1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A bit disappointed...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cheezhead, Mar 7, 2017.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

This is a very important point in all this.

I find it extremely hard to believe they weren't aware of this practice. Which begs the question, why did they accept the job, to begin with?

Either 1) it's a way for them to plead ignorance and gin up more business by offering to fix it after "finding out", or 2) they're honest, but too ignorant to be in the business.

Poppa54 and BooneDog like this.
  2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

It is so true that thinskin nitro is not a true full nitro finish.

Serves you right for trying to cheat time and get a relic on-demand, without the age, wisdom, and experience marks of a true relic.

Now that I think about it, I'm a relic...and I wish for wisdom daily.

bsman likes this.
  3. ehemmer

ehemmer TDPRI Member

Fender didn't use enamel paint. It was either acrylic lacquer or nitro.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Here's a couple white guards to think about! Which is, once again, why I say if you want a relic don't get it reliced...get it finished accurately and you can age it the old fashioned way.

boris bubbanov and RevBillyG like this.
  5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

"Fender says the finish process used on the new Ensenada-built Classic Series Instruments is a polyester undercoat/ sealer, followed by five coats of Seagrave L-4540 high solids nitrocellulose lacquer for the colour and top coats."
    I am not sure how this differs from the American Vintage series nitro jobs , "Thin Skin" models or Custom Shop models.
    Technically the finishes are nitro but the filler, sealer is not. Who cares.
    Also, I am pretty sure Fender stopped using Fullerplast.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay, slight derail here, but something for y'all to chew on for a bit:

For me, one of the most beautiful guitars ever made is the Blackguard Tele. However, these were produced well before I was born, and were well into their third decade of life when I became aware of them. So I've always known them as having wear & tear on them, with corroded hardware and some dents and dings. That's just how I personally know them. So, for me, a shiny new Blackguard with pristine hardware just doesn't look "right".

So what's a guy to do? Spending five figures on a "real" one? Sorry, not going to happen. Oh, and I don't really like the 7.5" neck radius, anyway. So I am left with a modern example for cost and features, but if it's pristine I wouldn't like it nearly as much. If I ever do get one, you can bet your butts it's going to get "the treatment". And I won't care one bit what some folks on the internet think about it.

gtrjunior and Tremade like this.
  7. deytookerjaabs

My point is that if the finish was done under vintage accurate circumstances it wouldn't need a relic job. There's a myth that they look old because of "blood, sweat and tears" which is nonsense. They all aged VERY prematurely, even the case candy (just without the finger marks). That video of Muddy is with a '58 (I think) in the early to mid 60's with his Tele before the refin & neck change. After a few years the thing was checked to death, same with Don Rich's guitar and many oh so many others.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  8. Frodebro

Okay, I'll play along.

This is a couple close-ups of the PRS in my avatar. All of that wear & tear is real, as a result of hundreds and hundreds of bar gigs back in the day. Not once in the last couple of decades has anybody ever commented on the dents & dings, and not once has anybody ever asked me if I did it "for real" or if it is "fake". That's just one of those anomalies that only occurs in the fantasy world of the internet.

IMG_0844.jpg IMG_0843.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
  9. Frodebro

It takes no effort at all to check a nitro finish-just leave it in the cold trunk of your car for an hour, then bring it into a warm room and immediately open the case. It will check right there on the spot.

10. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Fender started using Fullerplast I believe in 1965. They used it as a base coat and then sprayed a lacquer color coat on top of it. I toured the factory in the late 80"s and they put that stuff on thick. I mean it's dripping off the body. Once it's dry the buff off all the drips and polish it up. From a manufacturing point of view it fills the grain much better than lacquer and it dries faster too. The finish will last much longer and I can't really say for sure if it affects the tone of the guitar. They probably don't need to put it on as thick as they do but they don't want to polish through the edges.

11. deytookerjaabs

I had a '96 (I think) AV '52 for 4 years, two of which it was gigged 2-4 nights a week & practiced on 4-8 hours a day being left overnight in Chicago winters many times...I put a couple dings in it, I don't think there was a single check in the guitar when I sold it. Same as my '96 Les Paul Studio.

Different chemicals/mixtures/sealers react differently.

12. El Jeffe

El Jeffe Tele-Meister

That is a guitar to be proud of.

E5RSY and Frodebro like this.
  13. Frodebro

It freaked people out back on the old PRS forum. And I mean some were genuinely disturbed by the battle scars. :D

8barlouie, Jules78 and El Jeffe like this.
  14. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

That's true. Where the rub is is not the manner/method of damage, but whether it was incidental/accidental or intentional.

But it ain't my guitar, and as Sheryl Crow sang for me on iTunes this morning, "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad." :cool:

8barlouie and RevBillyG like this.
  15. Frodebro

What if I get that check from my rich Nigerian uncle who just died, and go out and buy myself a real '59 'Burst? The aging is real, but I didn't do it myself. Would that still fit into youse doodez definition of poser?

16. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Like Relics or hate relics we don't give a crap. Belittle your fellow member for disagreeing with you and you'll be on the outside looking in.

People that prefer the relic finish option are not posers, losers or wanna be players. They are your fellow member that you are expected to show respect to no matter what you think of Relic finished guitars.

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

So we're upset that the finish won't fall apart the way we wanted it to? Is that what's happening here?

18. KB11

KB11 TDPRI Member

I'm sorry there's no way you can hear the difference between a poly and lacquer finish on a solid body electric guitar.
    Lacquer is better but I don't believe you can hear the difference.

19. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

I know right! lol I cant hear the difference and my ears are sensitive. Feeling is another thing. I can feel it resonate differently and I really hate the way the necks feel all covered in poly. Also I love the smell of nitro in the morning. Problem is many people think they sound better because vintage guitars had nitro and vintage guitars are the cats meow. Along comes Fender... and we know the rest. You could hand me a fender nitro over poly and I probably wouldnt know better if it werent for threads like this but its the principal of how they market them. Its just one of many reasons why I dont buy their higher end lines.

20. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

At the very least a mailed registered letter to Fender ( so they for sure look at it) that states your disappointment with the whole she bang..........

They gotta know it's misleading at best

Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.