A Beloved MUTT -- Share Yours

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jeru, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I've posted before about my Esque-G, a 'Silvertone by Samick'
    that I bought in Racine, Wisconsin (1+ hours outside of Chicano),
    for $90. It's been extensively modified:

1) My brother refinished it, just poorly enough
    2) Really nice pickups
    3) I wired it as a Junior
    4) Gibson tuners (Craigslist, $10)
    5) Plumber dropped a LADDER on the thing, dings and dents (but neck joint intact)
    6) And just this weekend, my dear friend put the
    icing on the cake: "Esque G" on the Truss Rod Cover:

Esque.JPG

It's finally done. I love it. Here's the Start-to-finish:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b9f8ajuqdmsqymq/AAAR_UoEn0KOxfXUbFyD79Vha?dl=0

Please post yours.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

It looks great. You may or may not miss having 4 controls, it just depends on how the pickups perform with the body and neck tone-wise.
    I know a guy that just scored a Silvertone 1448 amp in a case and guitar for 15 bucks at a yardsale. The amp just hums when plugged in, so it needs work, but still an awesome deal.
    My Mutt is my avatar guitar. My brother bought it used at a pawnshop in 1970. He gave it to me in 1979 just before I turned 15. It's a 60's Encore made in Japan ES330 clone. The original Mahogany neck broke and was replaced with a Maple neck with Rosewood board. 24.5" scale. The original large extremely microphonic singles were replaced with a Firebird pickup in the neck and a A5 Fat Minibucker in the bridge. It has 2 piezo under the bridge area and wired to a stereo jack. It has a 3-way switch for the 2 pickups and master volume master tone for the pickups. the other volume and tone pots are for the piezo's. The other 3-way switch is a small tone circuit for choice of .022 cap/.033 cap/or no tone circuit. Vintage-1960s-Encore-Teisco-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-_1.jpg Before and after. DSCF3612.JPG

3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Modified '84 G&L SC-3... carved/wood burnt dragon graphics courtesy of a good artist mate of mine. The rest is just wear and tear from heaps of hours busking in rain and sunshine
    The final pic is how it looked when I acquired it years back off of Trade Me.
    I swapped out several parts but it does have stock pu's and electronics... tho I customised the wiring. Plays great and sounds stellar; sonically like both a Strat and a Tele... IMG_20000102_112924.jpg IMG_20000328_082040.jpg IMGP4255.JPG

4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

14059055455_569cb5fa36_o.jpg

My main bass for 10 years. I don't think any two major components on it are from the same bass. '90s MIJ reissue body. '00s AVRI '62 Fender Replacement Neck. Duncan pickup. Can't remember where the guard came from, but it's not original either. The tuners are gold, which I don't like, but the neck came that way (used), and I never got around to changing them out for silver colored ones. I added the covers too. I don't know what vintage the case is, but I think it's notably older than any of the parts that make up the bass. This thing has hundreds of gigs on it, even more practices, and has been all around the country with me for literally tens of thousands of miles. I just last year moved it down to occasional use when I got two new, really nice Fender reissues (an AV P and AV J). Oh, and the same strap has been in place the whole time that I've used it.

To the side, that's my old trusty bass amp that I used exclusively for 22 years, until last year, when I bought a PF-800 and several PF cabs. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it, despite horrific sonic abuse, and spending, quite literally, many years of its life just living in the car.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

These are EXCELLENT.

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mine is a 68 Fender Palomino. They were only made for three years. Not many liked them back then and even fewer have heard of them now. They say Johnny Cash played one for awhile.

[​IMG]

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I often refer to my #1 (avatar) as a "mongrelcaster", which fits with your "mutt" theme. I've posted extensively about its evolution, but for those who haven't read those posts(and for those who are sick and tired of me describing it, I apologize) here it is again.
    A 1993 Korean Fender Squier (red) bought at a guitar show nearly twenty years ago for $100. In no particular order, it's had the red stripped off, Tung Oil natural, (with a forearm bevel) Warmoth fatback, 24 3/4" scale neck, (with Wilkinson Kluson style tuners w/ split-shaft tuners) three or four different bridges (currently Wilkinson top-load ash tray with 3 compensated saddles) four or five different pickup sets, both two and three p/ups configurations, (currently Bootstrap Palo Duro Tele set plus Bootstrap Strat in middle) and several different tortoise pickguards. In fact, the only ORIGINAL parts are the body, control plate, and strap buttons.

8. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

My no 1 is a mutt, although I've done my best to bring it back to something a bit more glamorous.

When I got it there was a shopping list of issues: refinish that looked ok from a distance but had runs and orange peel up close, painted over pickup covers, and swapped bridge, tuners and tailpiece. It was cheap for what it was though, and I gigged it as it was for a few years.
    [​IMG]

Gradually over the last decade I began to acquire other vintage guitars in better condition, and the more time I spent around vintage gear the more this battered old thing began to bother me. I thought about selling it and putting the money towards another 330 with less issues, but whenever I sat down with it I remembered how much I loved this particular one. Eventually I got in touch with a guy that does excellent vintage correct nitro finish work, we discussed it and decided to try to bring this one back - so it now has a great looking aged heather poly refinish, we cleaned up the pickup covers to reveal the original nickel and we found a more correct period Bigsby, a set of mid 60s Klusons and a mid 60s ABR. So, it's not a collector's guitar but possibly not the mutt it was. If I loved it before though, it really is perfect now.
    [​IMG]

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

E73A4B11-63CE-4DEB-9A62-F101DF1CB71C.jpeg E781C928-FB68-444C-BF03-AC0BC7FFEAE3.jpeg

My avatar critter.
    It’s my oldest guitar, and former #1.
    It’s #2 now, after my Chet.
    I got the Phiip Kubicki neck in 1984.
    It originally had an ebony fingerboard and Strat headstock.
    It “lived” on a couple of other guitars before this one.
    The body was made by Bill Giebitz in 1987.
    The F hole is just for looks, it’s not hollow, or a Thinline.
    Bill put the rosewood board and LP trapezoid inlays on it.
    It originally was Kelly Green “candy color”, and had a Gibson PAF in the neck position and a green covered Duncan Strat middle pickup.
    I got Bill to refinish it “hippie natural” abour 10 years ago.
    It’s my “all country/all night” guitar.
    It’s always had a Hipshot on it.
    It’s not a guitar, it’s a giant, un-ending modification!
    It’s made me more $ than all my other guitars.
    We’re talking dozens of dollars here!

capt pearl, JCW1024, preactor and 5 others like this.
  10. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

My first electric was a '70s Mansfield goldtop copy:

[​IMG]

Several years ago I bought a body & neck off eBay and used a pair of Hagstrom pickups from the '70s and various parts collected over the years to make a similar guitar. I still need to swap the creme plastics for black, like the old Mansfield had, but it's nice to have a reminder of that first guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry for the fuzzy picture but it's what I have at the moment. I bought this guitar at a pawn shop for around $150. The body is a hardtail Strat of unknown origin and the neck is a Carvin. When I bought it, it only had a Carvin 22 pole bridge humbucker. I replaced it with a SD JB Trembucker. A year or so after I got it I added the neck P-90. I'm not sure if it's better with it as it changed the guitar. I gigged it as a single pick up guitar and I really liked it that way. The controls are Volume, a Coil Cut switch and Tone with a Gibson style Three Way switch.

I replaced the saddles with brass ones and the string gauges have gone from .0095 to .011 sets and back a few times. These days I mostly use it for playing slide. I want to replace the neck with a fatter one. The current neck has a real flat fingerboard and it's on the thin side. Probably a shredder's delight. I'm also thinking of replacing the pickups and controls with standard Stratocaster ones and a white pickguard that I have it in the parts box with a Lollar custom rewound Mighty-Might bridge pickup. There's always an unfinished project around, right?

Guitars and Gear 027.jpg

Guitars and Gear 028.jpg

Guitars and Gear 029.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    hellopike, Zepfan and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, don't have any mutt guitars ( cheap, yes!)
    Just a mutt ( not really a mutt either)
    Lucy, The whack-job yellow lab
    20180806_220220.jpg 20181225_150253.jpg

preactor, Nubs, brookdalebill and 5 others like this.
  13. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Yes. Almost frighteningly so.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The f hole is routed down below the top, right?
    That's gotta relieve the overall weight an ounce or two. ;)

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Fender Japan neck (huge soft/medium V from a TL-52), Squier FSR Bullet Tele body/bridge, Seymour Duncan Little '59 bridge and Vintage Stack neck PUs, upgraded electronics, and Armadillo brass knobs/switch tip.

partscaster.jpg

Mincer likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Most of my guitars are mutts or cast-offs. This one is a good example, a Harmony/Global H-801

[​IMG]

I got it in a storage unit auction lot described as "restaurant decor" aka assorted junk. It had been on the wall of a seaside bar for a number of years. The electronics and tuners were corroded and the whole guitar was covered in grime and grease. It took a bit of work to fix it up, including replacing the original pickup with a P90 shaved down to fit in the original enclosure. It's now one of my favorite slide guitars.

Zepfan and Paul in Colorado like this.
  17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's a gorgeous refinish, dude.

- D

jayyj likes this.
  18. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Over the last couple years, I built a bunch of Tele partscasters. Some with really nice bits. I realized I had enough “leftovers” to assemble another whole Tele, so I got the last 10% I needed, and made this: B35D909D-4CAA-4D02-ABD2-EBF8F88FA726.jpeg 94619530-F336-46F3-BF86-5DA5B51C97D7.jpeg E5E11A30-718D-4F69-AA90-AAA6CF9B2877.jpeg
    My daughter pretty much snapped it up, and has been playing it a lot. I gotta say, I prefer this to my other, highly modified Teles, 95% of the time! It’s a Squire body, a Squier neck that somebody tried to make into a Fender (bad decal and relicing that I reversed) an Artec A5 bridge pup, and some kind of “boutique” A2 Strat pup in the neck that a friend gave me for rewiring his guitar. Oh, and parts box wiring. It plays nice, it sounds good and other than being a little heavy it’s the guitar I reach for pretty much every time I wanna play (other than when my daughter has it, that is)
    It SHOULDN’T have turned out as nice as it did, but it did...

Zepfan and hellopike like this.
  19. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I just posted this in the Strat sub forum, but here it is again....

A360B402-D270-4612-BA6D-14C2921C0C3E.jpeg

The abridged story is that it’s a Squier “Strat pack” Strat I bought on Craigslist for $35 about 4 years ago. I changed it’s pickups about 3-4 times, i stripped it’s original finish and painted it about 3 different colors and finally tried weathering it with an inverted can of canned air. It sat with corroded cheap pickups in the basement for a year or so until I bought a prewired pickguard from eBay. I slapped some stickers on it and strung it up just this Monday. I’m having fun with it.

jayyj likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.