don't belong on a Strat (then again, I still have yet to acquire a set for my "Clarence" replica Telecaster built by Andy Kirkpatrick) :(

9. 244300

244300 Tele-Meister

Man I am digging this and your posts. Nice!

10. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

Looks good Jim! I’m lovin my Glaser bender, I tried the b to g conversion and it was incredibly easy and very straightforward………. EC197EC7-9D79-485D-AED4-2ED3CB97D3E7.jpeg

11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Holy Cow!!!

Looking forward to the album. . . .

12. Silverface

Only the top one is on the E, and I use it for tunes like Nashville West- and for slide!

Like Clarence, my low one is on the *A* string! It can b used for songs in G tuning - but the coolest this is a "pre-drop" to G, and pulling it up to A in harmony with the bender from B to C#! Clarence taught me that - the best example - you can hear it on a lot of Byrds boots (it's really clear on the Palladium - I recorded it 12 feet in front of him!)when they come out of the slow bridge in Chestnut Mare.

Look for Indie stuff on Spotify by R. David Cash (sometimes he adds "and the Cadillac Band - I'm on almost all of that except his newest album. If there's bender or Fender pedal steel - it's me). Not the best bad I've been part of, but not bad. somehow "Sacramento" was on top of the Indie charts for something like 5 weeks - SIX years after it was released. And one song, "God Bless the Baby" (his granddaughter mumbling an intro - and a kinda "sappy" song; plus I only played so the drummer and bass player could remember where they were!:confused:) - is very Clarence-y...and was supposed to be a throwaway and I was to come back for overdub & do a "serious, not just screwing around" take later...but he canceled the overdubs - kept the ONE take! In fact he kept ALL the guitar first takes.

It's my TV Jones; Nashville West; And Evans Thinline through a Klon Centaur set for tone and a TINY bit of boost only, and my 35W Holland right at the top of its headroom. There's a hair of my two "stacked" Echoplexes that I told them to use in lieu of reverb (which I dislike on guitars) when mixing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.